Detroit Gearless Locker

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepriggin

Reaction score
Alright, I'm tired of three wheel drive in the situations where the one tire I need to move is the one that wont turn, I dont want a spool locker or "the little washer" that locks the front end solid, I want the DGL so it'll allow a slight variance in wheel speed to allow turns and wont pile the front end up if I'm working it side to side jarring the wheels against the sides of the ruts. One catch though. Everywhere I look the DGL is listed for 2001 and earlier models of Wolverines, it even states " NOT the 2002". Now, did Yamaha change the front diff that much in 02, and assuming they kept this changed diffy till the 04/ 05 model ( mine is an 04), is the diffy swappable with a pre 01 model, lines up and accepts the driveshaft/ u-joint? I know they musta changed something around '99 cuz Warn offers a pre 99 and post 99 424 Select, Anyone got a DGL, wanna fill us all in on some often overlooked info? Thanks guys.

Alright - the two units I ran are the following: A 1999 Wolverine and a 2002 Wolverine

Front differential ring gears = SAME
Front differential case halves = SAME (both halves)
Front differential limited slip bearings = SAME
Front differential itself = DIFFERENT

This tells us the only change they made was to the limited slip itself. Everything else that it bolts up to is the same for the newer unit as the older. As the new unit is more expensive, I'm assuming it's a change to internals - likely to make the internals exactly the same as another bike or maybe even simply a pad change on the slip plates.

Now, way back when, when I was looking to buy one of these gadgets, I called and asked about the unit - what I was told is that they test fit one and then said it would fit every wolverine with the EXACT same part number front differential and that the testing stopped there. They didn't want to do a test fit into another unit as they would have to buy one - end of story.

Now, that being said, I'd lay a $20 bill on the table and say that if you order it and it doesn't fit, you can have my money.

As a supplier for almost all OEM and most aftermarket parts, let me know if you are seriously considering buying one as I might be able to beat all other prices you can find - I'll let you do the legwork first and let me know what you find.

Yeah, I snooped around the 'net for a bit and found a parts site, basically Yamaha changed the driveshaft and U-joints after 1999, and the limited slip mechanism in 2002, if anything, I could get an old style limited slip unit if the DGL isnt compatible, everything else about the front diff is the same ( pinion drive gear, housing, bearings, etc..) I'm curious to know what kind of prices you can come up with, including shipping to Canada, PM me if you're feeling ambitious... ;)

I'm out of town until Monday - which means I'm away from all my sources. If you are in no rush, I'll get on it early next week and let you know what I find out.

I'm kinda eager to see someone put a DGL into a wolverine front diff that it isn't specified for. This will proove once and for all that it can/can't be done. My money is on "Can".

What ever happened here???? The funny thing with this thread is I have been doing research in to something like this and just now came across this one!!!!!

I am comparing Front Diffs.
2003 Kodiak 400 -VS- 2006 Wolverine 450.

So far my homework is showing good results. There is only a few more things I need to verify but I?m thinking about buying a Detroit Gearless Locker for the 03? Kodiak and putting it in the 06' Wolverine.

post when you get an answer man, i'd like to do the same. It sucks when you only get soaked with mud by one tire instead of two :D

Mark21 said:
post when you get an answer man, i'd like to do the same. It sucks when you only get soaked with mud by one tire instead of two :D

I will be sure to keep you posted !!!! Im really thinking about ordering it and seeing whats up!!!! My buddy is really trying to get me to buy it....even if its not list as a part for our bikes ( 06-08 450's)!!!! We will make it work!!!!!!MY NEXT MOD ON THE LIST!!!!!!!! Now I need to come up with the money LOL

I "think" one'll be going into my 04 in the next month or so.... Who am I kidding, I'm gonna order one in a couple weeks, if it dont work in the 04's I'll sell it to a friend who has a '98, I'll be the guinea pig ; )

well looks like someone has a detroit gearless locker installed on his 06.he is selling the directions to people....said it works great....i am very interested in the directions to see what the cost would be and how much work it is to install.....anyone else hear of someone getting a locker working?

I have talked to that guy on ebay. He does have a baddass Wolfy. From what he says it does work just a couple of minor changes on the installation

atv outfitters is the cheapest so far i have found..... i did find a place on friday asking 259. but they have since changed there web page saying there was a misstake...

i am going to order one... i have all the information if anyone wants in i won't charge ! i will take pictures for the install as well.....the pdf file online is pretty clear and simple to follow as well.

he is nuts if he thinks he is going to get 450....this information will hit all the forums now...... :D

not sure what happned to just helping a fellow atver out !

definetly post that up when you get it. I am interested in putting one in mine(when the credit card recovers from the BBK in mine.)

ctateusa1 said:
definetly post that up when you get it. I am interested in putting one in mine(when the credit card recovers from the BBK in mine.)

has been ordered and shipped, will have it by friday and hope to have it out for a test run this weekend......I am pretty stoked i feel that i am close to having the bike the way it should have been built.....it was short on power and missing the diff lock....as we all know the wolverine is way underated and shocks pretty much everyone i ride with....can not wait to see the difference.....488 kit is next.....pretty tempted to do the crank too...will have to wait and see.

Latest posts

Back