What did you do to your quad today?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I didn't do anything to the quad itself today. But I did finally find my 2nd gen 490 jug, head, and intake. :D
I've wanted this stuff since I put this quad together.
The 7 bolt head, the centered exhuast port, and way bigger reed cage should turn this motor from a beast into a full blown, hair raise'n monster!!

I can use a better expansion chamber design now.
Like a TRX11 maybe? http://stores.wildcardracingparts.com/-strse-1094/ESR-TRX11-Pipe-/Detail.bok

Those pipes even look evil. lol

Last edited:
my clutch is really hard to pull as well ... pretty sure i need a new cable .... but i'll wait till i can get the rappy set up after x-mas hopefully

I just got my new Driveline clutches in the mail and my clutch handle is super hard to pull so first ill do the clutches to see how it feels and then ill do the clutch, my coworker just got a used 2003 that looks like new and all original and his clutch pulls rather easy so im hopeing i can just get a new cable for mine..

I put my skid plate on today, just sucks I had to take my nerf bars off for it to fit :/
yby8ury4.jpg
Just flair them out a bit with the a lug wrench. Worked for me.

Well I didn't do anything to the quad itself today. But I did finally find my 2nd gen 490 jug, head, and intake. :D
I've wanted this stuff since I put this quad together.
The 7 bolt head, the centered exhuast port, and way bigger reed cage should turn this motor from a beast into a full blown, hair raise'n monster!!

I can use a better expansion chamber design now.
Like a TRX11 maybe? http://stores.wildcardracingparts.com/-strse-1094/ESR-TRX11-Pipe-/Detail.bok

Those pipes even look evil. lol

Now once you get it back together i want to see a couple videos of it in action. Id love to see how the performance would compare to mine. Yours being MUCH lighter and with the old school snap of a 50hp Yamaha 2 stroke. Mine having more power but an extra 100+ lbs of weight to move. It would be best to go for a ride where we would see a bunch of Renegades, Raptors and Banshee's just to see the looks on guys faces, two old Warriors doing wheelies at 80mph.

Only about 3500km between our homes so I don't think we'll be bumping into each other on the trail.

Look up "hydroforming 2 stroke exhaust" you may be able to use some of those methods to adapt another pipe or build one to fit your frame/engine combo. It looks simple enough, you'll just need to spend some time with the mig, calculator, and snips getting the shape right. Transforming sheet-metal into a shaped exhaust using a pressure washer, who'd have thought.

I made this, attaches a puller SPAL fan under the oil cooler. I also took the edge of a flap wheel to my pointer kunckle.....down to the bone. Eeeewwwhhhhh. Hurts and looks gross. Damn power tools vs. skin. When will I learn........

2012-12-16_14-00-26_381_zps10af29d7.jpg

lol i wanna see pics of the demolished finger Dead

Hah, I just pulled the bandages off and its not so bad right now. I was in the midst of finishing up and of course it happens towards the end of me using the tool, go figure. Well, I go to set it down and my knuckle helped stop it.....uh oh I say and my brothers like, oh god, what. I show him my knuckle bone and he's grossed out. I go inside and do my best to pick the gunk out of it, slap on a band-aid and some tape.....back to work. Got home and finally really cleaned it out with some peroxide and neosporin, It still needs some of the flap gunk picked out, I prob should of had a stitch or two put in. Oh well, its starting to heal back together. When it was fresh it was a wide, open cut, all the way down. Warriors are worth blood sweat and tears.
2012-12-17_00-08-18_271_zps60584660.jpg

2012-12-17_00-08-24_951_zps0eda1fed.jpg

Now once you get it back together i want to see a couple videos of it in action. Id love to see how the performance would compare to mine. Yours being MUCH lighter and with the old school snap of a 50hp Yamaha 2 stroke. Mine having more power but an extra 100+ lbs of weight to move. It would be best to go for a ride where we would see a bunch of Renegades, Raptors and Banshee's just to see the looks on guys faces, two old Warriors doing wheelies at 80mph.

Only about 3500km between our homes so I don't think we'll be bumping into each other on the trail.

Look up "hydroforming 2 stroke exhaust" you may be able to use some of those methods to adapt another pipe or build one to fit your frame/engine combo. It looks simple enough, you'll just need to spend some time with the mig, calculator, and snips getting the shape right. Transforming sheet-metal into a shaped exhaust using a pressure washer, who'd have thought.
Yah I have the old girl tore apart right now.
I dunno if I'm gonna rebuild the motor just yet... That motor only has 3 runs on it from a complete rebuild.
But I have a few things to do to my frame before I ride it again, and I think I might build my own swingarm. (Just to see what I can come up with?)

Also I have a bit of an ace up my sleeve with the 2nd gen 490 topend. I know how I can make over 65hp on 110 race fuel with that setup. :evilface:

As for hydroforming... I'm not that big of a fan. Theres just to many variances, and imperfections in a free hydroformed pipe.
Their ok for smaller motors. But on these big bitches it's better to just cut cones, and weld em' together.
The 250r pipes are working good for me so far. I think I'll just stick with them for now.

As for pull'n the front tires at 80mph.. I don't have the bottom end for the gearing it would take to do that.
If I gear it at 15/38, I'll still only wind out at 95mph.. I'd personally be scared to ride a quad at that speed.

So I'll stick to the 14/38 setup.
Calculated:
Primary: 2.625
Front sprocket: 14
Rear sprocket: 38
Rear tire dia: 20
RPM: 8500

Gearing= Speed (mph)
1: 2.666= 26.6
2: 1.750= 40.5
3: 1.315= 53.9
4: 1.000= 70.9
5: 0.785= 90.4

Thats plenty fast enuf for this guy. :iagree:

Going faster then 80mph on a quad is not for everyone, mine feels quite stable at hight speed probably due to the extra weight.

I see your gearing being a limiting factor, you have to chose your sprockets for the type of riding your doing. For some reason I was thinking it would rev more then 8500, but it's one big piston, a two stroke thumper. We all know these bikes are just as much fun at 15mph in a trail as they are on a road at 70mph. I have much lower gearing then you (12-45) but because mine is happy from 1500 to 15000 every gear has a super wide speed range. 2nd gear is good from 10-40mph.

I look forward to seeing yours in action, order up the parts and get that swinger made!!

74EB67C7-7600-4C05-BA7B-DF61338FBAE6-8435-0000049D1C120BB4_zps190d39c6.jpg

Pulled the cam out of my old head and found the hot cams one on the left!!!!
This has to be my lucky day!!
Scored some works for the front and found something I didn't know I had.
So far this engine was .050" over, hot cam, aftermarket rod.

74EB67C7-7600-4C05-BA7B-DF61338FBAE6-8435-0000049D1C120BB4_zps190d39c6.jpg

Pulled the cam out of my old head and found the hot cams one on the left!!!!
This has to be my lucky day!!
Scored some works for the front and found something I didn't know I had.
So far this engine was .050" over, hot cam, aftermarket rod.

ya and hopefully here soon mine will be .50 over with a hot cam to!! hahaha

Latest posts

Back