sparkplug at track!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yea my filter hasnt been cleaned in forever, i need to clean it
you gotta clean the air filter cody rinse it in some gas and ring it out and let dry then rub clean oil into it that dirty filter could be your problem she can't breath and that would make her run rich even with stock jetting

oh i see, well i have a k&n so i cant really use gas im pretty sure. have any tricks besides using the k&n cleaner midway or yamahauler?

I've heard of guys using Simple Green, but it is a little pricey too. I always just bought the charging kits at O'Reilly Auto Parts. It had the cleaner and oil all in one kit.

thats what i will do midway, and i just checked my oil today and it was full. so it cant be burning oil or not much at all if thats the case. I will clean my air filter and see what happens though oh and by the way i put the DR8EA back in.

As for the plug, the D7EA is a cooler heat range than what Yamaha puts in them.........

A common misconception, but not true.....

With Motorcycle plugs, "the lower the number the hotter the Plug."

Correct, though, that it is different than Yamaha (D8xx) recommends.

I run a D7xx in mine, and it's golden......

-Rhyno

On Edit: "Hotter" means a higher "Retained Heat" in the Porcelain of the Plug, not anything else like Combustion Temp, Spark Advance, or any other guess.......

Of course EGT's will change, because more or less fuel will be burned/or wasted....depending on which direction you go.....

Last edited:
I have been away for a short while, so I haven't heard if Cody has gone through and finished his carb.

I hate to beat a "Dead Horse," but incorrect Float height, wrong needle position, wrong jets, (both of them) will make it look like that.

So will certain fuel additives, Marvel Mystery oil, etc.

-Rhyno

:slayer: (Damn it....I told myself that I would not reply to this non changing, Dead Horse:slayer:)

Last edited:
He has all factory jetting in the carb now Rhyno But he did say his air filter is really dirty and so we told him to clean it and go from there cause a dirty plugged air filter will also cause the plug to look like that if she can't breath good she's gonna run really rich also

He has all factory jetting in the carb now Rhyno But he did say his air filter is really dirty and so we told him to clean it and go from there cause a dirty plugged air filter will also cause the plug to look like that if she can't breath good she's gonna run really rich also

That's true, I am glad that you and others have mentioned it.

I wonder if anybody has showed him how easy it is to "Over Oil" the air filter and cause a Rich condition?

Hopefully he is cleaning the filter, shaking the gas/filter cleaner out, allowing to dry, and (here comes the important part) using a cheap plastic Grocery bag, to disperse the new air filter oil.

Most people, including myself, at one time, have over oiled their filters.

Hopefully he will put the filter in the bag, just the foam, not the cage, and add a small amount of oil. Then squeeze it around and watch the oil move onto the rest of the filter. Then put a small amount more, and do the same thing, again. Eventually he'll have it covered, and can try to Squeeze or Wring out the excess oil.

Plus, his hands will stay clean and he can throw the bag into the "Recycle Bin."

-Rhyno

P.S. Cody, Your popups suck!

Last edited:
well he has a K&N filter so there is no foam he was gonna go get the cleaner and recharge kit for it at the parts store though

well he has a K&N filter so there is no foam he was gonna go get the cleaner and recharge kit for it at the parts store though

Well, if he has a K&N, the grocery bag trick is out of the question.

You can only, Over Oil a K&N.......:haha:

There's no way to control or squeeze out the excess..

-Rhyno

On Edit: K&N's Suck, too..... They have a great Marketing and Sales Dept. but they Under perform with the Filtering and are a pain in the @ss.

He should go get a Two Stage Foam filter (Like a UNI or something else) and wrap it in size QQ Knee High PantyHose.

Last edited:
A common misconception, but not true.....

With Motorcycle plugs, "the lower the number the hotter the Plug."

Correct, though, that it is different than Yamaha (D8xx) recommends.

I run a D7xx in mine, and it's golden......

-Rhyno

On Edit: "Hotter" means a higher "Retained Heat" in the Porcelain of the Plug, not anything else like Combustion Temp, Spark Advance, or any other guess.......

Of course EGT's will change, because more or less fuel will be burned/or wasted....depending on which direction you go.....
I looked at it wrong. Correct according to this page:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/p2.asp?mode=nml

Or this image from that page:

chartheatratingflowpath-2.gif

That is probably why the 7 worked better than the 8. Supports the theory that you are on the rich side.

I ran K&N filters on my Banshee and never had an issue with them. I also had outerwears on them too. I kept a spare oiled up ready to go and just swapped them out after every dune trip. I have foam on my stuff now. The Warrior has a Pro design single stage and the Raptor has a UNI dual stage. They are definitely easier to maintain.

Last edited:
No, but the hotter plug won't hurt anything as long as you aren't borderline lean. I would clean that filter and run either one and see how it works. I bet the D8 is fouled and I would either get new plugs or glass bead the ones you have.

Back