htrods 379 vs cwr 400 vs hicomp 366cc

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the posts ! Genpat1 option is the most powerfull but the most expensive.
DRW is the least expensive but relyes on good porting( probably not DIY).
One of the things that ive learn here on this forum, is that the warrior bottleneck is the head.
Any my budget is about 500.
Before the stroker fever started :) and got me thinking i was going with
366cc je 10.5:1
HC stg1
diy porting
fcr 39mm

maybe 30 hp?

There is a lot of different directions to go. I would think about if you can run race gas or say E85 then go with the 12:1 JE piston 85mm bore if you want to run pump gas then stay with the 10.5:1 JE piston. Both JE pistons run .015" base gasket and .030-.040" head gasket this will keep the deck height correct and you will make more hp and engine will run cooler with less detonation. I would then run a stage 1 HC or .413" web cam and just get a good valve job done. I would look for a fcr or mikuni flat slide carb with accel pump that is 37mm-38mm no bigger, since the engine won't be all out top end but more all around power a smaller carb will work better and be more responsive. I would get the raptor intake manifold and get rid of the stock intake and air box setup. Also look for a supertrap reverse megaphone exhaust. You won't have as much peak power but more more all around power. You may have to get an adjustable cam sprocket...

Jason's setup is a great woods/intermediate rider build. To accurately tell you what the best setup is for you we need to know your style, do you lug around and occasionally punch it? Do you ride balls out all the time like me and pat at Hatfield? Or do you let that motor scream and use the upper rpms all the time like me? There's a reason for the saying different strokes for different folks. I love a screamer motor. Thats why I built a short stroke motor. If you love torque, a stroker is the bomb!

Its all gonna come down to porting. Now, if you have never ported a head, or never learned from some one who ports these style heads, I suggest shipping it out and having it done. DIY porting is hit and miss at best.

Hey dude ! I got the Hotrods 379 CC kit and I'm really having a blast ! Raced my friends stock 01 Warrior 350 and smoked it like crazy ! I then raced a stock 400 EX and I had about 2 quad lenghts infront. It is very respectable and I can't give it any CONS. All PROS right up to now ! Hope this helps you !

You can see my 379 CC kit in action in the video section ! Good Luck !:tup:

I mostly ride on trails some tight and some wide and long(but i usualy dont flat out for long.
this is my ridding area --arrabida mountain --
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwTmIiJxtSc
Some sand(not like desert but beach and a very big sand quarry with some cool hills)
My riding style is more or less like you are doing in the GOPRO thread, drw.
Cant run race gas not available and rare, we got europe 98ron is it close to race gas?
If i buy the je piston how can i get the correct thickness gaskets?
Is this the correct type of carb?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Mikuni-38-mm-Flat-Slide-Carb-off-of-04-CR250R-Honda-/111080455012
Thanks for the help and guidance

HI doddyboy! I ve seen your videos very nice quad you should post more videos!
Do you have your head p$p? I m having great difficulty in find someone here in portugal who knows what they re doing...
Do you have the 9:1 comp piston?

HI doddyboy! I ve seen your videos very nice quad you should post more videos!
Do you have your head p$p? I m having great difficulty in find someone here in portugal who knows what they re doing...
Do you have the 9:1 comp piston?

Hey ! Nope the head is not ported ! Only machining that was done was the cylinder to fit the 84 mm +1 piston. Compression Ratio (x:y):
10.25:1 It's a great upgrade !

I wish i could do more videos but I have a 2 year old baby and a pregnant wife so I rarely go on the quad. I'll try to do more ! Have fun dude it's really worth it !:tup:

Congrats on the new baby!! I have two of my own! A 5 yar old daugther and a 22 month old son.
Thanks for posting the store, how did you get the 10.25:1 piston? Is it a wiseco normal one and had a spacer plate made?

Another question ...sorry... just trying to get a little bit more educated...
Does the warrior piston at TDC is exactly at zero deck height?
Can i play with bore an stroke as long i respect zero deck height?
If i go above would i hit a valve?
If i go down the hole i will lose C.R.?
thanks, sorry for all the questions

Jason's setup is a great woods/intermediate rider build. To accurately tell you what the best setup is for you we need to know your style, do you lug around and occasionally punch it? Do you ride balls out all the time like me and pat at Hatfield? Or do you let that motor scream and use the upper rpms all the time like me? There's a reason for the saying different strokes for different folks. I love a screamer motor. Thats why I built a short stroke motor. If you love torque, a stroker is the bomb!

Its all gonna come down to porting. Now, if you have never ported a head, or never learned from some one who ports these style heads, I suggest shipping it out and having it done. DIY porting is hit and miss at best.

Personally I feel like that is disrespectful to call my build "intermediate rider build."
You will find more top level riders riding torque motors over high reving top end ones.
If the guy wants to spend $500 bucks he is not going to have enough money to get his head ported. So the next best option is to build an engine around that. Which honestly is going to be faster out of the hole and more torque then say something with all out top end.

Last edited:
I really don't think he ment it that way. He was describing his full race setup to your more woods oriented setup

I didn't mean it disrespectfully. I ment in ease to ride, its a great motor setup, very rider friendly. I ment it in how hard it would be to utilize the motor. That motor would be the middle ground between stock and a peaky screamer motor like I have. Ment no disrespect by it. If he rides sand I recommend the stroker because of the added torque.

Whatever setup he does, he needs to save money for porting.
I was afraid of that... Can i just get away with eliminating the casting marks and smothing all sharp turns in the end of the runners? Match the carb,boot and intake hole? Polish the exhaust?
Althoug money is an issue, the fact is that i cant find any shop that does that kind of work, they all do bolt on perf. parts....

Last edited:
Send your head to cwr and have them do a p&p and put a .415 cam in her

I apriciate the tip but i m from Portugal... on postage alone it would cost me a almost
new quad lol

Then I'd leave it simple, 10.5:1 366 & a CWR .415. That should make decent power without porting, no need for race fuel, etc. My opinion is that most of your power is in the head and of you can't afford the head porting there is no need to get too crazy. Doobyboy says he's happy with his setup and that's fine but he's left alot in the table by not having a good port job done.

Latest posts

Back