yz 250f or yz 125

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98warrior

Reaction score
Well i've been thinking of buying a dirtbike and probably will next summer but have never really rode dirtbikes before. I dont want a bike that i'll grow out of after a few months so i think i narrowed it down to a yz 125 or maybe a yz 250f. i know both of them run strong or so i've heard but not sure of which would fit me best. what are the pro's and con's of these bikes?

ive only rode a 2004 honda 150cc (4 stroke) but those bikes are full size so you won't grow out of 'em. i know all the pros are going to fourstroke but i know for a fact that the yz 125 ripps!! wish I could ride one, but not going to happen! I would go by price wise, cause i think they all have the same maintenance involved. im not an expert :p so good luck in getting a bike!

both of these bikes are awesome but i would get the 250f. the 125 would need more maintenance because its a 2 stroke. you would have to get it rebuilt at least once a year if you rode it hard. the 250 would be more reliable and easier to to ride due to its broader powerband but its about 650 bucks more than the 125.

I would definately go for the 125. They have about the same maintenance schedule but the 250f is wayyyyyyy more pricey. Every few hours you have to check the valve clearance, they burn a bit of oil, they rev so high and make so much power to compete with 2 strokes they pound top end pretty much into pieces. You can rebuild a top end of a 2 stroke for 150 dollars while a totally new top end on a 4 stroke will cost over a grand. The 4 stroke will need the oil changed more often as well. My friend has a 2004 crf250 and he is selling it to get a 125 because he is afraid it is going to break because of all the horror stories from the new 4 strokes. Theres a crf250 sitting at the shop that i get my 2 smoke oil from. it is only a year old and it is goign to cost $2300 canadian to repair the blown top end. I still believe that you cant beat a good 2 stroke for bang for a buck.

4 stroke is soooo much better on a dirtbike. Way more power. My friend just blew the engine on his 04 kx 125, and in result his dad bought him a brand new 07 kx250f. He said EVERYTHING about this bike was better then his old 125, which had many internal mods and suspension, and they are both generally the same hieght. I say go with the 250

I don't get why people make such a big deal about dirt bikes. I have more fun on pit bikes than I do on full size bikes. Sure, it's fast in a straight line, they just piss me off because in any kind of rough terrain the damn things get stuck in all the ruts, bounce off the rocks, and generally go where they feel like going. Riding shouldn't be that much work just to keep 2 wheels on the ground and moving in the right direction.

get the 4 stroke, i think next year or the next ama is not running 2 strokes anymore, this is the last year honda is making 2 strokes also, my buddy has a 250f and that thing is badass, the 250 froustrokes now a days are producing more power than the 125 2 strokes.

4 stroke is soooo much better on a dirtbike. Way more power. My friend just blew the engine on his 04 kx 125, and in result his dad bought him a brand new 07 kx250f. He said EVERYTHING about this bike was better then his old 125, which had many internal mods and suspension, and they are both generally the same hieght. I say go with the 250

Ha if anything a 2 stroke would be better on a dirtbike... lighter, faster, and more nimble, easier to maintain. less maintence.... all the good points go to the 2 stroke in my book.

I don't get why people make such a big deal about dirt bikes. I have more fun on pit bikes than I do on full size bikes. Sure, it's fast in a straight line, they just piss me off because in any kind of rough terrain the damn things get stuck in all the ruts, bounce off the rocks, and generally go where they feel like going. Riding shouldn't be that much work just to keep 2 wheels on the ground and moving in the right direction.

And my warrior beats the piss out of me compared to a dirtbike..to me its so much harder to work my quad and get it to do what i want compared to a dirtbike.. the truth is a quad will never follow a dirtbike, a dirtbike with the proper intake set up would be able to go through anything a quad could and twice as fast.

[quote:2c74mspq]4 stroke is soooo much better on a dirtbike. Way more power. My friend just blew the engine on his 04 kx 125, and in result his dad bought him a brand new 07 kx250f. He said EVERYTHING about this bike was better then his old 125, which had many internal mods and suspension, and they are both generally the same hieght. I say go with the 250

Ha if anything a 2 stroke would be better on a dirtbike... lighter, faster, and more nimble, easier to maintain. less maintence.... all the good points go to the 2 stroke in my book.[/quote:2c74mspq]
Nah dude, I thought the same, but you would have to ride it to tell the difference.

[quote:eek:r3p5kjc]

Ha if anything a 2 stroke would be better on a dirtbike... lighter, faster, and more nimble, easier to maintain. less maintence.... all the good points go to the 2 stroke in my book.
Nah dude, I thought the same, but you would have to ride it to tell the difference.[/quote:eek:r3p5kjc]
yeah i used to have a yz125 that i thought was the best bike i ever rode but when i got my 250f i never wanted to ride the 125. they are so much better all around bikes. you cant go wrong with either one but i would spend the extra $650 on the 250.

[quote:v1ik1gr3]

Nah dude, I thought the same, but you would have to ride it to tell the difference.[/quote:v1ik1gr3]

I do ride dirtbikes, i ride my dads yz250 on a regular basis

2 strokes are so damn drop dead simple to work on someone who has never seen the inside of a motor could prolly put one together. However the 2 strokes are down on power a little bit, but hey if had 1/2 the cc's id prolly be down on power too, match the yz250f against a yz250 and the story completely changes.

Both are good bikes and both are going to be harder to ride than a trail bike, however due to the ease of maintence id go with the yz125 or just go all out and get the yz250.

acually the 2 stroke is more maintence, you have to mix the gas and oil, and you have to rebuild them fairly often if you ride it hard.

These ultra high strung race oriented 4 strokes have to be rebuilt alot too though. Its not like a warrior motor. A 250 4 stroke will require tons of expensive maintenance.

I'm gonna get a YZ 250F to race. The 2-Stroke's are nice BUT the 4-Stroke's last longer and are winning alot more than 2-Stroke's.

If you haven't noticed, you only see alot more 4-Stroke's in MotoCross because their finding more power and arn't taring up as much. Plus you only see 2-Stroke's in FreeStyle because their lighter and good for 4 short and hard run's befor another rebuild to restore the power.

if the pocket book will allow it i can't see why you wouldnt go up to the 250. sure both have their ups and downs but i think you will be much better off with the four stroke.

if you can handle the bike being heavier then it shouldnt be a close decision. if not maybe the lighter, nimbler deuce stroke will suit you well.

it really just comes down to what you ride. think it through and then see what positives would outweigh your negatives.

acually the 2 stroke is more maintence, you have to mix the gas and oil, and you have to rebuild them fairly often if you ride it hard.

Thats a common misconception. 2 strokes are just as reliable and less maintence if you perform the proper maitenence on them.... They require diffrent work to keep them up and running..

To rebuild them its so simple id say its easier than doing a valve adjustment in frame.

I'd go with the 4 stroke dude, it's nice to just put gas in your bike and go, no premeasurements. Also alot of magazines, and friends I've talked to won't run any type of gas in their 2 strokes unless it race gas, because in essence this will make the motor run cooler, making it last longer. Especially with higher compression pistons. As DSW says you will have to rebuild the 4 strokes too but no were near as fast as a 2 stroke, if you want it in top running condition. Just my 2 cents. Their not just phasing 2 strokes out due to polution, there finding it way better with 4 strokes, and as technology increases, the motors will get even lighter.

If i was getting a dirtbike i'd get a 2 stroke personally. No oil changes (except the transmission every once in a great while), simple and cheap rebuilds, no valvetrain to adjust or maintain, less to go wrong, and more bang for the buck, both in initial price and modifications.

Back