Best Trail Mods?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

99warriorrider

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new here, but I was wondering what the best mods for a 99 Warrior that gets ridden around and jumped, but it's main purpose is a trail quad. I need some better tires for sure, Holeshots/Razr's/MX tires don't work where I ride (fast, muskeg woods) . I was looking into 22/11/9 Mudlites and 22/12/9 Bear Claws. I was also wondering if you could adapt a rear disc off of an early warrior to gain ground clearance. I know they stop well enough, my riding buddy has a 88 I think (second year of production anyway) Warrior with 25 inch Bearclaws and it can lock them up fine. Is it possible? I travel with 500+ cc 4x4's all the time, so they ruts get deep and unavoidable in places. What are some other general mods for fast muddy woods riding? Thanks guys. ;)

umm i have no idea man..... exhaust, hi flow filter and rejet..... give you way more power....

Skids EVERYWHERE. Check out the Electrical harness, looking for Chafe spots. Where there is the ability for wires to chafe, wrap with rubber electrical tape.

Best advice is make sure it's in top working condition EVERY ride. Sucks walking home 5 miles because you forgot to check the fuel/oil/airpressure/chain/cables.

For REALLY nasty trail riding, the best thing is a Winch. EVERY mod we put on a quad will just get you stuck harder. Only one will get you UNStuck.

I have at least 5 quads with me on heavy trail rides, all have good winches. I totaled my stock rear skid,getting a new aluminum one thats abut 1/8th thick second hand off my neighbor. I made an engine skid that allows the frame rails to act as the sliders. Less surface area to hang up, with good engine protection. Plus less area for mud to collect. Works like a charm, theres one like it on all the 4 Warriors around here and no one has problems.

for mud the best tires are Maxxis All-Track or Similars (Razr2 or MX aren't designed for mud).

Full skids, six ply tires, a good (large) front bumpers for when those trees jump out in front of you, and a nice grab bar so you can lift when/if you need to.

If you want a tire you'll never get stuck with, get interco swamplites. The only way I could imagine ever getting stuck with them is if they weren't even making contact with the ground. They hook up everywhere.

To make the rear brake rotor from the 87-88 work, you would need to replace the carrier, rotor, and rotor hub with one from the same year (possibly the caliper too, if they're not the same). You wouldn't gain much from that though, because the sprocket is still going to be just as big.

If the swingarm skid you're getting is really only 1/8", reinforce it good before you use it much. Mine was 3/16" and it didn't last worth a **** on our rocky trails. It got all bent up so it was rubbing the sprocket and rotor, and the welds cracked and was about ready to fall off. Once they get messed up like that they're a pain to repair.

One more thing that might help is a good clutch perch, lever, and cable to make the pull easier. Stock, the warrior's clutch pull is a little too stiff, and can get tiring if you have to use it a lot.

One of the best tires for mud would be super swampers, i cant recall too many times i've got stuck.

Well im big into trail riding i ever do hairscrambels and some other woods races in Ohio and PA. Which is basicly all mud and rock and hills.

The fisrth thing i would say is protrection. Get full Skids that was my first up. Also get some type of nerf bars because if your riding in ruts you get smacked around a lot and done want to run your foot over, i recomend the prm sidebars but if you dont like those they have the same thing but in nerfs just not on there website yet. http://prm-atv.com/

Second i would say is bottom end all you want is tork. If you plan on not doing any engine work get a pipe, jet it, and air filter that will give you a good boost. I recomend the hmf sport series there all for bottom end and are loud as ****. Also do sone gear raciosr on your spocits. Look at the gearing chart on this website for what to do.

For the tiers ide say go with these
realtortier1.jpg
realtortier2.jpg
realtortier3.jpg
they are called pure sport realtors i think they are the best tier for a sport bike for mud. They have about and inch of tred when new and you can flip them for mud or sand. There 6 ply so there hard to pop and they are not that expensive. They are hard to find and come in 22/12/? if forget wat size i have but they are so wide that you barily ever get caught in regular ruts from other wheelers just way to wide to fit in and they look bad ass.

O if you can try to get some cind of shocks they will give you better conering if you get the right cind and they just make it such a smoother ride. I have works AT Steelers set up for woods for a 180 pound rider and i can barily notice im riding a warrior it feals like a polaris in the woods.

If you have any more questions just ask.

Also im selling a-arm skids becuase i just bought extended a-arms and never got to install the guards i got but they are made by armodillo off road and are still in the bag not opend yet. They are $65 on there webcite but i want to sell them for $50. If your interested just ask and ill get you pics.

A good strong set of tie rods and ends would be a good idea too. I've had to end the day short because of f'd up tie rods and ends more than everything else combined. I'd recommend one of the ASR kits with heim joints on ebay for around $120-145. There is a cheaper set out there, but they're tusk ****. I bought one of those kits from trailtracksand.com, without knowing that they were tusk kits. 3 of the 4 ends are already getting loose, and there's only a couple rides on them. That pisses me off like you wouldn't believe.

Trust me, with the riding conditions you listed, it's only a matter of time before you break a tie rod end or bend a rod. I would have saved a bunch of money in the long run if I would have just got one of the ASR kits to begin with instead of trying to save money.

And hand guards. Hand guards are awesome. Ever since I got the powermadds on my warrior, I can't stand riding a bike that doesn't have them.

Well im big into trail riding i ever do hairscrambels and some other woods races in Ohio and PA. Which is basicly all mud and rock and hills.

The fisrth thing i would say is protrection. Get full Skids that was my first up. Also get some type of nerf bars because if your riding in ruts you get smacked around a lot and done want to run your foot over, i recomend the prm sidebars but if you dont like those they have the same thing but in nerfs just not on there website yet. http://prm-atv.com/

Second i would say is bottom end all you want is tork. If you plan on not doing any engine work get a pipe, jet it, and air filter that will give you a good boost. I recomend the hmf sport series there all for bottom end and are loud as ****. Also do sone gear raciosr on your spocits. Look at the gearing chart on this website for what to do.

For the tiers ide say go with these
realtortier1.jpg
realtortier2.jpg
realtortier3.jpg
they are called pure sport realtors i think they are the best tier for a sport bike for mud. They have about and inch of tred when new and you can flip them for mud or sand. There 6 ply so there hard to pop and they are not that expensive. They are hard to find and come in 22/12/? if forget wat size i have but they are so wide that you barily ever get caught in regular ruts from other wheelers just way to wide to fit in and they look bad ass.

O if you can try to get some cind of shocks they will give you better conering if you get the right cind and they just make it such a smoother ride. I have works AT Steelers set up for woods for a 180 pound rider and i can barily notice im riding a warrior it feals like a polaris in the woods.

If you have any more questions just ask.

Also im selling a-arm skids becuase i just bought extended a-arms and never got to install the guards i got but they are made by armodillo off road and are still in the bag not opend yet. They are $65 on there webcite but i want to sell them for $50. If your interested just ask and ill get you pics.

Pure Sports Realtors are impossible to find for a good price anymore. I was considering them, but the best price I found on them was like 90 bucks apiece plus shipping. I got my swamplites for $115 and free shipping, and there's no doubt in my mind that they're a better mud, and all-around tire than realtors.

Dude i got my pure spots for 52 each and that was with ship. I forget where i got them from but it was when they first came out. I never get stuck with these suckers and ive been over the handle bars in mud(custom snorkels a bitch to make and look gay). The only way i ever got stuck was if i hit my swing arm skid but ill just rock it side to side and just get right out. But i dont no what happend to them becuase you use to be able to fine them everwhere and now you cant find them worth ****, your right about that.

I bought my raptor for trails and right away i had a set of maxxis all-tracs put on and they worked really well in most conditions except wet surfaces and hard pan. Now i got bored of them and went and bought a set of Kenda claw xcr's and i would never go back to the all-tracs ever again, they are superior in everyway and i found in goopy gumbo **** mud they work just as good as long as you pick your line and throttle. Im not saying i wouldn't look into the all-tracs but from my personal experience the claw xcr's were much better.

I also have a full belly skid plate and its saved the underside quite a few times and it wasn't really expensive either i think its a DG, i would look into a-arm guards as well because there will be times where you will rub them and or whack them. As far as the rear skid goes i kept the stock piece and found it works way better just because it doesn't hang so low and act like a ski.

Friend of mine has an aftermarket rear skid and he always gets hung up where i dont.

O i forgot to add this but like the guy said you get hung up and you do hit your a-arms a lot this is what happend to mine when i didnt have a-arm guards.
a-arms.jpg
you cant really see it beucase this is a bad pic but if you look at the one on the right you can see a huge dent on the inside of it and the totaly fucked my riding up for a while. I just got extended ones and im going to make sure not to bend those one. But i do recomend buying them.

Also im not to fond of the stock swing skid. I had it for like a week till i hit a rock and it totaly dominated those tiny bars but he is right you do get though more with out aftermarket ones but its bettter to get stuck then have to replace the sproket, disk, and skid every weekend after riding.

I have the stock heel guards, all I can see nerfs doing over these is getting caught more. I haven't ran a quad with them on in these conditions though. I looked into the Realtors, a friend of mine actually had some on his 250 two stroke Suzuki.

I am planning on getting a steering stabilizer for the rutty conditions, I have sprained my thumb from the bars jerking at least 3 times and broke it once. I am not super heavy (140 max with gear) so I am not that hard on stuff like tierods and suspension.

I have some fab skills, I made a skid for my old bike and I am planing on making some bark busters and a rear grab bar simpler to a PRM Desert bar. Is there any front bumpers out there with a skid, like the stock one? My buddy with the 88 Warrior just welded bigger, wider pipe to his for a grab bar. I am not going for looks at all on this, but if it looks good why not, right?

Heres whats left of my stock skid after a run with some dry creek beds thrown in:
P1010235.jpg

P1010237.jpg

P1010239-1.jpg

Here are super swamper vampires and for your riding condition i say they would fit in well. They come in 22-12.50-9 and are relatively inexpensive compared to others. http://www.intercotire.com/site27.php

Vampires are good for mud, but only mud. Anything else, and you'll probably be going back on your decision to purchase them. They're heavy as hell, they ride rougher than any other tire on the market, they tear the hell out of the trails, and they don't do very well unless there's mud on the ground. They're pretty rough on the machine too.

All i can say for the tiers are the realtors becuase ther good in basicly everything but thats up to you about it but you say your friend has them dont they rip ass? About the look at the prm bumpers. The summit, baja, and there is one other good one. Im getting the baja it looks sweet and it has the skid built in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back