1999 Warrior Rebuild "Jar-Jar"

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh wait... I know why it broke... You drive it like a ford! XD Jk I haven't heard of a warrior Melting a hole in the piston in a long time..

Well its home now, have to wait probably til this weekend to actually get time to tear the top end off and see the full damage. I did grab my dads pen light instead of my flash on the phone and it looks as though theres cracks on the left side of the hole. So this could be interesting.

Hmm... This is interesting. Doesn't look like it was burning badly. Maybe a cunt hair lean, but, I see no reason why that piston should have failed. Could just be a lemon.

The top of that piston looks paper thin from what I can see in the picture. Deff looks like detonation to me, hopefully your cdi isn't jumping timing around or the pickup isn't getting a false signal.

Just a question how many degrees of total advance is a warrior stock and how much was that cdi running total advance

On the aftermarket side Im not sure, Ive never seen it published what dynatek's timing curves are. Id have to do a little looking to find the stock stuff

Well, there are a few people here running the Dynatech and have not had this issue. Not to say that it can't happen, but, no one else has had a problem. Hell, lots of guys are running the Vito's key and that has a constant 4* advance, and they have not had issues. How does the plug looks? Any melting going on there? I'd think there would be some evidence of the spark jumping from the plug to the piston, if it were. Right now I'm sticking with lemon part. Wish I could see it in person though...

Well, there are a few people here running the Dynatech and have not had this issue. Not to say that it can't happen, but, no one else has had a problem. Hell, lots of guys are running the Vito's key and that has a constant 4* advance, and they have not had issues. How does the plug looks? Any melting going on there? I'd think there would be some evidence of the spark jumping from the plug to the piston, if it were. Right now I'm sticking with lemon part. Wish I could see it in person though...

I second that I'd say a bad piston. I've ran my dynatech for quite sometime with no issues.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9310 using Tapatalk

It may be worth getting the piston out and measure the thickness of the face of the piston where in broke. and getting up with the piston manufacturer and seeing what the min thickness/speck should be. May get a replacement

It may be worth getting the piston out and measure the thickness of the face of the piston where in broke. and getting up with the piston manufacturer and seeing what the min thickness/speck should be. May get a replacement

Good idea:tup:

Well finally got the JE site to load tonight, got the email address and sent them an email with a quick explanation of why I was emailing and the pic of the piston. We'll see what they say! Got my fingers crossed that they agree, Im finding it quite hard at the moment to get the $$ together for a new piston!

Well JE got back to me. They say classic case of detonation. So I'm on the hook like I thought for a piston and to keep where I was at race fuel.

Who was correct this guy lol. Na just messing it sucks that happened. Hopefully you can get away with just a piston. Well now you know your gonna need better fuel of less timing. Hard way to find out though

Ya now the fun decisions. It will end up being how I come up with the money for the new piston. Though who knows I may still need slightly higher octane to avoid it happening again. Especially considering I dont know if the heads been surfaced before me. My machinist had to take .015 off to clean up some deep scratches, which Weston calculated to roughly a little over 11:1 with the 10.5:1 piston. Im actually gonna start looking for the stock head measurements and see if its had more taken off at some point. Then maybe I can have a closer idea, I cant afford to do this repeatedly!! LOL

Back