warrior motor swaps

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks man, Just get ya some 1/8" tape to tape off the cut and cut away. I use tip snips myself. clean the edges up with fine sand paper and it'll look great

Did you see my plastics?
Quad22.jpg

I used a carbide cutting wheel on a dremle to cut them out. Then finished the edges with 120 grit discs on a orbital sander.

nope they discontinued them for australia along with the blaster it had somethin to do with polution and the greenies winging im pretty sure and the noise

If your going to swap engines, GO BIG!! Depending on the type of riding you do any high output liquid cooled engine that you can stuff in the frame should work out. I put a 2001 Yamaha R6 engine in mine. It makes about 100hp and 55lb/ft. I have it geared really low (12-48) because I only use it for trail riding. it will go as slow as a stock YFM in first at idle and tops out just above 100mph. I've never had any trouble keeping it cool, mine has the stock R6 rad and fan mounted right in front of the engine but above the 4 exhaust pipes. When riding in tight trails at 25*C the temp will get up to 106*C but cools quickly once your up and moving in 3-4 gear.

This much power is not for everyone but it sure is a lot of fun.
http://youtu.be/tvfmMDR2Nsg

I've been busy with work and boating for most of the summer but today I decided to take the old Warrior out for a tour. Around here the farmers are just harvesting their soy beans and those smooth fields looked too good to pass up. As you can see my bike doesn't have any trouble lifting the front tires up to about 50mph. Today I found out that it will wheelie in 5th gear at about 80mph. I was ripping across a field and went over a slight bump, pulled it up and it stayed up for 4-5 seconds. I went strait home to see how bad of a mess i mad in my shorts.

I like to find an older 660 raptor so I can build an even quicker quad. I have a crashed 2009 fuel injected R1 ready to chop up. 150hp... :atv:

http://youtu.be/Pi8HEZgGXRg

If your going to swap engines, GO BIG!! Depending on the type of riding you do any high output liquid cooled engine that you can stuff in the frame should work out. I put a 2001 Yamaha R6 engine in mine. It makes about 100hp and 55lb/ft. I have it geared really low (12-48) because I only use it for trail riding. it will go as slow as a stock YFM in first at idle and tops out just above 100mph. I've never had any trouble keeping it cool, mine has the stock R6 rad and fan mounted right in front of the engine but above the 4 exhaust pipes. When riding in tight trails at 25*C the temp will get up to 106*C but cools quickly once your up and moving in 3-4 gear.

This much power is not for everyone but it sure is a lot of fun.
http://youtu.be/tvfmMDR2Nsg

Hey lets see some pictures!

Well I know one thing from personal experience.. Well maybe 2 things.
First the stock frame on a warrior is "not" strong enuf to hold more than 40hp. The swinger, and carrier will also fold under pressure.

Second, nothing has a better power to weight ratio than a well built 2 stroke. Like the 490... It's 60lbs lighter, and makes twice the power than the stock motor. (just no reverse)

IMO it's better to cut weight from these quads, than just add power.
Also if your doing a 100mph on a warrior. Your gonna die!! lol

well at the moment ill be ok with the stock motor but if there is anything i can do to the motor other than a bore kit (Already got 1)that will scare the **** ou tof anyone who rides it

Ideally I'd have 3-4 quads in my garage to satisfy all of the fun types of riding. I think most of us are the same in that regard. I built mine to be ridiculously over powered because I had the wrecked R6 and needed a winter project. Doing any kind of engine swap on a quad is a ton of work. These bikes are some of the most reliable fun to ride trail quads ever built. Any engine you put in place of the stock 4 stroke 350 is going to comprise the original capability.

Mine is HEAVY, maybe 60-70 pounds over stock. Crazy fast and much more demanding to ride then stock. I find it taxing to ride for more then a couple of hours at a time. But it's very docile if kept below 6000rpm (probably less power then stock). The R6 bike had to be easy to control in traffic. I think the 490 2 stroke may be just as intense do to the light weight and "light switch" power band of the engine. I sure would love to trade bikes for a few min out on the trail just to see what it's like.

If any of you guys ever want to try out my ugly old hotrod I'd be happy to let you take it out. If I hold the keys to your car until its back safe and sound.

Last edited:
Ideally I'd have 3-4 quads in my garage to satisfy all of the fun types of riding. I think most of us are the same in that regard. I built mine to be ridiculously over powered because I had the wrecked R6 and needed a winter project. Doing any kind of engine swap on a quad is a ton of work. These bikes are some of the most reliable fun to ride trail quads ever built. Any engine you put in place of the stock 4 stroke 350 is going to comprise the original capability.

Mine is HEAVY, maybe 60-70 pounds over stock. Crazy fast and much more demanding to ride then stock. I find it taxing to ride for more then a couple of hours at a time. But it's very docile if kept below 6000rpm (probably less power then stock). The R6 bike had to be easy to control in traffic. I think the 490 2 stroke may be just as intense do to the light weight and "light switch" power band of the engine. I sure would love to trade bikes for a few min out on the trail just to see what it's like.

If any of you guys ever want to try out my ugly old hotrod I'd be happy to let you take it out. If I hold the keys to your car until its back safe and sound.
I like the 3 or 4 quads comment. I have a Scrambler 400 4x4, and the Warrior 490 to play with. But I would like another quad to rip the trails with.

The powerband on the 490 is fun, and it rips. But it's really unpredictable... It makes it a handful to ride, and riding it on the trails would be tuff.
The cool thing about the 490 swap was the fact that I didn't have to modify the frame in any way. I just welded in new mounts...
I did have to modify the swingarm though. I also beefed up the frame a bit to try and keep it from twisting.
The point of my previous comment was that a bigger 4 lunger would probably pretzel a stock frame without some serious support, and the extra weight would make the handling unpredictable...

Latest posts

Back