Z400 Thoughts?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonS

Reaction score
What do you guys think about Z400's? I am on the market for a new quad and I have come across a good deal on an 06.

I wanna get something more updated than the those high strung Blasters and my dinosaur Warrior. Sold my 06 Blaster 3 weeks ago and my 03 is leaving on Sunday morning. A 450 is not outta the question either, but I'm shopping around at this point. Will never get rid of the Warrior though. :nanner:

I remember that the older ones had the frame issues. They would crack on hard landing and need to be gusseted. They sell kits for that. Don't know if that year was affected by that. I also remember that the chemical reaction between the anitfreeze, aluminum of the engine, and the magnessium of the water pump cover, would make them leak. I forget how they revised that prob. Denniskirk has an impeller available for it that is supposed to move more coolant. Other then that, I have not heard any other bad things about them. They are fast and peppy as hell. Have decent suspension, beat 400ex's, and you can punch them out to 470cc with a hotrods stroker crank, and cylinder works big bore kit for I THINK about $700. Oh, and the 39mm FCR is a commom mod.

Well I'm not a big fan of the newer suzuki frames, but I've never heard anything bad about the 400's.
I guess it all depends on how good of a deal it really is? Most of the time a good deal, is to good to be true. lol

I've seriously thought about getting one. I may still do that once I'm done with done with the stroker and have some more money in my pocket. I've been finding them on CL near me for 1500-1800 WITH mods!!! AND low hours!!!

i love z's. my buddy has a new fuel injection one and holy hell! thing has more power stock than the one i had with the 440 kit.
and the valve problem is that the valve face is to soft but they do good till the first rebuild... then just put a set of kibble white's in or something and your good to go

Last edited:
Can't do wrong with a Z400,.they really are nice machines with great power. with the right tires they're a hoot, I like something that slips and slides around on the Z b/c they are a Lil tippy. The last one I rode had Kenda tires out back and they were a good match for it.

good info guys. I am going to check it out tomorrow morning. I think for 1500 dollars it is a pretty good deal.

IMG955378.jpg

IMG958341.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! You can get some super deals on them now. If I have the money I may get one, we'll see. Have to get the stroker done 1st.

Went and test rode the 400 earlier. I have to say im very impressed with power that it seemed to have. It fit me pretty damn good too. The Sparks pipe sounded friggin' awesome too.

have to mention that it's definitely not as clean as the pics lead me to believe though. crappy front rims, bent tie rod on the right front, couple fasteners missing, and a crappy homemade grab bar.

all in all though it's still worth 1500 of anybodies money. never smoked a bit or anything on fire up, idles nicely, no strange noises, etc.

i will get new sprockets, chain, tie rod sleeve along with new rod ends, oil filters, brake pads and a few other things. going to really think it through though before i jump right on it.

the one i had had the full yoshi system :0 holy Jesus! load as **** and orgasmic on sound. now a will say that ALL carbureted Z's are cold natured as ****!

the one i had had the full yoshi system :0 holy Jesus! load as **** and orgasmic on sound. now a will say that ALL carbureted Z's are cold natured as ****!

yeah i noticed this one was cold natured a little bit too. let the guy warm it up a couple minutes before i rode it. never missed a beat though. the power was right off throttle and smooth. i still gotta think about it hard though. i thought it was a little better shape to be honest, not that it wasn't good shape because it was.

Latest posts

Back