warrior starter help!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so how positive are you that it is spinning the wrong way? because i have never did this before and i dont mind to hook up the negative to the positive side of the starter and the positive to the ground, so it will turn the other way. i just want to make sure it wont hurt anything if i do. i appreciate all the feedback gen1pat

alot of good info in this thread,im learning myself. good luck to ya cody im sure with the help of these guys your problem will be solved soon.

alot of good info in this thread,im learning myself. good luck to ya cody im sure with the help of these guys your problem will be solved soon.

thanks alot! and I sure hope so, they know more about this stuff than me thats for sure.lol

lol yes sir im in the same boat as you and it goes for my truck and 4wheeler....i learn prob 80 percent of my knowledge from forums..

I'm a mechanic by trade. My warrior also has a pull starter and when you pull it it turns the crankshaft to the left. I'm betting there is something wrong with your starter and because of this it is turning the wrong way. You did say that you moved a brush. That could have done it, or you could have found it in the position it was in because of an issue it was having. Do you have access to another starter? If so, hook a battery to it you will see that the starter gear turns to the left, or just put it in your bike and see what happens. You can always pull the idler gears out and turn the flywheel gear to the left by hand (with spark plug out to make it easier ofcourse). It will turn the crank, trust me. If you turn the flywheel gear to the right it will just spin freely and the flywheel will just sit there. If I'm wrong you can throw roost on me if we ever cross paths on a trail.

lol yes sir im in the same boat as you and it goes for my truck and 4wheeler....i learn prob 80 percent of my knowledge from forums..

haha you must be my long lost brother then. if it wasnt for these forums i would be up a creek without a paddle! lol

I'm a mechanic by trade. My warrior also has a pull starter and when you pull it it turns the crankshaft to the left. I'm betting there is something wrong with your starter and because of this it is turning the wrong way. You did say that you moved a brush. That could have done it, or you could have found it in the position it was in because of an issue it was having. Do you have access to another starter? If so, hook a battery to it you will see that the starter gear turns to the left, or just put it in your bike and see what happens. You can always pull the idler gears out and turn the flywheel gear to the left by hand (with spark plug out to make it easier ofcourse). It will turn the crank, trust me. If you turn the flywheel gear to the right it will just spin freely and the flywheel will just sit there. If I'm wrong you can throw roost on me if we ever cross paths on a trail.

well the brush wasnt really moved it just wasnt setting in the little cradle it went in just right. and no, i wish had another starter. I have looked all over online to see which is the correct way fot the starter to turn and havent found anything. I just dont understand how it could be turning backwards? it just doesnt make no sense to me?

why dont you take your starter out genpat1 and check it out.lol
its only 2 8mm bolts

I have an extra starter here in my shop. I will pull it out and check. May even make a vid on my phone and post it here for you to see. But, I'll tell ya right now, it's gunna turn to the left. Have you have the chance to try turning the flywheel gear by hand?

Well just pulled and tested my extra starter for shits and giggles. It deffinetly turns to the left. Unless I cross the terminals and go positive to negative, negative to postitive then it reverses and goes right. Your starter is deffinetly going the wrong way. Why, I don't know but it is. Reverse the polls and see what happens.

it a starter off of a warrior? and that would be great if you could post a video. and i will later on today genpat1

Reach down in there with your hand and turn the flywheel gear to the right, it should spin freely. Then turn it to the left, it should lockup and turn the crank. More accurate than grabbing the crank and rocking it. Some starters' polarities can be reversed, some can't. My extra starter is off a warrior, and I was able to cross the terminals, but since it is not "ment" to run that was (pos-neg, neg-pos) it turned very slowly. Your starter is turning the wrong way for sure. My father just watched your lastes vid with me and he sees the same thing as I. The starter HAS to turn left, yours is turning right. So with it turning right it makes the idler gear turn left. With the idler gear turning left it makes the flywheel gear turn right. With the flywheel gear turning right it just "freewheels" or "spins" like it is doing now. Just do what I said in the first few sentences and you'll see that the flywheel gear will lock if turned to the left, and will freewheel turned to the right. Just have to get a new starter and you should be good to go. Gotta run out to dinner, will check your progress when I get home.

ok can you take a video of the starter turning right, its not that i dont beleive you i do. I just dont want to go get a starter and not need it.lol i would greatly appreciate genpat1 and thanks so much for all the feedback!

I will see what I can do about getting that vid tomorrow. But I'm certain you need a starter. Someone on here probably has an extra one they will sell. I'm keeping mine for my spare engine. I take it you were able to feel the flywheel gear lockup when turned to the left.

Could you have that maget cylinder on the starter on backwards ? Would that even make it spin the wrong way ?

I was thinking the same thing. But, I've never rebuilt 1 of these starters. I usually buy new or have our friend (automotive electrical guru) rebuild em. He does it and I never have to worrry about it again. I will pull out my manual and review the starter rebuild procedure, when I get the chance. That's deffinetly the prob. The real question is does he want to try to repair it, or cut his losses (and aggrivation) and just get a new one off ebay for 50-60 bucks.

well i did take the starter apart and put it back together and it was my first time doing anything like that so i could have done something when it putting it back together. and yes the flywheel does turn the otherway when you give it some muscle. im thinking about calling a yamaha shop about 20 miles away and seeing if they got a starter and i will take my battery and jumper cables down there and hooking it up in the parking lot to see which way it turns. Or asking them if they know from experience. But yes i would appreciate it if you could look in the book genpat 1

Back