Warrior sputtering when holding throttle in one position?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarriorPride87

Reaction score
My warrior has been sputtering when holding the throttle in one position going at at a constant speed I've done a complete carb rebuild so its not gumed up. Any ideas how to fix this?

sounds to me something to do with the pilot jet or maybe even spark plug? it depends on throttle position and how high in rpms your going?

it wouldnt be the float all the float does is regulate how much fuel goes into the bowl.

it sounds like more of a spark problem to me. i would change the plug and go from there.

def check your plug...then the carb might need a fine tuning. one little grit of sand could mess everything up. might wanna take the carb off and clean everything ...start with the basics

Change the plug for good measure. Inspect/clean the air filter. Sounds like you could have a rich condition. What mods do you have? What does the plug look like when yuou pull it out? Should look like a brown paper bag. If it is white(ish) or "ghosty", it's running lean (atleast at idle). If it is black, it is running rich.

Have you messed with the jet needle position? The clip should be on the middle (3rd) notch. Lowering the clip raises the needle, which makes it run rich. Raising the clip, lowers the needle, making it run lean. The needle is for anything over idle, to roughly 7/8 throttle position. If you are having an issue at 1/4 throttle, you are running primarily off the needle (mid-range circuit). If everything else checks out good, adjust the needle's height. It sounds like a rich condition, so I would lower the needle (raise the clip) one notch and see how it goes.

Something else you should do; plug chop. Ride the bike while it is acting up. While riding & acting up, pull in the clutch and shut off the engine at the same time. Come to a stop, remove the plug, and see how well the air/fuel is buring. If it is anything other then brown paper bag, adjust the needle accordingly.

I adjusted the needle down and it's still doing it now I'm getting more backfire out my exhaust

Then try raising it a notch past what it was at. Can't really hurt anything. What was the condition of the plug? BTW, what year warrior are we talking about?

Which reminds me, and cannot believe I forgot it since I'm always bringing it up. There are two o-rings around the jet tube. You have to remove the tube to get to them. They are a square edge type, and when they go bad, they will do this to the bike. You have to remove the two tamper proof torx screws holding the jet tube insert (Y shaped once removed). You need to take the top cover off the carb to get to those screws. You have to take the bowl off, remove the float, and press down squarely on the main jet. Just hold the carb in your hands, and place the main jet on a table or work bench when you do it. DO NOT try to pull the insert out from the top with pliers. It WILL break, trust me.

Which reminds me, and cannot believe I forgot it since I'm always bringing it up. There are two o-rings around the jet tube. You have to remove the tube to get to them. They are a square edge type, and when they go bad, they will do this to the bike. You have to remove the two tamper proof torx screws holding the jet tube insert (Y shaped once removed). You need to take the top cover off the carb to get to those screws. You have to take the bowl off, remove the float, and press down squarely on the main jet. Just hold the carb in your hands, and place the main jet on a table or work bench when you do it. DO NOT try to pull the insert out from the top with pliers. It WILL break, trust me.

Does some one have any pics of this?

Back