oil cooler idea

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duneracerweston

Reaction score
Ok this idea got vooked up on the way back from little sahara what if we fabed and mounted a oil cooler/oil tank any ideas are welcome like what all it would take to do ect.

i had the idea in the past about installing both the big bear and clutch type oil cooler. I never tried it, I thought the oil pump might not be able to handle the extra lines and coolers.

what about doing a splitter odn the return line and feeding cool oil to two places, head and crank, like one through the valve cover and the other to the crank?

I was going to put it inline with the oil cooler and make it so it could hold like a extra 2 quarts of oil so the oil life would last longer and I would put it under the head pipe on the frame and make the tank out of aluminum

Food for thought:
My semi-educated guess on the Big Bear cooler being OE engineering is that these engines do NOT need oil pressure, so to speak. They need volume. They are roller bearing throughout, no plain bearings like an automobile. Plain bearings rely on pressure to keep the oil film between the crank, rods and bearing surfaces. Plain bearinged engines "float" the journals; they do not actually contact the bearings themselves.

Take a look at the little weenie hole in the clutch cover feed compared to the Big Bear cooler cap/lines... You can only cram X amount of 10W40 through a given orifice... How much of a potential fluid volume difference is there between the two?
I say a lot...

I was going to put it inline with the oil cooler and make it so it could hold like a extra 2 quarts of oil so the oil life would last longer and I would put it under the head pipe on the frame and make the tank out of aluminum

A pretty good idea, IMO. Extra volume is good.
Kind of a semi dry-sump idea. (Dry sumps typically hold several gallons in race cars). Look at a 410 Sprint car, NASCAR, etc. Not exactly the same, or for the same reason, but...

ya or a kfx i just thought it couldnt hurt its just that the oil gets so damn hot the clutch dosent want to pull 6th with 1 1/8th inch paddles

this s a mock up of what i was thinking
IMG_20110317_204814.jpg

IMG_20110317_204757.jpg

IMG_20110317_204850.jpg

this is what i was doing to make it slip the clutch
weston3.jpg

Ok so I've been looking for a cooler on ebay but were did every one get their coolers? I want the short one that tucks under the hood and dosent show the perma cool 1007 or something real similar but I would like it to be cheap

Latest posts

Back