Ran the 446

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is really funny after looking at the Yamaha Factory Service manuel, it states a dry engine needs 3.38 Qts of oil, I put 2.5 Qts and the 3.38 doesn't include the oil cooler volume or lines which come in around 1 more Qt. I forgot to tell you guys that when I checked the oil after the problem, it didn't even register on the stick (bad move), so I basically starved the motor for oil. You know I should of looked at Factory manuel first because it gives way more info then Clymers.

Well, I guess a little oil is better then none. I'd pull the top end appart.. cam and lifters see how it looks and go from there. You didn't pre lube the oil cooler? ****! Roller bearings usally can take quite the beating and run with out oil or very little as long as they don't get ultra hot. Just where the friction bearings are is where she's going to wear the most. Did you run it for a while like this?

I actually did put some oil in the cooler, after lookin at the diagram, it seems like a fail safe oiling system, were the crank gets most of the oil and the top end gets whats left. Also another thing that Clymers dosn't tell ya that the factory manuel tells ya is when the motor is dry to actually put oil in the head so it pools up around the cam, and the top end is splash oiling. The oil floods the camshaft and seeps through the oiling holes in the cam to lube the rocker pads and spashes oil around the rocker shafts. Damage was minimal but I got off with luck, and yes I did get the Powroll full race cam.

Didnt you have a different cam in there before? I havent been fallowing along but i saw you said that and i think you had somthing different in there before that wasnt stock.

Didnt you have a different cam in there before? I havent been fallowing along but i saw you said that and i think you had somthing different in there before that wasnt stock.
Yeah I currently have a Megacycle 252 X1, thats now probably trashed.

Are you sure dave.. it looks like actually that the cam inside is pressure lubed or oil is fed to the inside and out to the lifter pads then pools down under the cam and once the oil reaches a height then it will go down the other side of the head?

Oh yeah the cam is pressure lubed but the rockers look splash lubed, plus how would the rocker shafts get oiled. Hmmm the mistery continues.lol ;D

No need to get new springs. I bet the valves got hot! Hopefully the exhaust valve didn't seize or anything.. what I've seen alot of with the little engines at work is that people will not clean the air out as there air cooled and then the heat will build up and cause the exhuast valve to seize and the rock arm will try and push the valve down and push the guide down instead! Also bends the push rod.

No need to get new springs. I bet the valves got hot! Hopefully the exhaust valve didn't seize or anything.. what I've seen alot of with the little engines at work is that people will not clean the air out as there air cooled and then the heat will build up and cause the exhuast valve to seize and the rock arm will try and push the valve down and push the guide down instead! Also bends the push rod.
After reajusting the valve the motor ran good, I ordered a new rocker and shaft anyway.

Oh yeah the cam is pressure lubed but the rockers look splash lubed, plus how would the rocker shafts get oiled. Hmmm the mistery continues.lol ;D

Yeah I believe those (rocker arms) are splash lubed.

wft does btw mean i see it all the time and someone told me what it was but i forgot what it ment, please inform and sorry i corrupted your thread here.

Well after working on it I found the real problem, it was simple one too. I decided to do an oil change and found the pickup screen completely clogged. After I did the oil change I couldn't even back the oil pressure plug out a few turns before oil was going all over. Took it for a ride and it still rips, but I'm going to send the head back to FST to take care of what ever problems were caused. Sometimes being in a rush isn't good.

Latest posts

Back