Help me build a super tough axle and swingarm combo.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I may have to make my own link. Ideally I'll just make the stock link mount to the new swinger and maybe I'll get my hands on a rear shock from an 01' raptor.

Have Scott build you one, honda style carrier with solve a lot of your issues. that 450 carrier should bolt right into place. +2 is a good number. Hell you could go +6 and still be able to pull the wheels up!

image.jpg

Here is the aftermarket Houser YFZ450 swing arm in place with just the pilot bolt in. The yfz pilot tube is narrower then the YFM so I'll have to make spacers or weld the YFM tube to the new swinger. I know I have to do some work on it to get the link to attach.

You know your probably right, I was soo tired this morning that I didn't even read the sticker. The guy I got it from said it was freshly powder coded. I'll check when I get out there to work on it.

A little more progress, the swing arm pivot tube on the warrior is about 9.3/4" wide.
image-2.jpg

The YFZ450 is about 8.7/8" wide
image-1.jpg

I'll have to fill the extra width with spacers, a couple 1/4" or 3/8" disks and a few thin washers to use as shims. It should be strait forward getting everything lined up.

image-5.jpg

I'm going to have to cut the link mount out of the swing arm, to make room for where the Warrior shock will go. The two pieces welded on each side with the holes will be removed and maybe re-used to make a mount for the warrior link farther back on the swinger.

The gap between the two sides of the pivot tubes was used for a part of the YFZ link. I'll make a piece to fill the gap in order to keep the bushings in the tubes in place.

image-3.jpg

Friday I'm going to the Michigan to pick up a a few things at Motorcity ATV and a fresh chain that should be in.

My GF is picking up a 45T sprocket that will fit the YFZ rear. Going from a 48T to a 45 will bump my gearing up by 6%.

I'll add progress pics as I get work done.

I love this thread.. I really wanna see the swinger in the quad, and complete.
I would just go with the washers, and shims between the frame, and pivot caps. That should work fine. And you could use just about anything for the center of the pivot to fill that gap.

I really wish I had the money to get my swinger right now. I really wanna get after it. lol

just your information there is thread called "yfz swinger?" that has a lot of swing arm measurements that might of help you with this i think it post #18 in the tread but i'll check on that

Thanks Bones, I have looked at that thread and it helped me decide to go with the YFZ swinger.

I spent 1/2 the day driving around gathering stuff for the quad. My new chain arrived 16,000lb 520 one of the best you can buy apparently from sidewinder.

I also went to see the guys at Motorcity ATV. I picked up Banshee suspension link, ($10) It looks like the large part is the same as the warrior but the little piece is a bit shorter then the warriors. I'll take a side by side pic and measurements when I have them both off.

I picked up a new billet block-off plate for the rear caliper ($13) and a rear 450 brake rotor with hub ($20) from motorcity. He has about 15 complete and ride-able Banshees that he hasn't even started parting out yet. He has 6 or 7 YFZ450 that are waiting to be disassembled and sold. If your looking for YFZ or banshee stuff, they have EVERYTHING.

A friend of mine happens to me a machinist, I stopped in his work and had him make up a bunch of mild steel spacers. The Pivot bolt is about 5/8" dia, and the OD of the end caps is about 1 1/2. He made up a bunch of spacers from 1/8 to 3/8 thick 5/8" id x1 1/4" od. I'll have to try a few combinations of spacers to line the sprockets up. The next guy that does a YFZ swinger swap on a stock 350 Warrior we should find out the exact width of the two spacers to get it to line up without having to mess with it.

sorry about the crappy pic, this is today's catch.

image-6.jpg

That set up looks good, Luscombe. I see lots of talk about Swing Arm Shop arms... I would stay away from them BTW, very cheaply made products.

Idk what products you've gotten from them 97. But, I really like the extended swinger I got from them. Haven't gotten it on yet, but, it is a really nice piece.

That set up looks good, Luscombe. I see lots of talk about Swing Arm Shop arms... I would stay away from them BTW, very cheaply made products.
Whaaaat?
Their good quality, I dunno where your come'n from..
2 of the guys I ride with have them, and their very well made. But their heavy..

Mine is probably no heavier then stock. I have not compared them, but I think it could be a hair lighter then my stocker.

Back