Wont stay running

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minigfather

Reaction score
My 01 Warrior only stays running when choke is pulled out or I stay on the throttle. Hoping to clean the carb and that fixes my problem. Gonna try that 1st.

Its been sitting for prob 2 yrs. Drained the old gas got a new battery and it started up. Any help is appreciated. I looked around here and didnt find anything except for cleaning the carb.

Is there anything else I should do? I dont wanna ruin it in the long run.

Thanks
CHRIS

You should clean out the carb, it probably has some of that residue built up in there. Try to richen the pilot jet first, and if that doesn't start to make it better than clean the carb and jet the whole thing accordingly.

Always use stabilizer or drain all the gas out of the system if you store it that long, it really makes a mess. I've never seen it on a quad, but mowers get real nasty when stored that long with gas in them.

Thanks...ill try the stuff you mentioned. I didnt plan on it sitting that long and then I moved about 40 min away and it stayed at my mom and dads. Then everytime I went up there just had other stuff to do.

So can you put like STP carb cleaner in the gas tank like you do on a car?? Will that do anything or is it a bad idea?

I wouldn't advise you to try any of those additives. I've only read about and heard horror stories. Just take the carb off.....Clean it manually, check the jets and re install, I bet it will be running fine for you then. Its a short easy process. And Actually, not to long ago I posted a "Carb cleaning 101" topic, It covers the whole process in depth.

Thanks yeah i wasnt too sure about the additives. I just read the carb 101. So ill have to check it out as soon as I can.

When I take the bowl off is there a gasket I will need to get when I put it back on or any gaskets I need to get for the carb at all?

You shouldn't need to replace any gaskets unless you find any that are damaged when you take it part. It's mostly rubber o-ring type gaskets so unless they dry out or crack they shouldn't need replaced.

Make sure you don't lose any of the pieces and remember how they install. There is a bunch of small parts in there, but like he said it isn't that difficult and it may only take a couple of hours at most, probably less if you just clean it. It should go smooth for you unless you're wasted!!! :p

Hell, I've cleaned carbs drunk before... Tho I will admitt you have to be extra careful and not let your equally as drunk buddies distract you:)

Good point, my one friend is a humble drinker but he always has to fiddle with **** and annoy you. When I first got the edelbrock I was up in the u.p. in 50 mph winds and rain while getting it tuned lmao. We couldn't get a fire going besides in this cast iron igloo shaped thing we found.

one thing use the proper size screw drivers and can explain how soft and malleable he brass is!!! make sure they fit the slots snug

Thanks guys for all your input. Since cleaning the carb I can almost run the quad with the choke all the way in. I have to pull it out about an 1/8th of an inch so it will idle. Other than that it just shuts off. I ordered a carb rebuild kit and am gonna try to rebuild it this weekend. I gotta pick up a clymer manual too.

Resort to the free copies of the manual on this site or another that are the yamaha book, they both have their benefits. The best steps to build the head I know are in the yamaha manual, the clymer doesn't say to use moly assembly lube on half of the things you should I know. Just an example, so it pays to look at both.

im sure it pays to look at both but if your going to look at just one make it the yamaha... those clymer ones suck IMO... they have you flipping back and forth constantly referring to tables... yamaha puts it all right there with no ******* around

Only good thing about the clymer manual is that it tells you how to make your own special tools for jobs if you can't flip the bill for/can't find the yama tools.

Clymer is the ****....the warrior bible as I call it. Best thing I did with that is made tabs outta tape for each of the tables on the pages and labeled them. Quick and easy.

If you want the yamaha service manual send me a PM, I have a copy of it uploaded on a server and can send you the link to it.

Latest posts

Back