Horsepower Rating?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dyno numbers dont lie, but a recent hot rod article opened my eyes to true numbers. depends on correction factor for altitude the operator puts in, weather, humidity, and the physical type of dyno it is>>eddy current,inertia,etc. ever wonder why some dynos are consisitently higher than others? one brand in texas will be different than another in ohio! dynos show the AMOUNT of change from one mod to the next. imo thats what they are for. not numbers. sorry, drag racing showing its expensive head!!! lol! everyone talks hp, but only the same day,same dyno would truly tell! :)

dyno numbers dont lie, but a recent hot rod article opened my eyes to true numbers. depends on correction factor for altitude the operator puts in, weather, humidity, and the physical type of dyno it is>>eddy current,inertia,etc. ever wonder why some dynos are consisitently higher than others? one brand in texas will be different than another in ohio! dynos show the AMOUNT of change from one mod to the next. imo thats what they are for. not numbers. sorry, drag racing showing its expensive head!!! lol! everyone talks hp, but only the same day,same dyno would truly tell! :)

Exactly, a good dyno operator will actually know how to take all the factors into effect and you would have an uncorrected number and a corrected number. Ive seen so many debateds on the powerstroke sites im on that even though I have never been on a dyno myself I actually know alot about them. After all that though drag times threw a calculator (which are actually pretty accurate) that uses things like time, weight and such will in the end be the as long as it was a good run tell the truth.

It also depends on how loose the dyno is. If the dyno has resistance... the number's are going to be lower.

huh? Not trying anything. My quad had slicks on it durring the dyno, chain to proper tension and its a well lubbed 0-ring chain.

Just wondering if you guys know the mark up from RWHP to FWHP. I know what my dyno sheet says and what my mechanic told me. Just wondering if you all guys agree and/or know the same. A Dyno will only give your RWHP, so goin from what my shop buddy told me, its about a 10hp difference to get your tur crank HP. My RW dyno came in at 22 so my FWHP should be 33. Right?

I know I have the pic of it somewhere. I think it might be on my machine at work, I'll post it up tomorrow.
that sounds right and i bet your quad is fast and look at what all you did to it to get that hp and it is not that much more then stock bc i think they are like 16 hp stock that is a 6hp gain and that is good for a old motor like a warrior ... my quad is 53.6 to the ground and it is just under 300lbs that makes for one fast quad bc a yfz is like 400lbs

Darn dead id thought yours would deffinently be out running mine!!!

Why u say that. I truely don't have that much in engine work. Just a Cam (which is to big) a bore and high comp piston, open intake and aftermarket exhaust. Not to wild. the cooling and carb do help some but for true HP gain, the in and out of air and how much compression you pushing should be where your getting your HP gains. In the history of warriors, very few have been put on a dyno so its tough to compare or even comprehend the numbers. Feel free to have your machines measured guys, I'd be interested to see the results!

Anyone know if the stock 16/20 we read about is RW or FWHP? I think that the FW rating. Going from that to 33 is nothing to snare about I'd say, if indeed that stack numb is RW or FW.

This all being said, I'm gunna have it ran at a proper dyno once I get a better cam in it. the guy I wnet to is backasswards and really old school. Old program on an old ass machine and the dyno was setup for motorcycles only. He rigged up a contraption that you rest the axle on for the one side and old run the other tire on the drum. Wish I would seen his setup before I paid for it. He had a stock warrior come in at 14, so that should give you some comparison as to how his particular setup works. Still, so his stock 14 to my 22 is still an 8hp gain, Also, my big ass cam is altering as to when and where that power is being distributed.

Also, Bryanquad, if you got pic of your mounts and better pics of how you engine is stitting in there, feel free to send them my way. We'll find a why to get them on the site. I still wanna do a 426 swap someday. I should a did it when I had the chance.

This is old but I found it on another site. Dave76 posted it a while back.

Posted by: dave76

The biggest difference is the cam from rappy 350 to warrior, it's a different profile and the carb is a BSR instead of a BTM, the difference is in the throttle response. No Raptor or Warrior feels good when stock, there choked up badly and need rejeting out of the factory. Put a good pipe and filter and jet it and it becomes a much better quad. Also if anyone noticed the yfm 350 motor has a short stroke crank 64.5mm and low compression 9.2:1 which is pretty bad for low end torque. A good raise in compression to 10.25 or 10.5 and a .430 web midrange cam, now your looking at close to 30HP.

Based on all that, I deff need to fix my cam situation and get it ran on a proper dyno this summer!

This is a very interesting thread. I wish I had the extra coin and time to take a stock motor, build it up and after each change (pipe, filter, jets, cam, crank, port and pollish, etc) take it and throw it on a dyno. I think it would be interesting to see the facts on what each mod will do. Unfortunatly not only could each mod help one motor and but could also hurt another depending on what combination is done......

Also, Bryanquad, if you got pic of your mounts and better pics of how you engine is stitting in there, feel free to send them my way. We'll find a why to get them on the site. I still wanna do a 426 swap someday. I should a did it when I had the chance.
i can take all the pics you need and text them to you it was not hard my buddy did it all in 3 days

Stock is about 17.5 RWHP not flywheel so the dyno ur was run on is all efed up just saying mine was dinod on a dyno jet dyno at little sahara oklahoma and it was legit and registered at 23.34 befor I even touched the motor that's why I thought deads would deffinently out run mine

Stock is about 17.5 RWHP not flywheel so the dyno ur was run on is all efed up just saying mine was dinod on a dyno jet dyno at little sahara oklahoma and it was legit and registered at 23.34 befor I even touched the motor that's why I thought deads would deffinently out run mine

I actually have the stock dyno sheet from White Bro. + there flat slide carb kit. They dyno'ed like 19.6 whp or something. I'd have to look at it again. Also if you look at the title it will tell you how much HP it has. I believe mine says 19.8 or something.

I thought you said you had a little work done with the hotcam stage 1 and higher compression piston with the 38mm carb kit?

You guy's should also go to a shop that has a air/fuel sniffer that they stick into the pipe so you can tune your carb's main jet when you are there. That also makes a big difference in power.

Like bryan said, every dyno is different....

My warrior's had a tom of motor work done but I had it dynoedbefore I touched the motor it dynoed at 22.32 the fisrt time then the teck tuned it and it jumped to 23.34 and I re tuned it after the motor waork I am 99% sure its over 30 now

I actually have the stock dyno sheet from White Bro. + there flat slide carb kit. They dyno'ed like 19.6 whp or something. I'd have to look at it again. Also if you look at the title it will tell you how much HP it has. I believe mine says 19.8 or something.

I thought you said you had a little work done with the hotcam stage 1 and higher compression piston with the 38mm carb kit?

You guy's should also go to a shop that has a air/fuel sniffer that they stick into the pipe so you can tune your carb's main jet when you are there. That also makes a big difference in power.

Like bryan said, every dyno is different....
jason you are right about if your carb is off just a lil bit that could b 5hp and if you have it tuned good it should run out at like 12.9 air to fuel on top end that is what i have had the best luck with and i have alot of hours on the dyno .... the best dyno is a dyno jet but it has to b approved by them every year and it should have a power commander tuning center built in it so it can tell you all the info you need to know to tune your quad

My warrior's had a tom of motor work done but I had it dynoedbefore I touched the motor it dynoed at 22.32 the fisrt time then the teck tuned it and it jumped to 23.34 and I re tuned it after the motor waork I am 99% sure its over 30 now
will you post a pic of the read out on it

Oh ya srry I had to go into the motor 2 times that month so. I forget I ran the motor with just the piston in it and the piston dosent help as much as having it tuned perfect just saying

Latest posts

Back