Ran the 446

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave76: The same thing happened to me after my build. Only mine sized the intake rocker arm completely and bent my valve when the piston came up.....grrrrr

I'm curious, what was it clogged with?
With breakin stuff, metal flakes, what ever crumbs fall of the rag used to wiper it down, extra gasket material. Anyone who does a rebuild, run the motor for a few minutes and do an oil change immidiately. I'm gonna do another one.

Just spoke to Mickey Dunlap of FST he said send the head in for repair. The rocker is seized to the shaft and the only way to get it out is with a plazma cutter. The shaft is hardend and isn't really easy to get to.

Dang the luck. Hope you get it together soon.

I think that is a good idea dave to send the head out. I'm suprised the pickup screen was that full of ****. I haven't done mine yet as my oil looks super clean yet.. I'll have to give it a change here soon.
Is that the biggest cam Mickey sells for his stroker engine, the 252-x1 grind?

Nah he'll get the big Powroll grind for ya. Actually I took the cam out today to see the damage and there isn't really any bad damage except for some scoring, so I'm going to try both grinds and see what suits me best. It hard not to ride it, I took it for a ride today, I love the power this motor has.

I'm gonna pull it appart tomarrow and send out the head on Thursday, hopefully the turnaround time won't be long.

That Cometic EST gasket I guess they claim that you can reuse it and you don't have to retorque it.
Mickey must have his own stroker cam or something... or I wonder if it's something that Megacycle produces but only for powroll and fst?

Well the top end is all appart, I see I did have some piston to valve contact, but it did no damage, but due to no oiling the cylinder has substantial wear so that'll have to have another sleeve pressed in and new rings, damn, but the piston looks good. It's going to FST tomarrow. I really wish I didn't have to spend tis extra money, because it's out of stupidity. :mad: :(

Son of a bitch!! Really the cylinder has a lot of wear to it.. To much to hone out? I'm sorry to hear that dave. Pic's?

Alright here's the pics
Exhaust thrust side only after 1 hour of run time
Picture189.jpg

Intake thrust side
Picture188.jpg

Picture190.jpg

Piston top
Picture192.jpg

Just to show how small the skirt is on this piston
Picture193.jpg

Ported intake
Picture191.jpg

Looks like your running a little rich yet too so there is still power left in there that way.
Can you feel the scratches with your finger nail or with a small flat blade screw driver(lightly touching)? It really does look wore.. sonofagun.

BTW: I know it doesn't matter but just want to point out something here. See the flat top piston people? These are the best way to make power because the flame front doesn't have to travel over a hump or around anything, they claim that anything over .100" dome robs big power if incorrect designed. Engine builders have found that these make the best horsepower if they can achive what they want in compression. Powroll uses more of a dome shaped piston, FYI. Another reason FST is better choise.

This sounds really stupid as I didn't gap my rings on my engine.. I thought the top ring was spec'd at 84mm so if they bored it around 85 or so then the gap would have came out just about perfect.. but I never freaking check it ... dumb move on my part!
I think the 85mm piston spec's at 279g. I wonder what the stock one weights?

Back