379cc Raptor 350 in progress

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doobyboy26

Reaction score
Hey guys just to let you know I've begun my 379cc stroker kit. I have never really touched mechanics except the wiring harness so I brought it over to a good friend of mine. This kit will include,

-Hotrods Stroker Crank (+4mm stroke)
-Vertex Piston (+1.00 mm)
-CWR Camshaft .450 lift
-Kibblewhite spring kit
-Main bearings
-All gaskets
-15 tooth front sprocket

I'll do a comparaison video to show how harder it pulls. Thanks !

Hey guys just to let you know I've begun my 379cc stroker kit. I have never really touched mechanics except the wiring harness so I brought it over to a good friend of mine. This kit will include,

-Hotrods Stroker Crank (+4mm stroke)
-Vertex Piston (+1.00 mm)
-CWR Camshaft .450 lift
-Kibblewhite spring kit
-Main bearings
-All gaskets
-15 tooth front sprocket

I'll do a comparaison video to show how harder it pulls. Thanks !
Id get a wiseco piston instead Vertex Wisecos are forged and you will have higher compression!

Last edited:
Get a JE. Don't use that crappy cast Vertex piston. You are just asking for trouble. Go with the JE for a couple reasons: one-it's forged, two-it's higher comp, 3-it's a damn nice piece, 4-with the 85mm you get 388cc. You will have to install a spacer between the bottom end and cylinder to raise the cylinder a little, so the top of the piston does not stick up past the top of the cylinder. Talk to Jasonp about it. He did the 85mm JE 12:1 and got a 3 piece spacer made up from Cometic.

Only reason I didn't go with the JE was because I got a deal (from Jasonp) on a forged stroker piston from CP Pistons. Very hard to get. And even then I had to play with gasket thicknesses to LOWER the cylinder to get the compression ratio I wanted.

So go with the JE. You'll spend more money, yes. But, you'll only spend it once, compared to that shitty cast piston going bad and having to buy another piston. Plus, when those cast pistons go bad, they can grenade and destroy an engine.

Get a JE. Don't use that crappy cast Vertex piston. You are just asking for trouble. Go with the JE for a couple reasons: one-it's forged, two-it's higher comp, 3-it's a damn nice piece, 4-with the 85mm you get 388cc. You will have to install a spacer between the bottom end and cylinder to raise the cylinder a little, so the top of the piston does not stick up past the top of the cylinder. Talk to Jasonp about it. He did the 85mm JE 12:1 and got a 3 piece spacer made up from Cometic.

Only reason I didn't go with the JE was because I got a deal (from Jasonp) on a forged stroker piston from CP Pistons. Very hard to get. And even then I had to play with gasket thicknesses to LOWER the cylinder to get the compression ratio I wanted.

So go with the JE. You'll spend more money, yes. But, you'll only spend it once, compared to that shitty cast piston going bad and having to buy another piston. Plus, when those cast pistons go bad, they can grenade and destroy an engine.

Well I'll give it a shot anyways ! I'll take the risk ! If it shits on me i'll sell it and buy a Raptor 700 or a YFZ 450 ! People told me not to put Kimpex pistons in my sled or I was gonna be sorry! It's been 5 years now and still perfect 130 PSI in both cylinders !

I'll keep you posted !

Vertex piston is only 9.2:1 so it should last but your not going to make anywhere near the power mine or pat's have

And listen, what Bones said about comp ratio is true with that piston. Matter of fact, it really isn't high enought for what that cam needs. If you are dead set on using it, get some custom gaskets from Cometic. Idk what your deck height will be, but, I would THINK that you will have about what I have in deck height. If so, get some thinner gaskets so you can get com up to a decent level.

You need to check out the Hatfield thread in "places to ride" section. Weston has a couple vids up with me infront of him, and I have the drag race up. Have others on my computer, but, need to do it at work to use the DSL.

Ya the mega .450 is a big cam for that comp ratio but its worth a try

Before choosing this cam i've talked to Greg at CWR... Well infact he chose it for me... He asked me what mods I was putting in. He also asked where I was riding. I told him little bit of trail riding and lot's of beach and soft sand. I've got infinite beaches in my area.

He told me that .450 Cam would be just fine for me since i'll be pushing lots of sand and higher lift would be better in my case. He also told me to run a 15 tooth sprocket that this would be perfect and my set-up would be great.

So if a guy that has over 3 decades of working in Quads tells me i'm ok. I'll believe him.

Last edited:
Ya the mega .450 is a big cam for that comp ratio but its worth a try

It's, a CWR, Kyle, it's Greg's custom grind but I've talked to him at length about that cam. With 9.2:1 and that cam he's gonna have a dog. No offense, just being brutally honest. Greg.'s .415 would be a much better choice and I'd atleast eliminate the base gasket to bump compression atleast a little bit.
Just to put things in perspective that cam was designed to run with the 400, 410 &460 kits, the 460 was right around 12.1 if I remember the conversation correctly.

Pretty sure mega makes the cams for cwr. you'd have to be reving the crap out of it to make power and if you don't have a port I don't think you'll be able to take advantage of the flow it has. Idk just been my understanding of what I've been learning about cams

It's, a CWR, Kyle, it's Greg's custom grind but I've talked to him at length about that cam. With 9.2:1 and that cam he's gonna have a dog. No offense, just being brutally honest. Greg.'s .415 would be a much better choice and I'd atleast eliminate the base gasket to bump compression atleast a little bit.
Just to put things in perspective that cam was designed to run with the 400, 410 &460 kits, the 460 was right around 12.1 if I remember the conversation correctly.

I agree thats way to much of a cam for that kinda of set up a .415 would be better even then you need to lose the base gasket.

Well will see if Greg was right ! I'll film it and post it in the Video section when everything is done ! Might not be this week for sure ! I'll be giving updates to keep you guys posted !

Back