warrior doesnt wanna start??

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dillon14dj

Reaction score
i know i made a thing on here before about my camshaft but would like to put that in the pass.

my bike doesnt wanna start now Again!. its been sittin for like 2 weeks now. i just got my new camshaft today. (so now the bike has a new piston/rings, new gaskets, new coil, new sparkplug, and the new camshaft/camgear).

i just put the new camshaft in and i lined up the 't' and the arrow on the camgear up with the thing on the top. (so the timing should be fine). but when i try to start it all it does is make a loud bang from the muffler (what sounds like a gun shot). i have been playing around with the screw on the carb and that doesnt seem to help any either. so im not sure what to do?? i undid that lil cap on the left side when i tried to start it and the flywheel turns left (to the front of the bike)

Bent valve. You got lucky the first time, but not this time. Do a compression check and that should confirm it.

sounds like you bent a valve when your cam broke

how would i check the valve?? the last time it was working (i had my lil brother on the bike with me) so wasnt going fast and when i was about to gear down it made a pretty loud sound (but i was thinking it was just the end part of the cam that broke off that it went down into the flywheel gears?.

im not sure if this helps but i try push starting it (even tho its hard to push) but theres a lil hill here.. anyways it sounds like it wants to start that way but i dont get it going fast enough. also a person on facebook said that i should play around with the timing?

i did what the other person said and redid the time so it was a lil before the mark at the top. and it didnt work so i lined them back up again. could the valves just need to be set? how ever you do that (i know you have to undo the nut at the top but thats about it?). as this camshaft is a lil bigger (its for a 2003 warrior) mines a 2000

One or both of the valves are bent. I don't think there is any difference between a 2000 and a 2003 camshaft. Check the compression then get ready to pull the head.

go and rent a compression gauge at autozone. Its $40, and when you take it back you get your $40 back. so its a win...win. Im not sure how much compression the warrior should have but im sure someone on here will comment and tell you after they read this post.

Generally speaking, for most all 4 stroke engines 120psi is the lowest "good" compression numbers. That being said, if there is a bent valve, compression will be much lower than that.

Oh, I wasn't rebutting your statement. You got the post in before I did, lol. I can't remember what the book says.

I checked both of mine earlier just for the hell of it. Its funny, the Warrior with a fresh set of rings and an Arias 10.25:1 piston shows 165PSI cold with throttle wide open. The Raptor 350 that supposedly has never been apart and has some hours on it comes up at 160PSI cold with throttle wide open.

barely 12 hrs and we be on page 2 !!!!! without any pics:haha: Dillion im just ****** with ya, your gonna get it this time, just listen..........

go and rent a compression gauge at autozone. Its $40, and when you take it back you get your $40 back. so its a win...win. Im not sure how much compression the warrior should have but im sure someone on here will comment and tell you after they read this post.

alright ill see about getting a compression tester. Butt i believe it wont do nothing. as it still only just spins when i try starting? its when i try giving it gas thats when it goes Bang! (unless if i unscrew the screw on the carb then it doesnt do anything.. just spins

barely 12 hrs and we be on page 2 !!!!! without any pics:haha: Dillion im just ****** with ya, your gonna get it this time, just listen..........

ah. i forgot to say that its still only spins when i try starting. it back fires when i give it gas. and ill see about taken a video. but where i live if people hear a loud bang at 9am they will proly call the cops as i live in the middle of the city

is there a Thin chance it could be the starter going backwards? cuz the starters are supposed to turn left right? then wouldnt that mean the flywheel should turn right? and not left

Latest posts

Back