I got a new Warrior project for free

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a lot of progress. Got the frame painted Flat Iron Gray is what Rustoleum calls it.
Put the front right suspension on first.

Other Side

I stuck the Honda cross drilled wheels back on the front just to have something on there.
I did get a full set of Gold painted steel wheels that I am painting up and putting tires on the front. I plan to put the aluminum set of rears on that I have when I gets some tires for them

Sliding some plastic on

I found a new light orange color from Rustoleum that I love. It has primer in it as well. Front steel wheels I got

I have the rear axle waiting on me to get knew swing arm bearings, I broke the new ones I have.

The swing arm and rear end does not want to cooperate easily.
The Swing arm bearing on the left side didn't want to go in easily or forcefully but it went in finally. Then I went to push the tube through the center and it some how bend the left side bearings inside it and screwed it all up. I scratched the mess out of the swing arm too.
Then I just ordered new bearings and moved onto the rear carrier assembly. The bearings and seals went in perfectly and super easy but then when I went to put my jam nuts on the axle I realized that my threads were boogered up. I ended up taking the threads to the wire wheel and then to straighten up some bent threads, I used my dremel cutting wheel to cut out the damaged threads. I finally got it all to cooperate and go together properly. It looks like someone used a screw driver and hammer to beat the nuts against each other to jam them instead just tighten them with two separate wrenches.

So I am waiting on the little swing arm bearings to finish it up. It's mostly assembled.

The front wheels are an interesting shade of orange.

Oh and the orange paint on the frame pieces SUCK! It seems that it's so thick that it's VERY easy to chip. I cleaned, primed and painted the best I could and it still doesn't stick very well.
I think it is just too thick finish. THere is a lot of paint that comes out of the nozzle.
I will strip the swing arm and repaint it before installing it AFTER I get the bearings in though.

Oh and while I was working on it, my Supertrapp muffler came in the mail. I got it for $30, can't beat the price, but I am in need of the middle pipe to connect it properly. I cut a piece out of the factory muffler to KINDA put it on but it's not gonna work very well.

Last edited:
Added some stickers.

These are more to cover up the old rough plastic and maybe hold the paint on. LOL!

I love these little Quad Stickers. They turned out perfectly.

In this pic you can see how bad the plastic is under the paint. I will be replacing the plastics as I can find a deal on them. I already bought the Zest Orange Maier front Hood to update the look of the front end, but the old Warrior plastic in ORANGE is rare so I will just keep a look out

After looking at these supersized pics, the plastics looks even worse than I thought in person.

I've got to get some new plastic soon, that old stuff just has so many layers of paint that were never prepped and just sprayed on. Some came off really easy and some stayed. Painting it just masked the ugly beast underneath.

Hey man its not the plastic it's all in the prep work need to rough sand first and work your way to a fine grit takes a lot of time to get it smooth than use a adhesive promoter for base coat and go from there

Hey man its not the plastic it's all in the prep work need to rough sand first and work your way to a fine grit takes a lot of time to get it smooth than use a adhesive promoter for base coat and go from there

Yea, I agree. I didn't take the time to sand it all because of the multiple coats of paint. Maybe later I will go back and sand them back down and do it properly. I didn't really intend to keep this set of plastic due to the multiple layers. I would rather find a clean set of plastics and paint those properly OR if I can find a real Zest Orange set, that would be preferred.

The frame turned out nice, I like the color combo.

Thank you, I took a lot of time and scrapped all the paint off and cleaned and cleaned and wire brushed and wiped with Denatured alcohol and then painted in layers. I am hoping it sticks well. But I knew that I really wanted to focus on the frame because EVERYTHING else can be removed and repainted if need be, whenever.

Was that a mojave I seen tucked back in the one corner... Im thinking about finding another one of them this spring..

It's a Lakota, but the same thing. It's my wife's ride. She likes it cause it doesn't need a clutch. It's really been the best Quad I've owned. Always starts right up

So I got my new swing arm bearings in the mail. I proceeded to take my Dremel and clean out what I thought was just built up rust keeping my bearing from seating properly. After ruining another bearing and trying to grind more material out of the tube I realized that the outer ring of the old bearing was still rusted into the tube and is what is holding my new bearing from seating so I finally was able to cut it out and the new bearing went in easily. Yay!

I'm almost complete. Gotta install the rear end and it will be done.

We'll beside getting new tires

Got it all together yesterday. Boy that rear end took a lot of effort. The Swing Arm DID NOT want to go together very easily (Old Used Parts).

Putting that 400EX rear shock on there was a good bit of aluminum removal which I never have good time doing cause aluminum ruin's blades and grinding wheels. But nevertheless I got it back on four wheels although they are the old wheels and tires. I'm waiting to get some tires on the newer Warrior wheels so I can have the correct wheels and tires on it.

It runs incredible. Really strong. It stopped smoking. I road it for about 30 minutes until the OEM rusty chain broke. It's currently parked in the Barn in my back yard until I get a new chain. I was not gonna push it up the hill. LOL!

I'm over all happy with the way it turned out. I still have to put on the skid plate and a few little things to finish up but it's nice and works like it should.

That 400EX shock extends the swing arm to it's fullest upward position. Gives it a bout a inch lift compared to the Warrior OEM shock.

Here are the pics:

NEW and OLD pics

NOW it's on to cleaning up the other ones to get ready for DurhamTown Plantation
(Edit: I took this pic just before I Race cut my front fenders. So they look like the Orange Warrior now. I cut them in the same pattern)

Last edited:
Got three of the quads out yesterday and was messing with the carbs. The Blue 87 Warrior and the Lakota had been sitting for over 3 years and had NASTY Carburators. They are fighting me trying to get them running smooth again. I think I will have to soak them to get them cleaned out again. I should have never let them sit but there was a lot going on these past few years that they got ignored in the basement of my other house.
I'm getting them back in shape now.

The Orange 96' Carburator Intake boot blew out a couple days ago while I was riding it so I ordered a new one. It should be here in a couple days. I love mail order.

I also have a new gear set and chain coming for the 87' cause current the 13/40 is WAY TO LOW for the 18" tires so I ordered 15/38 to correct it. Hopefully I will be able to use 1st gear again.
Here are a few pics I shot yesterday.

Back