I got a new Warrior project for free

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just hook your jumper box to the frame and touch the positive to the wire going to the starter. This will crank it over so you can get a compression test done.
I've got a spare seat but I bet shipping would be a killer.

Good Idea. I think the reason it won't start is because the starter wire is literally just the wire, No insulation and looks like trash so it's probably broken somewhere and also there is another couple wires lose, one from the rear of the crankcase that I'm not sure what it goes to yet and another from the reverse shift is unhooked.

I'm hoping it has good compression, I was told it did. If it has compression I can have it running sooner than later.

I opened the gas tank and it is full of red chaulky, sandy material. I washed it out with Mineral spirits but I am afraid to use it. It definitely needs a new petcock cause this one leaks on closed and has that red stuff all over it. I figure that red stuff is old dried mixed gas.

My zip code is 30656 if you want to check the shipping on that seat. I have to find one anyways with a decent cushion cause the new cushions are expensive compared to getting a used seat. This is a budget rebuild considering Christmas is right around the corner.

Thanks

Oh I am missing the rear Caliper too. The hydraulic line looks like a rusted mess. Front brakes are all there but I guess they are empty because they are working or maybe they are seized open.

I tried to start it with my jump box on the starter and the frame, it only sparked a little. For a minute I thought the motor might be seized from sitting outside but I put in 6th gear and was able to move the motor by rolling it.
I pulled the starter off and pulled it apart. It looks fine inside. Good brushes and it spins freely. I then put it in my vise after putting it back together and bench tested it and still nothing. I just ordered another one off Ebay. It should be here in 3-4 days.

I tried rolling it enough to get a compression test but it would only roll enough to go up to the compression stroke and the compression stopped it from rolling, so guess that's a good thing.

Vin #

How do you figure the translation from the letter to the year for the bike I just got a warrior with a trade and some parts etc and its 10th digit is a H I assume by the headlights and pull start its a 87 to 89 ?

So I went to pull the oil plug.... OMG! Gray Water filled oil came rushing out. It was FULL of water. I am amazed it's not seized. The oil filter was full of water too. I guess it could have been worse but it's not pretty. Gonna rinse the crankcase with mineral spirits a couple times and then refill it with oil. Everything SHOULD be ok cause I did put oil in the cylinder before I rolled it over in gear. I still haven't really turned over the motor completely so I didn't do any damage thank god. Hopefully I will get my new starter in the mail today and after rinsing and refilling I can check the compression. Gonna be VERY gentle with it at first since it hasn't had the best lubrication. I think I might let it sit with oil in it over night to soak before trying to turn it over with the new starter.

I painted the plastics yesterday but I am not happy with the Silver. I wanted more of a gun metal dark gray so I might repaint them, but I like the orange. I wanted something bright and different..Why not...

I threw my 87 Warrior seat on it to see how it would look

I also race cut my front fenders

Those are Honda front wheels and blaster rear wheels and hubs.

There's a vin decoder on the web. Google it.

Oh, now that makes more sense.
I got a pair of Warrior 9" wheels for the rear, I will source a set of front wheels next.
I thought those rear wheels looked really small for a Warrior.
Should I assume I will need Warrior hubs as well or is it the same lug pattern?

I'm gonna need to figure out the body bolt size. I have NO body bolts at all. If I knew the size I can go to Lowes and get Stainless bolts.

I also discovered yesterday that the swing arm and rear axle bearings are shot.

Last night I rinsed the crankcase with mineral spirits and then filled with oil.
I hooked up a battery and turned it over for a compression test.
This is what I got.

Not that great..... Not sure if the rings might be stuck or what.

I poured a little gas into the cylinder and turned it over and it started right up. I couldn't believe how easy it started. So I know the compression isn't the best BUT either it will get a little better after running through a heat cycle OR I will continue with the restoration for now and rebuild the top end after this season. We will see, but at least it will run and this did not become a parts bike. LOL!

So yesterday I got home a little bit before my wife and had a little extra time. I got my new petcock in the mail so I installed it and filled the ol' girl with gas and jumped it off the car. It started immediately. Really surprises me how easily it starts.

So I figured I would take it up the drive and road to see how the gears feel.

It ran great. Idled good. It leaked a little gas from the bowl o-ring, but did great I was really surprise it ran so good.

Here's the messy video of the first start and first voyage.... I was holding my phone while I road it up and down the road. You'll notice I forgot it didn't have brakes. I was also riding on two flat rear tires. THey are so old and dry that they leak air straight through the cracks in the treads. LOL

http://youtu.be/DG8mX6it4TA

So after the ride I figured I would see if the compression came up from 90psi... I put the gauge on and tested it with the throttle closed and got 120psi, and with the throttle open I got 150psi.... WOW! I couldn't believe the difference from the original 90psi. I guess the rings were stuck.

It is smoking but I am thinking that it might be due to the oil I put in the cylinder before I started it. I am hoping it will go away but only time will tell.

If you still have compression you got lucky. Nice.
Mine sat for for about 10yrs and after replacing all electrical, carb, plastics, etc. I was able to get it started. It only ran for 10 or 15 minutes then it would crank but not fire. After that compression test was around 30. Spray some oil in the cylinder and it briefly went up to 60-ish so that meant rings. After disassembly the rings were frozen/rusted to the piston. It's running now after a .20 over bore.
It was always covered but was left outside, even squired some light oil in the cylinder and turned it over every once and while but I guess the condensation in the cylinder jacked up the rings.
Glad to see yours is running even after a crank case full of water. Wow....

If you still have compression you got lucky. Nice.
Mine sat for for about 10yrs and after replacing all electrical, carb, plastics, etc. I was able to get it started. It only ran for 10 or 15 minutes then it would crank but not fire. After that compression test was around 30. Spray some oil in the cylinder and it briefly went up to 60-ish so that meant rings. After disassembly the rings were frozen/rusted to the piston. It's running now after a .20 over bore.
It was always covered but was left outside, even squired some light oil in the cylinder and turned it over every once and while but I guess the condensation in the cylinder jacked up the rings.
Glad to see yours is running even after a crank case full of water. Wow....

Yea, I was stunned as well.

another testament for the bulletproof motor in these machines. Wow

another testament for the bulletproof motor in these machines. Wow

Yes, and I am Thankful they are. I didn't want to have to mess with the engine AND restore the rest. THe frame and suspension gonna be enough work for me. LOL

I added some Green Slime into the OLD rear tires and they seem to hold air now, at least for most of the day, but there was slime coming out all over the treads where the air was rushing out. LOL !
It's just temporary until I can get new tires for the 9" aluminum rear wheels I have.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back