Detroit Gearless Locker

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was tempted to do the crank as well but for the extra 12cc's that it will provide(at the cost of over 500-700 additional $$) I decided that that could go toward more stuff that would make more power or top end speed in the end than a few cc's

Well the gearless locker arrived today, I had a few shipping concerns, but atv outfitters was more than helpful and went the extra mile to assure me he was all over ups to make sure I got it today...I would say that Matthew was a great help there and a pleasure to deal with...he had the best price I could find on the kit and was quick to deal with my shipping issues.

I took some pictures as I did the install, it was I will post the pictures if people would like....it was pretty easy and quick.....I took my time and cleaned everything up as I put it back together........I figure about 3 to 4 hours......I will do a test run this weekend and post results.. :D

Ohh wow I can't wait. I hate having that one wheel fire! lol if all works out I'm getting one. I do to much mudding not to have one. damn I'm excited

Ok quick Review on the Detroit gearless locker ......

here are a couple concerns I was worried about before buying and installing it....

#1 I was worried about how hard it would be to turn on the technical type trails and rock climbs in at slow speeds.....

#2 I was also worried about having the power to turn all four 26 inch Zillas in the mud...

#3 versatility for different types of riding....how much will the tires grab in tight turns.

ok as for the technical part...I did a pretty wicked rock climb today and had no problem at all....I found it to be so much better than before ....constant traction.....amazed at the difference

as for power.....I found it to be pretty good.....had a couple problems in some mud, but really was very minor....overall pretty happy with the performance in the mud.....I found I could crawl through mud holes much better.

as for the versatility of the locker I am overall pleased it is much more to handle with all the tires turning. ... very tiring on the body and it takes some getting used to riding with it engaged....but I did find it got much easier as the day went on. there was a learning curve as I had got pretty used to the bike the way it was before...with a very light 25 inch tire and 3 wheel drive....but with the 26 inch aggressive Zillas and a locker the changes are well worth the money for the riding I like to do in my opinion...

I am 9 out of 10 on overall impression of the locker....

I will also say that the install is really not bad at all....I am pretty handy with working on that type of stuff but I think it would be a pretty easy job for most anyone..... :D

a few pictures of the install...

DSC00035.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00045.jpg

DSC00047.jpg

just so I'm not confused, you still have 2wd right? Just when you turn on 4wd it's really 4 instead of 3? Also, which kit on that link is the right one for the wolverine 450?

clint said:
just so I'm not confused, you still have 2wd right? Just when you turn on 4wd it's really 4 instead of 3? Also, which kit on that link is the right one for the wolverine 450?

yes that is correct, you still have 2 wd ...locker just locks all 4 when your 4wd selector button is installed...... the kit is

LCKHLDET-3

the key is to only take out the pieces shown in the picture.... do not mess with the spacers/washers......and when you install it the kit comes with two spacers for the locker....you need to change the one out to the smaller one in order to get the pin to fit correctly...it is a very easy job...make sure you add the gear additive as well....if you have any questions i am more than happy too help you out if you want to give me a call..... pm me if you do i will send you my # also there is a pdf file online that has much better pictures than what comes with the kit...i had my laptop out in the garage when i did mine just to have reference...

tell Matthew you heard about the kit from Bill in canada.... he is great to deal with...and he also knows what kit will work... :D

FYI.... I was the one of the people that installed the locker on the 450, and did the write up on the install....I should update the post.... the locker worked great for 4 or 5 runs out and i was very impressed, but since then i have had many problems, it was only grabbing one side and not the other, so i tried replacing the clutches and the springs , as sugested by highlifter, i have had the front diff in and out of the machine at least 10 times trying toget it working again, with no luck, both wheels will turn but i can stop the one by hand and hold it ....so it is not correct....at this point i have somewhat givin up.... i am back running 3 wheel drive......i am not sure what the problem is or what i could do to fix it. it not being sold for the wolverine causes an issue for support......at some point when i am not so frusterated with it i will try messing with it again....i do miss having it.

definetly let us know what you find out, im glad that I havent dumped the money into a locker yet then if they are not going to be very helpful, I hope you get it fixed without too much trouble.

ctateusa1 said:
definetly let us know what you find out, im glad that I havent dumped the money into a locker yet then if they are not going to be very helpful, I hope you get it fixed without too much trouble.

don't get me wrong they have been helpfull.highlifter has sent me parts under warenty, they just do not know what i was putting it in....this all started with that guy lips420 or whatever his name is saying he had one, and it worked great, but after reading more of his posts i get the impression he is full of a ton of bs......i will try again and let everyone know.... :D

any more news a bout the locker? i would like one but i want to make sure it works right before i spend the money on one

Ok, while this has turned into a thread directed towards the newer 450cc auto, this was originally about the old 350cc manual.... dont get me wrong, I'm not bitchin, just wanted to post that I did purchase the DGL for my '04....it didnt fit. But...
A quick visit to the machinist and they milled one side of the large outer spacer, and it fits like a charm. Had an issue with the bottle of additive, Customs mustve been suspicious about it and had a look because it was spilled out allover inside the box. However, if you live closer to a Chevy dealership than Highlifters headquarters, buy a bottle of AC Delco Limited Slip Differential Lubricant Additive, 114mL bottle, part number 992694. Its the same stuff, same size bottle, same everything except its alot cheaper and alot more accessible than waiting for your distributor to order a bottle in from Highlifter.
One other note... and this will aply to the 450cc autos, too.... Soak the clutch discs in the gear oil with the additive added prior to assembly! After all, nobody likes it dry... :lol:

sorry, no pics this time. There are 2 large spacers that go on each side of the locker, each spacer has an offset shoulder inside, so theres a deep and a shallow side. I ended up milling the one side of one spacer even with the inside shoulder, i believe it was the shallow if memory serves correct. And so far so good!

deepriggin said:
sorry, no pics this time. There are 2 large spacers that go on each side of the locker, each spacer has an offset shoulder inside, so theres a deep and a shallow side. I ended up milling the one side of one spacer even with the inside shoulder, i believe it was the shallow if memory serves correct. And so far so good!

I would like to add that the same thing happned to me with the gear addative had opned up and soaked the box ( and it smells very strongly ) highlifter did say the chevy oil is the same but you do not need a full bottle, i was told you do not need much at all. like 1/4 of the bottle....not sure if that is true or not, but i think when i get around to trying mine again i will soak the clutches as well.... see if that will work...when i did have the locker working 3/4 of a bottle went in the diff....so who knows..... muddy season is coming i will have to try it again...

It stank like an old tom cat sprayed the box! That stuff is rank! Yeah, best advice I can give is the pre-soaking of the clutch discs, that advice was given to me very strongly by a local DGL authority. That and changing the lubricant frequently to avoid contamination issues, esp. if riding in 3 foot deep muskeg and sloughs like I do.

Back