2-stroke IT490 motor swap

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I ran into yet another snag with my kicker today...
I was cycle'n it threw a few revs to check for binding, when I noticed the kicker wasn't returning all the way?
Like WTF now!!
So I tore it all apart again..

I thought it might have been my steady bearing but I wasn't so lucky. So I had to pull the clutch, and the shaft "again"..
Turns out the back of the shaft where it sits in the case is binding. But I don't really know why??
There is no real way for lubricant to get in there, and it looks like it could use some?

Any suggestions???

grease her up and slap it in lol

Well that was actually the first thing that came to my mind, but it would require a regular maintenance schedule.
That shaft is a bitch to get out of there.. I have to pretty well pull the motor to get it out.
My neighbor gave me a couple of interesting ideas.

1. Drill a hole in the case where the kicker shaft seats.. Drill, and tap it for a grease zerk.. But would grease floating around in there affect the clutch?? (It probably would)

2. Cut a few reliefs in the end of the kicker shaft.. This might allow some oil to get in to the seat?? (Or the edges of the cuts will chew it up more)

I dunno what to do.. I hate take'n it apart all the time. :argh:

So it's binding? Meaning it will not rotate back into it's complete rested position? I would make sure there are to burrs or "buggering" on the end. Take some emery paper or fine grit sand paper and clean it up. I'd put some wheel bearing grease on it, too. You probably don't have to go crazy, just apply a decent film over it. If you say that it doesn't get much lube from the engine, the grease will more than likely have a hard time even coming out and contaminating the crankcase. Also, check the bore in the case for burrs and such. Could be that simple.

So it's binding? Meaning it will not rotate back into it's complete rested position? I would make sure there are to burrs or "buggering" on the end. Take some emery paper or fine grit sand paper and clean it up. I'd put some wheel bearing grease on it, too. You probably don't have to go crazy, just apply a decent film over it. If you say that it doesn't get much lube from the engine, the grease will more than likely have a hard time even coming out and contaminating the crankcase. Also, check the bore in the case for burrs and such. Could be that simple.

Well tomorrow I'm gonna take the shaft into the shop, and clean up the end on the lathe.. Then I'll buy some fine grit sanding drums for my dremel, and try to clean up that bore a bit?

This is a stupid set back, and it pisses me off!! :mad:

I really wanted to get it running today, and take it for a "real good" shake down run (now that I have it all together, and most of the bugs worked out)..
Hopefully I'll have enuf time to do that tomorrow?

Well it's another day of waiting on people, and parts.. So I decided to pull out the old Alba nerfs I had stashed, and see how they look on this old dog..

Comments? Cause it's nerfs, or nothing.. lol
Or should I buy some better looking ones?

Quad20.jpg

I thought about that.........I'm mocking up my headlight mount, and drinking beer right now. :tup:

It's just cardboard, but thats where it's gonna be.
Headlight2.jpg

Headlight.jpg

The progress looks good......

On your headlight mounting plate, can I suggest a few radius' on the corners?

-Rhyno

P.S.......Hurry up with the video......I wanna see this thing RIP!

I actually like em. I think they look better on yours because you have no mud flaps, and you cut you rear fenders short.

I actually like em. I think they look better on yours because you have no mud flaps, and you cut you rear fenders short.
Yah the more I look at them, the more I think they belong.
I cut the mud flaps off to give it a sportier look, and then hacked about 1,1/2" off the outside of the rear fenders to match.. The short cut on the rears is function over form.

I tell you guys.. These pictures I take do this quad no justice!
It looks killer in the sunlight, and I can't wait to make a video for yah guys. (I just hope I don't hurt myself)
Thats coming sooner than you think to Rhyno. :tup:

Last edited:
I love those bars what kind are they?
and nerfs look good maybe paint em red with white nets to match

I love those bars what kind are they?
and nerfs look good maybe paint em red with white nets to match

Are you asking about my handle bars Hauler??
If you are, their moose racing YFZ bars.. I got them on sale. :iagree:

As for painting the nerfs... I would like to avoid that if I could. Their powder coated black, and new nets are $50. They only have black, red, and blue that fit them...

If anything, I would paint them silver (maybe gold) and keep the black nets. Their still new. I only ran them a few times.

So those of you waiting on a video of me riding this thing, your going to have to wait a bit longer.....

I need to get some exhaust work finished up before I can ride it, I poked a small hole in the expansion chamber because it was hitting the lower a arm mount.. So I'm going to redo all of the exhaust mounts (Modify my custom head pipe), and pick the whole system up an inch or so.
I also ordered a lower chain roller off ebay, and gawd only knows when it'll get here?

I plan on taking it to the mountains on the weekend of the 24th, 25th, and 26th. So stay tuned.

Video......????? I have yet to see a running two smoke warrior yet we have a few of them on here????? werid

Alright guys... I need some advice?
I had to take my custom made kicker shaft back. They messed it all up, and there was no way it was gonna work. They gave me $170 bucks back, and heat treated my original.. They also x-rayed it to check for flaws, it all looked good.

So now that I have everything back together, the end of the kicker is binding worse than ever. (to the point that the kicker won't return to neutral)
This is a serious problem, and I have no idea what to do about it?

Where the kicker shaft rests in the case, theres no bushing, bearing or fack all!! The inside of the shaft seat is all chewed to ****..

I really need some advice on what I should do here.

Never mind, I fixed it.. I found an old brass bushing that was the perfect diameter. I drilled it out, and tapped it in there with a hammer.. No more play.

Back