warrior motor swaps

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailhound

Reaction score
does anyone know what mods would have to be done to fit a banshee motor into a 94 warrior i love the sound of 2 strokes and want more power at my finger tips

cheers trailhound

well i have thought about donig what mathius did but after a few looks the frame it looks the same as the warrior with the exception of the radiator so with a few mods on the engine mounts it should just slip on in im not too sure on this but just asking your oppinions

where abouts do i look for a 2 stroke engine

cheers trailhound

well i have thought about donig what mathius did but after a few looks the frame it looks the same as the warrior with the exception of the radiator so with a few mods on the engine mounts it should just slip on in im not too sure on this but just asking your oppinions

where abouts do i look for a 2 stroke engine

cheers trailhound
Well first off.. The Warrior, and Banshee frames are quite a bit different! The look like their close to the same, but their not..
If you want a 350, 2 lunger. I say flip the bucks, and buy a Banshee.. lol
I also wouldn't do the 490 swap if you do a lot of trail riding, it's not a very practical swap for that. They run hot at slower speeds, and the 6 volt lighting sucks!

If you wanna simple 2 stroke swap into a warrior frame look for an air cooled motor. There just isn't much real estate to mount a rad on these quads. But it has been done before.... Go with something bigger than 300cc. I would also strive not to bastardize it with some other make of motor.
Try to keep it a Yamaha.
It makes it so much cooler. :iagree:

I agree completely lol
I had a chat with someone on here that was thinking of swapping a TY350 motor into a 1st gen chassis.. That would be cool, cause it would still be a 350 Warrior. :tup:
An old DT360, or 400 motor would be a cool one to use as well. They should also be easy to find, if you know where to look.
They were built for trails, and make decent power. The DT400 makes 23hp. But with a good pipe, and some decent reeds I think it would hit 30hp easy.

i was also thinking about a cr500 dirtbike motor that would make her scream
what do u reckon

I'd keep the 350x engine over the 450r. But that's just me. Powroll still has a 393 big bore kit and and stroker kit for it. I was looking for a 350x when I bought the warrior. Still would like to find one.

i was also thinking about a cr500 dirtbike motor that would make her scream
what do u reckon
Again it's a liquid cooled motor, and I hate to say it.. But the warrior chassis just isn't modern enuf to swap a badass motor like that into. :tdown:

If you really wanted to drop a cr500 into something, and make it badass!! You want a lighter more modern chassis..
Like a KTM450, YFZ, or a TRX450 chassis. Heck even a 400ex chassis would be a cheaper more modern alternative.

Don't get me wrong though, we all love the YFM platform on this site. Their probably the best "trail" quad ever built. But their not designed to rip a killer liquid cooled 2 stroke that can make 80hp, and push you to 100mph!!

My 490 swap is cool and all, but it only makes 40hp... That power has already folded the stock swinger in half! Who knows what else would give out? I have to dump at least another $1500 into it before I can actually ride it reliably.. You could build a better quad for the money it'll cost to fix all the stuff you break with any motor over 35hp..
That's just my opinion though.

Last edited:
And about the only thing a cr500 powered anything will be good for is the dunes. Since you're in Austrailia, you must ride them a good bit.

can you recomend a motor thats really zappy or something i can do to my stock motor to make it more zappy ive already got a 366 big bore in it and want some more zap

cheers trailhound

And about the only thing a cr500 powered anything will be good for is the dunes. Since you're in Austrailia, you must ride them a good bit.
I never noticed he was from Australia.. They must have a bunch of older 465's around there?
If you were really interested in doing a swap like mine, I would strongly suggest the 465 over the 490!
The 465 has a better port, and head design than the 490 (and a tighter squish). This helps it run cooler, which makes it a better trail engine. It also has a more predictable powerband.

I had a chat with someone on here that was thinking of swapping a TY350 motor into a 1st gen chassis.. That would be cool, cause it would still be a 350 Warrior. :tup:
An old DT360, or 400 motor would be a cool one to use as well. They should also be easy to find, if you know where to look.
They were built for trails, and make decent power. The DT400 makes 23hp. But with a good pipe, and some decent reeds I think it would hit 30hp easy.

going to look it over Tuesday !!!

ok now can you guys give me some tips on how to cut my plastics i want the most aerodynamic shape i was thinking of getting raptor 350 plastics and modding them to fit but they are like 1000 buck australian i like the look of them aswell so if you can help me get the look i want ill deffs do it

cheers trail hound

Last edited:
ok now can you guys give me some tips on how to cut my plastics i want the most aerodynamic shape i was thinking of getting raptor 350 plastics and modding them to fit but they are like 1000 buck australian i like the look of them aswell so if you can help me get the look i want ill deffs do it

cheers trail hound

Have you ever checked out Maier plastics?
They make a raptor style plastic kit.
http://www.maier-mfg.com/catalog/atv/yamaha/yfm350-warrior-0

It might be a bit cheaper than a $1000 bucks? lol

Back