Header glowing red

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reminds me of when i did a deep river crossing this summer (water was almost up to the exhaust pipe if i recall correctly) bogged down big time going across, took a while to run like normal once I got across the river. Then when I crossed the river again to go back, it bogged down coming out and eventually shut off and I couldn't get it started again. 5 minutes later it fired right up. I read in one thread that it could be some electrical connections that are getting fucked up when they get soaked with water?

i'm affraid i'm going to crack the head because its getting so hot that the header glows red i have owned quads and none of them have done that lol i dont like it

you had air cooled motors on your quads or water cooled? Air cooled motors run very hot at slow speeds and idles. Have you thought about the oil cooler mod. I plan on using one and from what I hear it is inexpensive and worthwhile, it can draw a significant amount of heat from the motor. Is your warrior stock? bored? stroked? that all adds heat as well. The water and shutting off/ sputtering is a totally different problem than your heat. It sounds to me that you may have a connector getting wet (Dialectric grease all fittings & wires) or maybe a cracked ignition coil? In that case cover your coil with silicone or buy new for about 15 bucks. Hope it helps.

you had air cooled motors on your quads or water cooled? Air cooled motors run very hot at slow speeds and idles. Have you thought about the oil cooler mod. I plan on using one and from what I hear it is inexpensive and worthwhile, it can draw a significant amount of heat from the motor. Is your warrior stock? bored? stroked? that all adds heat as well. The water and shutting off/ sputtering is a totally different problem than your heat. It sounds to me that you may have a connector getting wet (Dialectric grease all fittings & wires) or maybe a cracked ignition coil? In that case cover your coil with silicone or buy new for about 15 bucks. Hope it helps.

This is my first quad so I've only had experience with air cooling. When I first saw the red header last summer, I did a lot of research and everyone's opinion varied on all the different sites I visited.. I saw people saying it was running lean, others said that it was normal for an air cooled motor's header pipe to glow when idling, and then others said it was very bad, and not normal.

I'm fairly sure I'm going to do the oil cooler mod somewhere down the line, just not sure exactly when. My Warrior is stock. And yeah I'm gonna make sure that I use dialectic grease on all my wires before the summer starts, however, how would I be able to tell if my ignition coil is cracked rather than it just being electrical connections getting wet?

grease all wires/connectors and splashsoak test it again. If it still studders and spits change your coil.

better yet, :evilface: grease the electrical componants and get your buddy with his 4x4 and you guys ride your bikes through the nearest stream or water hole! at least ya get a little:atv: time that way haha! And then you will know if ya need a coil :nanner:

if you have the stock carb make sure your accel pump is shooting fuel in the damn intake, my stocker did that to me a few times and i hated it

Ok hold on now guys I'm a moron when it comes to things like this I need step by step help tell me what these things mean lol

Back