2-stroke IT490 motor swap

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the edge that jagged or is the shaft hollow? If so I'd ditch it for round stock so you can really burn the weld in there.

Yah it's hollow.
Actually it broke fairly clean, and the slug is still in the other part of the shaft.
I used a chromoly rod before, and didn't get very good fusion. (obviously)
But I'm gonna bevel the **** out of it this time, (right down to the slug) and go stainless.. That'll stick it together. :tup:
You can weld anything together with a stainless rod.. lol

If that doesn't work, then I'll have to start from scratch. But you have to remember, that shaft has to slide threw the seal on the clutch cover. So I would have to machine it.
It would also have to be hardened..
4340 chromoly tubing would be the best stuff to use, if starting from scratch.

id just take it to a machine shop and show them what you need and get that sucker made from a piece of solid cromoly! and you can forget about it! because if it will do it once, it will do it twice.

id just take it to a machine shop and show them what you need and get that sucker made from a piece of solid cromoly! and you can forget about it! because if it will do it once, it will do it twice.

Couldn't agree more! That shaft needs to be HARD and last. its gunna get plenty or abuse and wear and tear. Just to it right once and forget about it.

So I thought I would update this a bit..
I actually have a girlfriend of mine that's a model, and she's gonna pose with the hybrid. :tup:

I'm not really going to say why I'm gonna go that far, but it'll be cool..

Here's a fresh pic of where it's at now. I'm going to change the look though, and scrap the YZ theme. I'm going to paint all the silver parts gold.

490warrior.jpg

Get that kicker fixed son! Wanna see some vids you your rippin it.

Bikini shots????????

Get that kicker fixed son! Wanna see some vids you your rippin it.

Bikini shots????????

Yah I did.. I was riding it yesterday, but that carb is junk. :tdown:
I took your guys advice, and I'm trying to get a kicker shaft made. But the cheapest quote I got was $300.

As for these model pics I dunno about the bikini thing, but we'll have some fun with it. Shes a beautiful woman, you guys won't be disappointed. :iagree:

Last edited:
Hey don't feel bad about the carb... I'm still having mega issues with the fcr. Although I may have found the accel pump to be the prob. It was missing a "gasket", as yamaha calls it, in the pump cover and it would leak bad. I don't know if it was missing before I cleaned it the 1st time or not, but that's besides the point. I put an o-ring in it and that stopped the leak, and I have a very good spray of fuel. But this thing is acting like I'm running it without ANY intake setup, and as soon as you gap it from idle it sucks air and stalls. However, gradually go from idle to wot and it doesn't skip a beat, no matter the clip position. Keep feathering the throttle in the midrange while you ride and it is a raped ape. So if the pump isn't spraying like it should, it would do what it is doing. Ordered the "gasket" yesterday, along with the accel pump rod boot for my stocker. I'll put that mofo back on if I need too. It works! lol. And, just today I noticed (why I didn't try this in the begining IDK!) if I bring it into the midrange and hold it there, it loads up and gets boggie. So how can it be lean and rich at the same time? It can't, I'm going with my gut and condeming the accel pump.

Dude that sounds kinda harsh..

My problem is just an old wore out carb. :disgust:
The needles wore, the slide is kinda scuffed, the floats are rotten, ect".

I really wish I had the money for a "brand spanky new" 40mm PWM
It would be nice to start with a fresh carb, and not have to worry about stupid little problems.

Yah I did.. I was riding it yesterday, but that carb is junk. :tdown:
I took your guys advice, and I'm trying to get a kicker shaft made. But the cheapest quote I got was $300.

As for these model pics I dunno about the bikini thing, but we'll have some fun with it. Shes a beautiful woman, you guys won't be disappointed. :iagree:

Yeash. Do you happen to have all the specs for this? You can try to call a local school or college and see if they would be willing to do it for you. They often can do it for cheap and use the time to make it as a teaching tool.

OR, just keep calling around to machinists everywhere (they can ship it out) and try to find the one with the lowest price. Even then if you want it done locally, you can use that cheapest price to see if they will match it or loose your business.

I called a couple of places in Calgary, but they said it would be charged by the hour and material... So they couldn't really give me a quote. Plus I would either have to go there, or mail them the shaft I have for reference..

But it's a kinda complex part, and wouldn't be real easy to machine, or I would just do it myself.

Yah their hollow.. I'm starting to think the shaft I customized is some kinda stainless alloy? Because I welded it back together with a stainless rod, and got real good fusion this time. lol

If I was to make one, it would all have to be the same material or I'll run into problems again.. So the whole piece would have to be machined to match the one I customized..
There is a collar on it thats pressed on, it's part of the slip gear. I can reuse that part. lol

Thanks for sayin that Weston. I was thinking the same. You could even put a rod in the one end, weld it to the stub, then slip the other end over and weld it together. That way not only would the rod inside support the downward leverage applied while kicking, but it would absorb the twisting force applied while kicking, too.

I used a stainless slug this time, and had a .040 gap, and I had a mean bevel. It's welded together good!! If it breaks apart again, I'm gonna go squirrely..

Latest posts

Back