2-stroke IT490 motor swap

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Leaded stuff must be the good stuff LMAO

Leaded stuff must be the good stuff LMAO
Well leaded fuel will stop carbon from building up in the chamber. It also helps the rings seat better, and keep head temps down.
So in the long run, leaded gas is better for 2 strokes. Or air cooled motors in general.. :iagree:

I've also found that a lot of higher octane fuels are leaded. I'm not really sure why though??

So I thought I would give my thread a bump seeing as we have a build section now.

I have to redo the mount for my silencer (which requires cutting, and welding), and I was actually thinking about buy'n a bigger pipe. So I will do a better job of mounting the new one in.
The pipe I have is just kinda flop'n around in the frame..
I'm actually in the process of stripping my quad back down right now, and redoing some stuff on the frame. Then I'm going to repaint it. Get things ready for some upgrades. :tup:

I'm looking for some advice from the forum patrons..
I'm gonna tear my quad apart, as I said above. But I've really been thinking about doing a color change?
I'm going to have to repaint my frame after I do a few mods, and I'm gonna use a different paint. A darker metallic red.

So I got to thinking... I should just loose all the gold, and silver. In favor of chrome (polished aluminum), and black.
New wheels, polished. And get a few things chromed.
Then have the swinger, a-arms, stem, nerfs, bumper/grab bar all black..

What do you guys think about that?

Last edited:
So I thought I would reopen my thread for what will hopefully be the finally of this build?
I'm starting to collect some parts, and I'm borrowing a heater for my garage.
I have to finish fixing my swingarm, as I'm just gonna run it stock for now. I need some chain rollers, and some exhaust work yet.. Nothing to serious, just time consuming boring stuff....

I'm gonna take a few pics as I go, but there will only be video when I get to the point I feel comfortable riding this thing!
So if you have some kind of asshole comment about no video yet. Keep it to yourself...
If you wanna see if I can actually finish this build, stay tuned.

So I was doing some research on a few other things I can do to my quad, to make it look like an era correct YZ490.. I realized I messed up.

This is a 87' YZ490, notice what color the frame is? 87' & 88' were the only years to have a white frame.

87YZ490_zpsb765dc94.jpg

The 86' had a red frame. I think I'm going to repaint my frame...

That would look really cool. Red seat, white frame, red shock covers. I got a rancho shock cover. Maybe it would fit, but I only got one.

That would look really cool. Red seat, white frame, red shock covers. I got a rancho shock cover. Maybe it would fit, but I only got one.
The rancho shock cover idea is interesting... Maybe I'll check out ebay?
As for the seat.. As much as it saddens me. I'm gonna have to sell my croc skin seat, and go with a red one. Just to make it look right.

Heavens to Betsy! How could you, the smoker king, mess up this bad on color scheme?! lol

Well I had brought up a bunch of 490 pics when I painted it last summer, and didn't really look at the years.
I was more looking at the difference in the emblems on the tank... Oh well. Oooops.

Back