can a camshaft stop atv from working???

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dillon14dj

Reaction score
i just got done rebuilding my atv. i took it out for the 1st ride yesterday, got down near the trail.. had to gear down for a stop sign. got proly about like 200 feet pass it and the bike just stops running?? (at the same damn place it did before! like wtf i think that roads bad luck), then when i try to start it all it does is spin. i know its not the piston or anything as i just replace all that, and the starter clutch seemed fine.

but after a long 2hr walk home (a few ppl stopped nd was gonna pull me but didnt have a chain), i get home then got to thinking the timing may have jumped? so i took it cover off to fine where the cam gear screws into the camshaft is broke? could that be why it wont start
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxyeAkRl9mQ

i just got done rebuilding my atv. i took it out for the 1st ride yesterday, got down near the trail.. had to gear down for a stop sign. got proly about like 200 feet pass it and the bike just stops running?? (at the same damn place it did before! like wtf i think that roads bad luck), then when i try to start it all it does is spin. i know its not the piston or anything as i just replace all that, and the starter clutch seemed fine.

but after a long 2hr walk home (a few ppl stopped nd was gonna pull me but didnt have a chain), i get home then got to thinking the timing may have jumped? so i took it cover off to fine where the cam gear screws into the camshaft is broke? could that be why it wont start
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxyeAkRl9mQ

I think when any major component of an engine break the engine shouldn't start. The cam works the valves I think. No valves no start. Just spin.

No not if the cam shaft is broken you just need a new cam. Maybe a flywheel. Idk im just giving you some ideas. Go to a mechanic.

No not if the cam shaft is broken you just need a new cam. Maybe a flywheel. Idk im just giving you some ideas. Go to a mechanic.

ya ideas are good.. mechanics aint cheap. but if you seen any of my post from awhile back everythng else seems to be in fine working order as i just rebuilt it

The cam opens the valves, so if you have a broken cam your not gonna be able to start it. If it's a new cam you have to find out why it broke because the next one might do the same thing.

A local guy had the same issue right after a rebuild. Not baggin on you, but he forgot to torque the cam bolt and it did the same exact thing. Ended up ruining the cam, cam gear, and bent the intake valve. I don't know if you replaced the timing chain, but you may want to now either way.

The cam opens the valves, so if you have a broken cam your not gonna be able to start it. If it's a new cam you have to find out why it broke because the next one might do the same thing.

its not the camshaft itself.. its the round part at the end (where the cam gear fits on nd screws into). theres a pic at the end of tht vid

A local guy had the same issue right after a rebuild. Not baggin on you, but he forgot to torque the cam bolt and it did the same exact thing. Ended up ruining the cam, cam gear, and bent the intake valve. I don't know if you replaced the timing chain, but you may want to now either way.

i didnt do anything other then put the piston in. put the head back on then tightin it down

Hmm, well, I just took my piston out & i take the cam gear off to allow the chain to drop down so I can get the head off. I have a feeling something wasn't tight, just like Midway said. Prolly sheared off the lil dowl too right.

everything was tight trust me lol. the only thing that wasnt 100 % tight was the cam gear as i couldnt tighin it all the way as half of the thing on the camshaft is broken

not to be a dick man but you should have replaced that back when you did the rebuild like Gen1Pat told you to do then you wouldn't be in this spot and you'd have made it to the trail and beyond and back home lol

not to be a dick man but you should have replaced that back when you did the rebuild like Gen1Pat told you to do then you wouldn't be in this spot and you'd have made it to the trail and beyond and back home lol

i didnt think it would break more tho lol. but im lookin at sum.. just not sure wht to get. i dnt really wann spend no 200 bucks on this, i found 1 stock one on ebay tht i bidded on (theres 7hrs left) or i could jst buy a stock 1 for 89.. but idk cuz they are stock nd i can get a stage 2 for 140

your choice man just make sure you check your valves out too cause you could have bent the exhaust valve just to be safe

Let me get this straight, it had a problem and you put it together anyway? Not very smart. Look what it will cost now from trying to cut corners. And when this happens it usually bends the intake. If you were up in RPM it may get the exhaust too, but usually just the intake.

its not the camshaft itself.. its the round part at the end (where the cam gear fits on nd screws into). theres a pic at the end of tht vid

That is part of the cam. You will have to replace the cam and probably valves, cam gear, and chain. If the cam had an issue before your "overhaul", you should have replaced it then. I realize paying a mechanic is more costly initially, but it probably would have saved you some time and money in this case.

That is part of the cam. You will have to replace the cam and probably valves, cam gear, and chain. If the cam had an issue before your "overhaul", you should have replaced it then. I realize paying a mechanic is more costly initially, but it probably would have saved you some time and money in this case.

ya its the front part only. there is nothing wrong with the chain/gear or anything else lol

Back