can a camshaft stop atv from working???

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're are just saying you need to check your valves to see if they are damaged, not for clearance. If your cam moved or something while it was rotating then it could have bent or broke a valve. They are saying that the cam is brand new and there is a reason that part at the end broke, and if you replace it without fixing what broke it, the new one will just end up breaking again.

what? as i said before the cam itself is not broke/messed up or whatever!. the only thing broke is tht Lil tiny thing part at the end that sticks out tht the cam gear goes on (wht holds the cam gear in place) but i can still put the cam gear on i just have to hold it in place and tighten the bolt at the same time

so to everybody whos thinking the cam is broke or whatever.. it is Not! its just the lil 1mm thing that holds the gear on

Dude, that 1mm piece you are talking about is the cam. It is a lip machined on the end of the camshaft casting. Any time that bolt and gear come loose while the engine is turning, things make contact. The crankshaft keeps spinning but the cam doesn't and the valves are open the piston hits them.

I don't give a rats ass what you do. Just trying to help you so you don't have problems again. The valves by some odd chance may not be bent, but any time I have ever seen this happen, they are. Almost always the intake but sometimes both. If you put a new cam in and do not check or change the valves you will be in the same boat again. The head needs to come off and be checked. If you don't pull it, then don't come on here whining when it won't run because of no compression!!!

I just need to learn to be like the real gurus on here and walk away from these kinds of posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just need to learn to be like the real gurus on here and walk away from these kinds of posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha. sometimes its hard, you want to keep helping even though its futile because you know he feels frustrated.

Dude, that 1mm piece you are talking about is the cam. It is a lip machined on the end of the camshaft casting. Any time that bolt and gear come loose while the engine is turning, things make contact. The crankshaft keeps spinning but the cam doesn't and the valves are open the piston hits them.

I don't give a rats ass what you do. Just trying to help you so you don't have problems again. The valves by some odd chance may not be bent, but any time I have ever seen this happen, they are. Almost always the intake but sometimes both. If you put a new cam in and do not check or change the valves you will be in the same boat again. The head needs to come off and be checked. If you don't pull it, then don't come on here whining when it won't run because of no compression!!!

understandable. but the thing is the Cam Does spin! with the crankshaft lol if you were here i would say you could come see for urself. everything thats supposed to spin does

Ill bet you'll make it to that stop sign again!!!

pssssssst.........hey.......yea you.....down here.........dont tell anybody i told you....BRING A STRAP THIS TIME !:haha::haha::haha:

what? as i said before the cam itself is not broke/messed up or whatever!. the only thing broke is tht Lil tiny thing part at the end that sticks out tht the cam gear goes on (wht holds the cam gear in place) but i can still put the cam gear on i just have to hold it in place and tighten the bolt at the same time

so to everybody whos thinking the cam is broke or whatever.. it is Not! its just the lil 1mm thing that holds the gear on

basically the keyway right. hey guess what that happened to me also bent both valves and ran me 400 dollars with discount. and hey also guess what i could still tighten everything down and turn everything. we are trying to help not to sit he and make ya run in circles. we are saying check this or check that b/c it may be broken/ bent and it is easier to check while you are there rather then throw it all together and then come back and say wth guys it is still not working.

i hear ya but i need to make one last post lol

This thread title makes me :loco:
right there with ya also makes me :argh:

understandable. but the thing is the Cam Does spin! with the crankshaft lol if you were here i would say you could come see for urself. everything thats supposed to spin does

the cam and everything will still spin unless something locked up. hell you could slap it all together and spin her over also does not mean ya did not bend a valve or two.

Ill bet you'll make it to that stop sign again!!!

pssssssst.........hey.......yea you.....down here.........dont tell anybody i told you....BRING A STRAP THIS TIME !:haha::haha::haha:

:haha:

basically the keyway right. hey guess what that happened to me also bent both valves and ran me 400 dollars with discount. and hey also guess what i could still tighten everything down and turn everything. we are trying to help not to sit he and make ya run in circles. we are saying check this or check that b/c it may be broken/ bent and it is easier to check while you are there rather then throw it all together and then come back and say wth guys it is still not working.

i hear ya but i need to make one last post lol

right there with ya also makes me :argh:

the cam and everything will still spin unless something locked up. hell you could slap it all together and spin her over also does not mean ya did not bend a valve or two.

:haha:

whats with all the answers. and i dont mind help but get a lil pissed off when people commenting telling me stuff i dont need to do, (like at 1st when i 1st signed up to this site ppl were saying i need to replace the starter clutch.. what is $150 for the whole thing), when in fact theres nothing wrong with the starter clutch so buyin tht would have been a waste of the money.

rather ppl look at it in person then taken random guesses over the internet haha,

but to update. i just replace the coil. did the timing Again. nd it still wouldnt start. so i wanted to see if i could push start it as theres a hill outfront, but that didnt work cuz when its in gear and with the clutch pulled in (its hard as hell to push) so im guessing i proly have to replace the clutch pads nd stuff?

but then i sat for a few trying to start it again.. and after awhile it started! with the bike in 1st gear/me holding the front breaks (as it tired to move). so i dnt knw whats up with it. 1min it doesnt start.. next after fukin with the gears it starts

if i didnt lived close to you i would take a look at it. make a video so we can see whats going on

if i didnt lived close to you i would take a look at it. make a video so we can see whats going on

cant now. just took it out drivin up nd down the street nd stuff a few times. gear down nd heard like a loud noise. now it aint starting. (kinda a good thing tho. even tho im pissed).. but the cops jst drove up the road haha so ran with the bike

OK.. so i just took it apart again! and me just tightenin tht gear on proly wasnt the best thing to do. im guessing i shifted down at the wrong rpm, it made the gear lose, broke the lil pin on the camshaft (wht was the only thing holding the gear in place) so when try to start it only the gear spinned.

so as much as i dont wanna spend more money on this. but once my phone cells on ebay im gonna order another camshaft (tht comes with the outer bearing and cam gear), then gonna order a feeler gauge for the valve nd see if i can fine a how to video online

You got more here than a video will teach you right here, a video will help,(theres probably 1 rite here) but the knowledge thats been offered to you here is unprescedented (spelling), you had people trying to tell you what to and not to do but you got hard headed, understandable to a point, but these people are not here to hurt you or make you spend unneccessary money, they will save you greif and aggravation in the end, although it may not seem that way at the moment, we all been there, do yourself a favor and listen and learn, were all in same boat, do it once-do it right! These people are fed up with Mr NO IT ALL and look at you now! Yes there laughing, but they tryed to help you and there tired now so you may be on your own again as far as this forum goes. If you decide to ask for help here.......do us all a favor and START A NEW THREAD!!!!!!!! I dunno thought it would be a good idea guys. well with that said ill rest, just had to get it off my chest....luv me/ hate me.....i dont give a ****:mad:

just had to get it off my chest....luv me/ hate me.....i dont give a ****:mad:

and on this day not a single **** was given lol.

so i want to make sure i have this right before i comment, did you put a new keyway into the cam for the cam gear or did you just tighten dow the cam bolt.

That 1mm thing as you called it is machined there to center and support the gear. It was broken and we tried to warn you and help you. From my chair you are on your own because I will not try to help you ever again.

and on this day not a single **** was given lol.

so i want to make sure i have this right before i comment, did you put a new keyway into the cam for the cam gear or did you just tighten dow the cam bolt.

i dont even know what a keyway is lmao i put it back together the same way i took it off (i didnt add anything), just tightin that bolt on the gear down f-ing tight so the gear woudnt move without turning the cam.

but we learn from are mistakes i guess.. this one is just costing me (well kinda lol the phone im selling on ebay whts at $142 already.. i got for free but had to fix it, the phone will be buying the new cam). and i gotta learn how to not be in a big hurry to go riding and to wait nd do it right so i dont have to keep taken it apart

Back