What did you do to your quad today?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The a/f screw and the needle control different throttle ranges. The screw won't compensate for the needle setting. Also, raising the needle makes it richer not leaner.

Last edited:
Ok i know nothing about how to tune a carb without changing jets. Thats why my pit bike with a 125cc motor and a 15mm carb ran extremely well for being way under- carb'd when the motor calls for a 22mm carb.

Mixture screw and needle are two different circuits.
The mixture screw adjusts the fuel/air through the pilot.
The needle adjusts the amount of fuel that flows through the main jet.
Which are circuits that effect two different throttle ranges.
But hell I'm sure you already know this.
Just run it, who cares!

Please explain how I am incorrect. I raised the needle (to richen) because of it running lean.

That's not what you said. You said you turned the a/f screw out (which makes it richer) to compensate for raising the needle (which also makes it richer) so that it wouldn't run lean from raising the needle. Which as I and Sparky both explained are two different circuits.

Last edited:
I know exactly what i did. My reason for raising the needle and turning the a/f screw out is to richen everything evenly. Why would you just adjust one and not the other?? Maybe your quads run differently in the mountains than my desert terrain. I have always adjusted carbs this way and they have always performed better than stock settings or just adjusting one and not both.

Yes they control two different functions and there for I am getting the most out of what I have by adjusting everything without re-jetting.

Spent about 10 hours on the trails today. Got to fix the clutch cover leak tomorrow.
313870_10151503684708748_1628100700_n.jpg

Rode #5 for the last time on trails till May
And the connecting rod bearing finally gave way on the boys 01 motor that we just replaced the jug and piston on3 days ago!

IMG-20130310-WA0013.jpg

Oh and on my own stuff got the Yoshi mounting figured out and stuff bought to mod it. Have to lengthen the mid pipe about 3" for it to clear everything and make a bracket for mounting the silencer. Probably being doing the welding tomorrow at work with the Lincoln MIG welder, so I can make sure its a good penetrating weld and semi smooth. Some times my little flux core welder just dont cut it when I want something to look pretty!!! LOL

Well that sucks Ed. Guess you better hurry up getting your 357 together, so you got two running quads!!

Just need head gasket clutch cover gasket and stator side gasket and the 357 will be done and ready for #5 and be 5% away from going up for ELITE status!

Back