379cc Raptor 350 in progress

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure mega makes the cams for cwr. you'd have to be reving the crap out of it to make power and if you don't have a port I don't think you'll be able to take advantage of the flow it has. Idk just been my understanding of what I've been learning about cams

I thought that too but he does them in house, hard welds on stock core and thendoes the grind.
I still don't think that Greg recommended that cam based on what he has I think there was a communication error somewhere. I just spoke with Greg today about some work he will new doing for me and I asked him lots of questions regarding his cams. What he wants that cam run with in an engine doesn't line up at all with what I took from the conversation today.

I thought that too but he does them in house, hard welds on stock core and thendoes the grind.
I still don't think that Greg recommended that cam based on what he has I think there was a communication error somewhere. I just spoke with Greg today about some work he will new doing for me and I asked him lots of questions regarding his cams. What he wants that cam run with in an engine doesn't line up at all with what I took from the conversation today.

You seem skeptical ! Call him and talk to him about Danny from Canada he'll confirm ! I'm not lying and I even asked him. what cam would you recommend with all i,m putting in there... And he said, well you'll be moving lots of soft sand so the .450 Cam would be just right for you and your mods.

^^^After what you told me about him, I agree. But, whatever. My engine runs like a mofo! Lol. ^^^

But, honestly dude, ditch the base basket and run a thinner head gasket from cometic to raise the comp ratio to a decent level. You have a flat top piston, so you don't have to worry about valve to piston interference like you do with a dome piston (but always turn over by hand BEFORE starting!). Mine is a flat top forged piston, and I'm running around .038" of deck height. That is WITHOUT the base gasket, .005" decked off the head, and only an .008"(ish) of a head gasket shim.

IF your deck height (from top of piston to top of cylinder) is close to what mine was (.035 WITHOUT base gasket) then you should be fine to run a similar head gasket thickness as mine.

Matter of fact, you'd be better off calling Cometic, and having them make a custom .005" base gasket out of copper (or whatever they suggest), and have them make a custom copper head gasket at .005" thickness. That way you won't have to worry about the rtv leaking when you leave out the base gasket.

^^^After what you told me about him, I agree. But, whatever. My engine runs like a mofo! Lol. ^^^

But, honestly dude, ditch the base basket and run a thinner head gasket from cometic to raise the comp ratio to a decent level. You have a flat top piston, so you don't have to worry about valve to piston interference like you do with a dome piston (but always turn over by hand BEFORE starting!). Mine is a flat top forged piston, and I'm running around .038" of deck height. That is WITHOUT the base gasket, .005" decked off the head, and only an .008"(ish) of a head gasket shim.

IF your deck height (from top of piston to top of cylinder) is close to what mine was (.035 WITHOUT base gasket) then you should be fine to run a similar head gasket thickness as mine.

Matter of fact, you'd be better off calling Cometic, and having them make a custom .005" base gasket out of copper (or whatever they suggest), and have them make a custom copper head gasket at .005" thickness. That way you won't have to worry about the rtv leaking when you leave out the base gasket.

This is what he wrote down...

Cwr timing card

350 warrior, raptor

valve lift intake .415

valve lift exhaust .395

lobe center 106 in 106.5 ex

duration 246* in 245*ex

valve clearance .006 intake

.006 exhaust

valve lift intake .450

valve lift exhaust .450

lobe center 106 in 106 ex

duration 276* in 276*ex

valve clearance .006 intake

.006 exhaust

Thats a freaking huge cam. If you dont port and change to a fcr or equivalent, thats gonna be a dog. I rode pats, it gets but is no screamer motor! Your not gonna spin that motor fast enough to fully use that cam.

I too would ditch that cast piston for a forged 10.5:1 85mm and run a spacer or bigbear jug. But thats me.

Anybody else see what I see on this card? I see lift specs for two separate cams. The .415 is his all around cam, that cam wouldn't surprise me if he said to use it

Yes I seen it took a double take lol! For sure 2 different specs!

Right, like I said, the .415 would be about right and .415 & .450 sound alot alike when you say it. Either way, if he gave the right info to Greg then I'm sure it'll be ok. Maybe he figured that the engine could rev freer in the sand or something and that's why he said to use a .450 if infact that's what he said. I'm not the Pro but I know that the duration of the .450 requires more compression than 9.2:1 b/c out has so much overlap. Overlap bleeds off compression and at 9.2:1 that leaves very little left for good cylinder psi which is where power comes from.

Right, like I said, the .415 would be about right and .415 & .450 sound alot alike when you say it. Either way, if he gave the right info to Greg then I'm sure it'll be ok. Maybe he figured that the engine could rev freer in the sand or something and that's why he said to use a .450 if infact that's what he said. I'm not the Pro but I know that the duration of the .450 requires more compression than 9.2:1 b/c out has so much overlap. Overlap bleeds off compression and at 9.2:1 that leaves very little left for good cylinder psi which is where power comes from.

Exact trouble I have now with the web .440, not enough dynamic compression

Well I just talked to Greg on the phone, you guys worried the hell out of me...

He said everything will be fine just make sure you rotate the motor by hand to make sure the clearance is ok . Your idle will be ok, just make sure your mechanic knows what he's doing, A +1 vertex cast piston will be just fine, use a 15 tooth sprocket and you will be ok.

Thanks

is this head betting ported?

Should port work be included when installing larger pistons or high lift camshafts? Yes, it is very important to have the cylinder head upgraded as well. Remember the air pump analogy. A one-size larger piston will usually be OK, but anything larger will actually start choking the engine.

I only got a +1 vertex piston no porting is required

Piston size has nothing to really do with a head(s) requiring porting. Porting is almost a necessity when it comes to high lift, long duration cams. The higher the lift and the longer duration, the more air&fuel that is being brought into the engine. If the ports are left stock, it will litterally choke itself. Same goes for exhaust. You now have more exhaust gases because of all the air&fuel entering the cylinder, so the engine has to expell it better/easier. Now... The amount and type of porting done depends on the cam. A stage1 hotcam, and the Web .390 are VERY similar, and are about the only two cams that the stock head can handle. Sure, some power/performance is left on the table WITHOUT porting when using those cams. But, that "left on the table" stuff is minimal.

Like James said, we do not want to make you worrysome. We only want your engine to run at it's peek effecientcy, and peek power. We also don't want to see you doing the work twice. But, if you've been talking to Greg, then cool. The guy does know what he is talking about. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out with the direction you are going. Problem with gearheads, is difference of opinion/experience/expertise...

Back