warrior starter help!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just called the yamaha shop and a aftermarket starter for the 01 warrior is $288.00 and the oem is $188.00. That is crazy! I just seen one on ebay for $42.00 with free shipping!

I just remebered, there should be a sticky in this section of the forum that is the complete download of the Clymer repair manual. And its Gen1Pat. LOL.

I will try to. All I have is my beat up, broke down, old as dirt camera phone. Mine did turn in reverse but VERY slowly. It isn't designed to "run backwards" . That being the case, we already know something is a miss in your starter. It may have turned the opposite direction, but since the crankshaft, connecting rod, and piston have so much mass (wieght) that it simply didn't spin with enought speed or torque to turn the crank. Try taking the starter out and cross the cables and see what happens.

As to wiring it up with the cable crossed. In theory it would work. But, these bikes(as all atv's are) have a negative ground system, not a positive (like say, an old 6volt system on a Farmall tractor). It MAY work to start it but it wouldn't be safe to run it, because the igition, charging and lighting systems are all negatively grounded.

Also, if you get a starter off ebay, buy it from a seller called DB ELECTRICAL. I've used their products on several customer atvs and have never had an issue. And best part, they come with a 1 year hassle free warrenty. I actually have em on 2 on my honda's. Just couldn't see spending around $250 to have my old starters rebuilt (and having to wait for my friend to get the parts) when I got the pair new for around $100-120 and they got to my door in 3-5 days. I'll probably have my friend built my old starters, and keep them for spares now that I'm not in a rush for them.

I just looked in the manual, and the only thing I can come up with as to why it is turning the wrong way, would be if you installed the brushes and or brush plate incorrectly. Because the armature can only go in the one way. And the brushes are what becomes energized by the battery and they create the magnetic field around the armature and that's what makes it turn. If I'd have to point fault at something I would look there first. I just did a google search on the subject of warrior 350 starter turning the wrong way, and came across an old thread on bluetraxx and a guy had the same prob as you. His dad had taken apart and cleaned the starter (for whatever reason) while the engine was apart. And when they put it back together the starter was turning the wrong way (to the right). The fella went on to say that he took the starter back apart, inspected everything, reassymbled it and all as well (turned the correct way). So something had to have been turned around in there, and the only thing that makes sense, to me, is the brushes or brush plate. I did try to take a vid of my starter but my phone is too crappy to see anything. Best thing to do is pull up the downloadable manual in this section and read over the starte rebuild procedure.

Well you was right all along, genpat 1. Thanks alot for everyones help in this forum I will take another video when I get it put all back together but i first have to buy a stator cover gasket and of course a starter or take the old one apart and try to see what is wrong in there. I was gonna go to autozone today and get some of that gasket maker not the stuff out of the tube but the sheet of gasket maker and just trace it and cut it out. Do you think that would be ok to do?

Got 2 in the truck i would run out and grab One to make a vid but 2 year old son is sick today and just snuggeling his daddy

got 2 what bones? starters? and what are you gonna make a video of? and im sorry to hear about your son. i have a little one myself just turned 1 a couple days ago. I hope your little one gets to feeling better

yeah starters i was on a cell phone and didnt notice that there another page or that you had already made a vid... my bad

Also, if you get a starter off ebay, buy it from a seller called DB ELECTRICAL. I've used their products on several customer atvs and have never had an issue. And best part, they come with a 1 year hassle free warrenty. I actually have em on 2 on my honda's. Just couldn't see spending around $250 to have my old starters rebuilt (and having to wait for my friend to get the parts) when I got the pair new for around $100-120 and they got to my door in 3-5 days. I'll probably have my friend built my old starters, and keep them for spares now that I'm not in a rush for them.

I just seen that DB ELECTRICAL have a starter for $42 and the shippings free.

No problem, just glad you can get it together now. But I will say this; for those of you familar with the tv show Bones, you will remember Hodgins and Zach would declare themselves KING OF THE LAB, when they'd one-up eachother. Well, since I one up'd everyone on this thread I declare KING OF THE SITE! :slayer: LOL!

And as for the gasket paper. I think most of us here have made tons of gaskets out of the stuff. I've never had an issue with it. I'm partial to the light blue paper with the dark blue strips in it. For the life of me I can't remember the brand name. Putting black rtv on both sides of the gasket will help to seal it better, if you're nervous about using it.

well i do have to admit i owe you one.lol and i got some gasket paper i just picked for $6 at autozone and its enough to make 2 of the same gaskets. They were $18 a piece on ebay. But after I get this going good. i will post some more forums up of my clutch being extremely hard to pull. But i will put everything together first if I can get the starter fixed or get a new one.

Back