Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noobwithawarrior

Reaction score
So im def new to this forums thing. and engine work. Im not completly retarded but if i seem like idk what im talking about, its because i dont. I just purchased a 350 warrior for cheep, not looking to puch too much into it. just enought to get it running. But ill spend what i need. It would run befor but would get real hot real fast and smoke, then you couldnt rev too high or it would bog down and die. plus heavy slaming. The first time we started it it ran perfect, took it home and it started doing what i just said. First im gonna get all new gaskets and a new piston.. I took the top end apart and cleaned it, and it looks like someone made a little camp fire in on top of the piston. it also moved side to side in the sleave.. i thought it was suppose to be tight up against the walls but idk. The sleeve is clean, like no scratches or cuts. so i guess in the big picture how do i know if the guy befor me had it bored? or should i just get standerd piston kit with gaskets and hope it fits? Or how do i know what size piston i need? and if i doo get a bored piston do i have to get the sleave thing machined too, and what about that honing thing? hahaha sorry for all the confusion but i hope someone can help. PLEASE HELP..

Last edited:
First thing, buy a Clymer it answers most of your questions.

Go on ebay and search for Clymer Warrior, they are like 30 bucks shipped. Must have if you own a warrior imo.

You have to measure, like I said it's all laid out in the repair manual. You need some measurement tools to measure the bore of the cylinder. Then you can figure out if you need to bore it further or buy a piston that'll fit the bore that's already there.

Well there are always pros and cons. But if you bought a 366 kit or something you should be fine, then you just get the jug machined for that piston size.

ha sorry for asking dumb questions but is the jug the like sleeve? the tube that runs through the head, i read somewere that you have to hone or something so that your piston dosnt catch ?

When you get it machined they should do that for you. But yes the jug is between the bottom end and the head. It's the part the piston is in. That whole piece comes off.

ya i took mine off a couple hours ago and have been attempting to clean it... so i think im just gonna get a like .60 over ? plust top end gaskits, does that make sense ?

Well you get what you pay for....

Standard bore size is 83mm, will 1 mill fill up that gap? I wonder if that would even be big enough if you have that much play in the jug.

will .60 not give me more power ? or whats wrong with it? Would i have to get the jug bored still.. or is less room beteween the piston and jug the better

If it's got that much movement with the current piston that's bad, you'd definitely want tighter clearance then that. That's what I was saying, would 1mm make up enough to make a proper fit? I'd probably shoot for something a bit bigger and get the jug machined so that it's perfect.

.060 over would give you a bit more power, I'm not sure how much exactly? Says 84.5mm which 84mm is 357cc's.

Another idea, if you have that much play order new rings and a used jug with a standard size bore on it. But you'd have to measure your piston and make sure it's the proper size (83mm) this wouldn't give you any extra power, but would be cheap probably, at least it wouldn't be a cheap piston? Maybe that piston is ok though I'm not sure?

Well i think im just gona go with the first idea, but yes there was alot of movement, plus it the piston slid from side to side.. didnt think it was suppose to do that. im guessing that was what the slamming was that i hurd when it was runining, but somehow theres no scratches on the jug
.. how bad of an idea is it to buy a cheap piston?

Like I said before if you have THAT much movement then I don't know that going up 1.5mm would be enough? You really should just measure the bore.

That's a nice price! I'd go for that for sure. Of course they are out of stock lol.

85mm should leave you plenty of room to get it machined as well.

Back