Rebuild of my Raptor 350

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the carrier drilled and taped for a grease fitting then got the bearings installed. I also drilled holes in the spacer to let grease in.
raptor448.jpg

raptor449.jpg

I bet that will work great and it is all looking good finally all coming together!

Yeah was a pain finding the right size tap and everything but once I got everything I needed it went well. I also had to buy a huge socket to hit the bearings in with.

Looks good, but what's the point of drilling holes in the spacer? It's just going to use more grease and let some of it slip out between the axle and inner bearing race instead of forcing it through the bearings.

I want the axle it self to get lubed also so nothing rust and makes it easier to take apart next time. It will still get force against the bearing the seals will hold it in. With only 4 holes most of it wants to stay outside the spacer anyway. I heard of other people doing it this way I thought it was a good idea.

I always just put a little grease between the axle and sleeve when I installed it, once the grease is in there it's not going to go anywhere.

I wouldn't expect to have to take that thing apart ever again anyways, those bearings will last forever as long as they're greased and moisture doesn't get in there.

If you haven't assembled it yet, I would recommend using the lightest grease you can find for a grease gun. I used heavy duty equipment lithium grease, for construction equipment because my buddy got me a case of it for free. I kinda regret doing it because the grease was so thick it really added a lot of rolling resistance because the grease will constantly be rolling between the axle and carrier when it's turning. After a couple miles of riding it would loosen up to a reasonable level but every time i regreased it the axle would get kinda tight again. It didn't really hurt anything but it's unnecessary drag that would have been easily avoided.

Thanks I just used belray grease I had in my grease gun. It is kind of thick but should loosen up like you said after riding.

man your doing an awesome job on this thing, its going to be super clean when your done. love the powder coating. keep up the good job.

Looks great man, almost makes me wanna tear my quad back apart and clean it andput it back together.

Is it just me or do you have your axle in backwards? Does it matter which end the nut is on? I've always only seen it on the sprocket side.

I think im going to redo the axle in truck bed liner im not too confident in the gun metal powder coating it seems to chip easy. The black seems fine though.

HAhahhahahhahah, I just had a great laugh. Thanks! The engine in the engine hoist really made me crack up.

Looks good though , its gunna look better then new when finished. Awesome build!

Back