My '03 Blaster Project

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it will b really hard to get 32+hp out of a blaster i dont think that it will b even 25 hp bc if it was 32 that would b more then a yfz450 has stock

well, that's what the vito's site says. it'll still be damn fun to ride though.

Looks good but get some brake cleaner and spray off the over spray on the tires. Would love to have found that for my kids to ride. Your a lucky guy.

was gonna do something to get the over spray off. so brake cleaner works pretty good for that? i'll have to give it try.

well, that's what the vito's site says. it'll still be damn fun to ride though.

was gonna do something to get the over spray off. so brake cleaner works pretty good for that? i'll have to give it try.
o yes it will b alot of fun i had a blaster with alot done to it and it was a blast to ride i think that is how they got the name blaster

well, since the activity on the site has been absolute crap the last few days i figured i'd update this thread.

100_0813.jpg

100_0820.jpg

100_0818.jpg

ran my leakdown test on this thing and found that the head gasket is shot, but also discovered that the piston is toast too. a good chunk is out of it as you can see. guess thats why i only managed 30 psi on the compression test as well.

btw, with it just like you see i raced my buddies warrior and beat him. he's not the best rider nor am i, but this thing was turning up like crazy and running like a raped ape.

i'm going to send the jug and head off to Ken O'Connor Racing for an aggressive trail port and head re-design and to take it to the next available size and i'll probably go with a Wiseco Prolite piston. oh yeah, KOR does great things with 4 strokes as well.

stay tuned...

Last edited:
Sweet! Damn that piston doesnt look the best haha. So will this blaster keep up with ur warrior? My buddy has a stock blasty and when i would race him with my old 87 he wouldnt come close to me in a drag...

i dunno about it keeping up with my warrior. like i said my buddy is not the best rider so it would be pointless to put him on mine and line them up. his warrior is suppose to have a hot cam and a high comp piston in it, but i think the clutch is screwy on it.

humm never seen a 2 stroke piston bust the ring lip... good job! lol. 99% of th time when a piston breaks it's the skirt and it takes the crank bearings with it,

finally the long awaited (for me) rebuild has begun...

100_0910.jpg

100_0911.jpg

100_0912.jpg

would you look at this piston! two chunks out of the ring lip and only one ring. no wonder i couldn't get any more than 30 psi haha

100_0915.jpg

100_0916.jpg

100_0917.jpg

good news for me, the crank is in great shape. very little play in the big end bearing and no up and down play. everything seems solid in the bottom end (big relief).

100_0919.jpg

i think this topend has been redone before. pretty sure this is not an OEM piston. has ART on it, anyone know about these?

100_0920.jpg

amazingly with all the damage to the piston there was no scrapes or gouges in the cylinder wall.

100_0922.jpg

where i stopped at. gonna start back on it when i can get my topend to Ken O'Connor Racing (highly recommend him for 2 stroke work) for the porting, head mod, and bore. i plan to go with a wiseco pro lite piston and cometic gaskets.

100_0923.jpg

ah, okay. wasn't sure about it. maybe i'm lucky enough for it to be on the std bore.

Did you find any of the pieces? Are those pieces of piston and ring stuck in the exhaust or do you think they blew out?

i feel most sure that they blew out. nothing was out of the ordinary when i checked the bottom end.

so, this thing has taken a sharp turn for the better. ran into an unbelievable deal on some parts and of course i scooped them up. i'll have pics of everything i picked up and pics with them installed.

can't believe how it's gonna turn out. only bought this blaster to fix the engine and ride it and now...well you'll see. i'm super stoked about it.

here's how this project is going:

cfm airbox w/ uni air filter, 35mm kehin airstriker carb, and boyeson reeds with spacer
100_0949.jpg

awesome grab bar
100_0950.jpg

asr +3+1 long travel arms with tierods, yfz triple rate works shocks, and banshee spindles and hubs
100_0952.jpg

brand new never used g-force axle
100_0953.jpg

a/m clutch lever w/ cable, powdercoated throttle assembly, new brake handle rezzie (bars go to my buddy, not mine)
100_0954.jpg

everything waiting to go back together
100_0955.jpg

gonna be far from the "buy it, fix it, ride it" project it was meant to be. should keep me busy the next couple of evenings. then the topend will be here wooooo....

i have returned with mo pics:

100_0956.jpg

100_0957.jpg

100_0958.jpg

100_0960.jpg

100_0961.jpg

100_0962.jpg

100_0963.jpg

100_0964.jpg

100_0965.jpg

100_0966.jpg

still waiting for the topend lol. ready to get this thing blasting...

Back