I got a new Warrior project for free

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwrape

Reaction score
My last Warrior project was here:
http://www.bluetraxx.com/forums/club-bt/72539-what-best-aresol-frame-paint.html

This time I had a friend give me this Warrior, I think it's a 2000+ year model but don't know what year or how to tell. It ran last when it was parked many, many years ago. Now not so much, but if it has compression, I'm in business. It's pretty complete and I have all the plastics but they are all different colors, the frame was originally Silver so I assume the plastics were originally Blue.
This one is in much better shape structurally than my other was when I bought it.
I just got it home last night so I was only able to get a few pics in the dark so here you go. I will update as I take it apart and restore it.

The vin# I think is on the left side of the frame at the bottom by the shifter. It should be 11 numbers. Awesome winter project keep us updated.

The vin# I think is on the left side of the frame at the bottom by the shifter. It should be 11 numbers. Awesome winter project keep us updated.

I will look for it when I get home and start cleaning her up. I'll get some more before pics with the plastics set on and then pressure wash everything with Purple magic and then see what it looks like after. From just looking at it, it seems just like it was road hard and then left to sit for years. Doesn't look too bad. It should be a easy fixer. But just depends on what all I have to take apart to get it right.

Sounds good man, From the pics it looks to be in decent shape. Cant beat gettin one for free that's awesome, That's a good friend you got.

It's definitely gonna need a seat. I basically only have a backbone of one with little pieces of foam left.

Ceet sale the foam for the bases, Or you could keep an eye on ebay for a nice used one. I have seen some nice aftermarket covers on ebay for 30 to 40 bucks.

Any suggestions on how to get all the spray paint off. The frame and shocks and a number of other things are covered with all different colors. The plastics look ridiculous with all the paint on them. Any suggestions?
If I can't get it off I will paint over it but I would like to get most of it off and clean it up.

Acetone does wonders for paint removal, I just recently bought another 660 and the previous owner had rattle canned a lot of parts on it. I bought some acetone at lowes and bought a few bottles of fingernail polish remover for a couple bucks at the dollar store, it has acetone in it and is cheaper than paying for the actual acetone. To remove the paint from the plastics I would use some on them as well, it wont eat through it. If you decide to paint them sand them with some high grit sandpaper and wipe them down with alcohol, I have used Krylon fusion and it works good, It has a flex additive in it for plastics.

I have used Krylon fusion and it works good, It has a flex additive in it for plastics.

Yea, I was going to use the Fusion paint as well. WE have some porch chairs that were painted black around 8 years ago and are still looking good so I love that paint.

I'll try the Acetone. If I can get the rattle can paint off then I won't have to paint as much to make it look good.

The vin is under the engine on the left side BUT has 17 characters. The tenth character is the year.

Got some before pics with the plastics sat on it (no mounting bolts anyways) and then I pulled them off and pressure washed the ol' girl with some purple power. Removed a lot of the gunk and mud and grease excess. It really looks like it was just a yard quad and was hardly maintained if at all. Here are the pics I took.

The plastic's original colors are Teal blue and red. I think these are aftermarket. I don't think Yahmaha hard these colors. I never remember seeing this awful color combo before. Fusion paint will be my friend. I think maybe white and black and some new Yahmaha factory stickers
There is spray can Green, Black, white, and Yahmaha blue all over the place. And non of the colors where all over, it was almost like a graffiti paint job on it.

Last edited:
Ok, good to know what year it is. I knew it wasn't in the late 80's cause the ball joints are welded to the A-Arms, my 87' have screw in type.

Oh yea, I plugged up my jump box to the battery terminals, turned on the key and NOTHING. Not a light, not a click, nothing.
The other unpleasant surprise was when I went to do a compression test I realized that the newer ones don't have a pull start on them. Electric only. ...... So,.....so far I can't see what type of mechanical condition it's in until I really dive into it and do some work. No quick check on this one.
BUT the bearings feel pretty good all around except the front wheel bearings on the right wheel.

How yall like that seat, it's beautiful isn't it...

Just hook your jumper box to the frame and touch the positive to the wire going to the starter. This will crank it over so you can get a compression test done.
I've got a spare seat but I bet shipping would be a killer.

Back