warrior starter help!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codysisk13

Reaction score
I have a 2001 warrior and the guy i got it off of said the starter was bad. so i charged the battery and pressed start and the relay back by the battery would "click once" everytime I pushed start. Then I took the starter off to check it and i hooked it up to the battery and nothing. so i took it apart and one of the brushes wasnt in the right spot so i put in the right place , put it all back together and checked with the battery again and it worked! So i put it back in the quad, pushed start, the relay clicked and the starter started to turn freely??? it wasnt engaging the motor? I took it off again and i could move the first gear behind the starter "clockwise" but i thought the 2nd smaller gear behind the first one was supposed to move, but i dont know for sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

That is what i was thinking, but i want to make sure that is what it is before i go and get one. Is there any way i could check it if i took the side of the motor off and got to it?

just pull the stator cover and have a look could just be the idler gear, also see if the flywheel gaer will spin by hand if just spins one way your good there if not time for a new one

ok i know how to check the flyheel gear, but where would i find the idler gear?

If it is missing teath. Thats the only way for it not to contact the starting gear.

i checked the starter gear, idler gear, and flywheel gear. all seem to be turning one way but not the other which is a good thing. and all seem to be in good shape (teeth wise). but the flywheel didnt turn when i spun the gears by hand. is it supposed to?

Your starter gear is good. When you are turning the ider gears counter clockwise, you make the flywheel gear turn clockwise, which is the opposite direction the crankshaft turns while running. So, since you can't turn the idler gears clockwise, which makes the flywheel gear turn cunter clockwise, your stater clutch is engaging and will turn the crankshaft, if you were to put some **** behind your turns and make the idler gears spin clockwise.

Last edited:
"if you were to put some **** behind your turns and make the idler gears spin clockwise. " I dont think i know what you mean? you mean some power meaning the starter motor? and your saying my starter clutch is engaging? so everything should be working?

I mean put some ass into turning those gears by hand and the crank should turn counter clockwise. Pull the spark plug out to make it easier. If the crank turns you KNOW the starter clutch is working

id stick the starter and the shaft back in and hit the start bottom with the plug wire off and you'll see what its doing cuz maybe the gear on the start it self is just not spinning when the starter is (fix new starter) or if thats working right it could be spinning the fly wheel on the crank but on the crank (fix new timing key)

do you mean leave the stator cover off while i put the starter back in and push the start button with the plug wire off of course (bones)? and Genpat1 do you mean to turn the gears the same way i was turning them in the video just with some more juice? and how would i know the crank is turning if i did that? sorry you guys, kinda new to this.

I just tried this, the key was off, i bypassed the starter relay, sparkpug out, and i didnt have the stator in but i dont think that would matter when im trying to turn the crank right?

Back