Help me build a super tough axle and swingarm combo.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like don't get me wrong rappy, I'm not try'n to be a dink and say your wrong. But some peoples perception of poor quality varies from others. I like the Swingarm Shops swingers, and I'm gonna buy one here shortly. lol
He's making me a custom, one off swinger though.

@Pat:
What kinda swinger are you running? I thought you were rolling stock..

My stocker is on right now, but, I asked for a +3 swinger from the swing arm shop. It's in a box, at our shop. I'm not putting it in untill I get the stroker together, and do the whole restoration.

Just a thought, when I was at motorcity he had a few swingarms that caught my eye because it was just a cut off and extended stock banshee swing arm but with a round carrier mount. He has a pile of stock banshee swing arms so he sends a few to a local welding shop and has them extended 3"-4" and converted to round carrier. It looked a little bastardized but he only charges $120 for them. I wonder what they would charge to chop up a warrior swinger and convert it to a round carrier. I would have gone that way if i had known about it before I got mine. I may still send an old YFM swinger and have it done. It would be an easy way to use the YFZ450 simply adjustable round carrier, big brakes, wider axle with the stock warrior suspension.

I'll send him an email and see if they can and what they will charge.

I spent 4 hours tonight working on the Warrior. I needed to make a mount for the suspension link on the YFZ swing arm. I cut up a stock Warrior swinger and landed up with this.

image-13.jpg

I cleaned up the YFZ swinger then after this pic was taken cut the original shock mount off to make room for where the Warrior shock will go.

image-14.jpg

The trial fit of my new swinger. I only have the pivot spacers on the right side, everything looks like its going to work out just fine. I'm really happy with how the swing arm looks. It should be much stronger then stock.

image-11.jpg

image-12.jpg

I should be able to put most everything back together tomorrow.

looks good man ... but are you going to clean up those welds ? and powder coat or paint it ?

Bones, I did all the welding with a 120v flux core mig. It does a great job on material as tin as this but it makes a gross amount of platter. I cleaned it up with a flapdisk and spray painted it black. You may have noticed with my build that I`m not all that big on vanity `Go before show`. Maybe someday I`ll take the whole bike apart and make it look pretty.

Does anyone have a nice set of plastics (blue, white, Black) I can buy in Ontario or Michigan?

All I weld with is a motomaster 20 amp flux core (canadian tire special).. If you have your wire speed set right, you can run a nice bead with them. lol
I always just clean my welds with a buffing wheel, and call it good.

Bones, I did all the welding with a 120v flux core mig. It does a great job on material as tin as this but it makes a gross amount of platter. I cleaned it up with a flapdisk and spray painted it black. You may have noticed with my build that I`m not all that big on vanity `Go before show`. Maybe someday I`ll take the whole bike apart and make it look pretty.

Does anyone have a nice set of plastics (blue, white, Black) I can buy in Ontario or Michigan?

Lookin damn good man. Hey BTW i have a real nice Lonestar Billet carrier for a yfz if your interested.

My new chain arrived 16,000lb 520 one of the best you can buy apparently from sidewinder.

BY FAR the best you can buy. If you get there sprockets, you'll never have to buy one again, they will replace them for free for life.

chop up a warrior swinger and convert it to a round carrier. I would have gone that way if i had known about it before I got mine.

we have some threads on here about doing this, I found a company that sells the housings pre-made. 87warrior made a few and made the one I am running now.

The mod looks great man, coming along very nice, deff what your quad needed!

It's interesting that you brought that thread up. I was just talking to Luscombe about building my own swingarm today, right from scratch...
That way I could build it the way I want. But would it be more cost effective to buy one from the swinger shop for $250 bucks?
I'm just try'n to save money, and weight. So I dunno what to do???

Its finally done!! Today I reassembled everything it looks like it ill work out just fine. I cut my new chain to length, and adjusted the chain for the first time with the round carrier, why has Yamaha been pissing around with the system they use? This could not be easier to use and it should prove to be tougher then the old type.

I had to build a couple spacers for the chain guide because I'm using a 45T rear sprocket and it was not going to touch the guide. I moved the guide about 1" forward.

To finish of the swing arm project I took a couple hours to build a skid plate. Nothing I found was going to work. The YFZ skid mounts with 4 6mm bolts that go vertically into the swing arm, I could only use to back two mounts because my linkage is in the way. I made a decent rear skid using Hardox 400 blade steel, Its amazingly strong for the weight but is too hard to cut with a saw or drill. I'll take a pic of the skidplate before I instal it.

The only progress pic of the day

image-15.jpg

Tomorrow I'll install the skidplate, check over the whole bike then maybe go for a ride.

The project was a complete success!! I put it all together, checked it over and went for a 10 min ride. It feels quite different, its much stiffer then it was before. Not suspension wise but in the driveline, if I unload the chain and give it a slight twitch of throttle in 1st gear it now gives a bit of a snap when the chain comes tight. Maybe its just be but it it feels like its more direct now, I'd guess its because there is very little flex compared to the stock rear end. I set the chain to about 1" of up/down slack without a rider. I'll have to play with the chain tension to see what will work best with this setup.

My chain and disk guard.

image-17.jpg

image-16.jpg

Latest posts

Back