Best Trail Mods?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
k what would you take in the trails your yfm350 or a z400 and what do you think would last longer. Also same question out of the 3 400 atvs that im talking about.

Am I choosing between MY warrior with about $4000 in aftermarket, or a STOCK warrior to go up against a z400? I'd take mine over a stock z400 for sure, my warrior will walk all over one. But stock for stock, i'd take the z400 over a 350. Everything is better. You can argue about reliability all you want, but I bought my warrior used, and when it was stock was a long way from what I would call reliable. It's all about maintainance. A z400 that's cared for can be just as reliable as anything else (assuming the known factory flaws are taken care of first).

The kfx400, z400, and AC dvx400 are all the same machine, with the exception of cosmetic stuff, and shocks on the dvx. Between the kawisukicat trio, and the honda 400ex, I think I would pick the kfx just because I love that mean green color. There's nothing wrong with the honda, but it's just a little bit behind the kawisukicats in performance.

I have not ridden a YFZ, but I have sat on them and yes they are small, but I think it is mostly because the rider position is lower. Now I haven't ridden one, but thats just my impression. A guy came out with one once, he got hung up on everything and we got complaints because it was loud as hell, he had a Ti4 pipe on it.

Another question for yamarider. If you had 4000 to spend what would you get. yfm350, z400, kfx400, dvx400, or 400ex. I would deff go with the warrior. You can get the most ups for the money and it feals so much better in the woods when you get like barily anything done to them (tiers). And even though the engines are not up to par with technology they still sound way better when riding them. and you can esaly make them beat any of those out anyday. with a bore and some engine work. My second choice would be 400ex, its honda and theres so many ups, and there cheaper too.
I agree on the kfx they do look nice in that green.

Also the person above this the yfz does feal way lower beacuse of where they positiond the whole bike. if someone could come out with a good 400, good layout of bike(lower height of bike) and doesnt sound like ****, and had reverse it would deff be the best out stock 400. but all stock sport bikes or bikes with small tiers which taht prob had its all about the tiers on getting suck most of the time but in the case of my friends z its that carrier is just way to big and it makes the skid sit much lower making it get caught on evertyng.

holy **** i forgot that we were on someones thread that has nothing to do with this 400 conversation lets stop it on here and make a new thread about this or finish up. Im done if everone else is after yamarider responds.

Sorry 99warriorrider

Meh, what can you do. I am actually looking into a new trail quad so it's all good :p

For 4,000, i'd still go for a z400. Even if you get a stock used warrior for $2,000, that additional $2,000 isn't enough to get me all the parts I would have to have to equal up to even a stock z400. I've seen z400's and 400ex's with aftermarket suspension and motor work go for right around $4,000. I don't want to make it out like i'm badmouthing the 350, but I am kinda pissed that I spent so much money on the thing. Between the initial cost of my warrior used, plus the aftermarket stuff, I could have walked right into a dealer and got the sport quad of my choice, either an outlaw or rap 700 brand new, paid in cash. And that doesn't even take into consideration the $1,500 I spent on repairs over the past 2 years.

Thats a pretty big chunk of change for a Warrior. It's a badass Warrior though :tup: What do you think gave you the most bang for your buck power wise? And I am not going to take the airbox lid off, do I need a Pro Design kit, or can I get a stock style K&N?

Thats a pretty big chunk of change for a Warrior. It's a badass Warrior though :tup: What do you think gave you the most bang for your buck power wise? And I am not going to take the airbox lid off, do I need a Pro Design kit, or can I get a stock style K&N?

For me, the best bang for the buck was the port job, which cost me $60 at the local shop (and the shop owner did it himself, got carried away with it, and spend about 4 hours on it, but only charged me what I was originally quoted). That wouldn't necessarily be the best thing for you though. You need to get some other stuff opened up before porting does much. For you, I think the best bang for the buck, only speaking power-wise, will either be a decent slip-on exhaust, or a high compression piston.

But for all-around bang for the buck, i'd say the Edelbrock was defintiely the best. It did so much more than add power, it also made it much nicer to ride with the quick throttle response, and it's so easy to tune, that i'm always jetted perfectly. Personally, I wish I would have bought the edelbrock before anything else, it would have saved me a bunch of time and frustration trying to rejet the stock carb.

Even if you plan on keeping the airbox lid on, you'd still be better off with the pro-design or noss machine clamp-on kit. The drop-in k&n's usually only last about 5 cleaning cycles before they fall apart, and they never seem to fit or seal right. With the clamp on kit, you just might need to do some very slight trimming on the lid to make it fit. If anything, you'd just have to file down some of the little eggcrate fins on the underside of the lid to make way for the part of the adapter that sticks up.

You MIGHT be able to depending on how high the compression is, but i wouldnt recomend it. Even when my warrior was bone stock i ran premium in it.

Thats out for me cause I can't get Premium around here for a decent price, would regular with octane booster work?

Hey YamaRider I just want to add this for my money when im done i should and will be able to beat any of my friends in the woods. Becuase i could almost keep up with my mojave 250, they all have 400exs and a z400 and i can tell you they payed way more then me and got jack done to theres but i also built mine from scratch and save a bunch of money so i just might have way more ups then them but i just love the feal of warriors in the woods and basicly hate everything else.

Were are you findin these deals for z's for 4000 with good work done to them.

Well I got some new bars, a new clutch lever and a Pbrake block off plate. Cleans it up much better, and the bars are about an inch taller and an inch wider. Much more comfy.

Hey YamaRider I just want to add this for my money when im done i should and will be able to beat any of my friends in the woods. Becuase i could almost keep up with my mojave 250, they all have 400exs and a z400 and i can tell you they payed way more then me and got jack done to theres but i also built mine from scratch and save a bunch of money so i just might have way more ups then them but i just love the feal of warriors in the woods and basicly hate everything else.

Were are you findin these deals for z's for 4000 with good work done to them.

I don't know what he paid for his exactly, but klutchbuster picked up a z400 with long travel elka suspension and all the other goodies for damn cheap, around $4,000 I think. There are a lot of built up z400's on the market since the r450 came out.

I also see 440ex's with all the basic bolt-ons at the local shop, selling for $2,200-$3,000 depending on how nice they were. Right now there's a 440 with burgard a-arms, rpm axle, shocks revalved by works, race plastics, nerfs, etc, for $2,300.

Thats out for me cause I can't get Premium around here for a decent price, would regular with octane booster work?

Where are you located that you can't get premium? I can't remember a place i've ever been, including out in the Caribbean Islands, that you couldn't just pull up to the pump and get premium for 30 or 40 cents more than regular.

I don't think octane bootster would do much. A bottle of that stuff only boots the octane by a couple points when mixed into 5 gallons. Octane booster always made my **** run worse too, not better.

One place doesn't carry it chain wide and the other didn't sell enough of it to make it worthwhile for them. I live outside a small farming town in Canada so premium isn't that good of a seller.

Thanks, but I'm flat broke right now :( Maybe I can get paid early but I don't know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back