can a camshaft stop atv from working???

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you replace the timing chain before? If not you should replace it this time. Timing chains stretch under normal use, then you have this mishap. You may be doing all this again. I would also replace the cam bolt. There is a reason Web cams sends a new bolt with their camshafts. It had to have stressed that bolt. Blue Loctite is your friend on that bolt as well and the torque is 43 ft/lbs. If you aren't using a torque wrench then you should not complain when things like this happen. Anyway good luck!!

Last edited:
Did you replace the timing chain before? If not you should replace it this time. Timing chains stretch under normal use, then you have this mishap. You may be doing all this again. I would also replace the cam bolt. There is a reason Web cams sends a new bolt with their camshafts. It had to have stressed that bolt. Blue Loctite is your friend on that bolt as well and the torque is 43 ft/lbs. If you aren't using a torque wrench then you should not complain when things like this happen. Anyway good luck!!

i know chains do stretch. but like i have said the chain and everything was tight. thanks for the help tho.

the camshaft i was bidding on i damn lost it by $1!, so later on when the shop opens im gonna go to belleville sport and lawn nd see what they charge for a stage 2/or 3 lol camshaft

This isn't a Warrior cam bearing, but just for reference. See the black part covering the roller part of the bearing? Not the black thing under the bearing on the left. Yours should have that except I think the seal is brown. Probably better find that. I imagine it is down by the flywheel or somewhere in the bottom end of your engine. If that gets wedged in something you will have more problems.

PW-RWB-T04-521_is

This isn't a Warrior cam bearing, but just for reference. See the black part covering the roller part of the bearing? Not the black thing under the bearing on the left. Yours should have that except I think the seal is brown. Probably better find that. I imagine it is down by the flywheel or somewhere in the bottom end of your engine. If that gets wedged in something you will have more problems.

PW-RWB-T04-521_is

these are axle bearings, and no there was never a seal on this. also if you look at my other thread you would see i have already had the thing all apart and the flywheel off to check the starter clutch out, and there was nothing down there

everything was tight trust me lol. the only thing that wasnt 100 % tight was the cam gear as i couldnt tighin it all the way as half of the thing on the camshaft is broken

i didnt think it would break more tho lol. but im lookin at sum.. just not sure wht to get. i dnt really wann spend no 200 bucks on this, i found 1 stock one on ebay tht i bidded on (theres 7hrs left) or i could jst buy a stock 1 for 89.. but idk cuz they are stock nd i can get a stage 2 for 140

not to be another dick but why throw a part that is broken back into a motor. what could have been a 150-200 dollar fix could not be a few hundred if ya ended up bending your valves. my bike jumped timing and bent the valves, all because of a keyway that broke.

ya its the front part only. there is nothing wrong with the chain/gear or anything else lol

i know chains do stretch. but like i have said the chain and everything was tight. thanks for the help tho.

just because the chain is tight does not mean it is still good. it could be at the point where you may not be able to tighten it any more

the camshaft i was bidding on i damn lost it by $1!, so later on when the shop opens im gonna go to belleville sport and lawn nd see what they charge for a stage 2/or 3 lol camshaft

i would check your valves out before i drop money on a new cam. you may end up buying a used head with everything in it in running order if you are on a budget or you may need to drop that money to a shop to do the work, dont know what tools and or skill ya have. just my .02 cents.

UPDATE: soo just went to the shop where i have been going for parts, but yet all this guy could say about the camshaft was go to yamaha!.. what isnt even in the same city as me!! so i guess if i want 1 ill have to order tht stock one thts on ebay for 89

did you drop your bike off to him or did he not even look at it? i would take a look at your valves

Definitely check your valves, and they have stage 1, 2, and 3 cams on eBay. Why don't you just order one from there?

Definitely check your valves, and they have stage 1, 2, and 3 cams on eBay. Why don't you just order one from there?

i knw, ill proly just order the stock one its 89 with the outer bearing and cam gear. less i spend the better as im selling it now as i go for my g2 in 3weeks so need money for a car lol even tho i traded my done up acura integra for this bike (be4 i had to put all this damn money into it)

yea i feeler gauge is a must man, i got one the other day at autozone for $6.

i dont think a feeler gauge will tell ya if the valves are bent though

i dont think a feeler gauge will tell ya if the valves are bent though

I wanted to say that too, but I don't think he is listening to reason at this point. I see another ruined cam and a part out in the future for this poor quad.

I wanted to say that too, but I don't think he is listening to reason at this point. I see another ruined cam and a part out in the future for this poor quad.

what? as i said before the cam itself is not broke/messed up or whatever!. the only thing broke is tht Lil tiny thing part at the end that sticks out tht the cam gear goes on (wht holds the cam gear in place) but i can still put the cam gear on i just have to hold it in place and tighten the bolt at the same time

so to everybody whos thinking the cam is broke or whatever.. it is Not! its just the lil 1mm thing that holds the gear on

Back