Twist Throttles

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meathead

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide to go with a twist or not. My entire hand goes numb to the point of having no feeling with a thumb throttle. Are twist throttles really so bad? I'm completely new to quadding.

Try adjusting the thumb throttle at a different angle. It may make it easier on the thumb/hand.

As for the twist throttle, I wouldn't really want one for riding trails. With the twist throttle, you will have to worry about holding on while you still have to worry about not giving to much throttle or sudden throttle movements. But, like dave said, mostly preferance. It's just something else you have to practice so you can ride safely.

just a thought, your grip is stronger with your thumb being completely around the throttle, rather than hanging off on the the thumb throttle, in case you get bucked twist grips may rev but you may have better chance on hangin on

I'm a huge fan/user of the twist throttle. I grew up on bikes, so it's just feels more natural. I have a twister on my warrior, my big red trike, and i even put one on my old Enticer snowmachine. One is not better than the other, it's like Dave said: it's a matter of preference. But i can tell you when i turn hard right, i don't have to switch from an overgrip to an under grip to stab the thumb throttle.

I also prefer my twist over the thumb. Twist is amazing and so much safer in my opinion. Then again you have to learn how to ride with it. And always keep a tight grip, trust me if you start getting pulled off the back of the machine with a lose grip you wont be able to let go of the throttle, therefore, full speed ahead.

Thanks for the advice, think I'll try the twist and can switch back if I survive. Going this weekend though, so will try to adjust the angle first.

OK, tried changing the angle of my thumb throttle and that helped quite a bit. Still think I'll try the twist though. thanks for replies.

I have a twist throttle on my bike as it was converted for the carb kit.. personally I hate it. It is so unsafe and it's a hell of a lot harder to control the bike.

i hated thumnb because of the random bumps and ruts in trails.... i foundm myself hitting the gas way more than i wanted to it certain spots.. not to mention the many times i sprained my thumb. I did grow up riding dirtbikes though.. so i just love my twist now that im used to it again.

my phiosiphy is that if you want a twist throttle go buy a dirtbike, they dont belong on quads and i think they are gay but like others said its parsonal preference, but seriously if you want a twist throttle go buy a dirtbike

^^How old are you again? That is the most assinine thing I think i've ever heard you say on these boards. You're usually pretty knowlegeable......

Please go tell Kory Ellis that he is gay. Then post up the pics after he twists your scrawy neck.

If you're gonna use big words learn to spell... "Philosophy"

i used to ride bikes and whne i first got my quad i absolutely hated the thumb throttle....but after a few rides i got use to it....the only thing holding me back from buying a twist for teh raptor is i have heard a lot of stories and dont feel like spedning the cash if i find out i have 1. lost the touch of a twist 2. dont like it on a quad...

my phiosiphy is that if you want a twist throttle go buy a dirtbike, they dont belong on quads and i think they are gay but like others said its parsonal preference, but seriously if you want a twist throttle go buy a dirtbike

What about if you want a twist throttle but dont want a dirtbike?

^^How old are you again? That is the most assinine thing I think i've ever heard you say on these boards. You're usually pretty knowlegeable......

Please go tell Kory Ellis that he is gay. Then post up the pics after he twists your scrawy neck.

If you're gonna use big words learn to spell... "Philosophy"

hahaha

my R has a twist on it and i like it. i ride quads and bikes and it doesnt really matter to me what kind of throttle they have, just as long as its ridable.

now think about this, atvs were originated with thumb throttles, dirtbikes originated with twist throttles, some people like twist on atvs, but now imagine thumb on a dirtbike...lol

now think about this, atvs were originated with thumb throttles, dirtbikes originated with twist throttles, some people like twist on atvs, but now imagine thumb on a dirtbike...lol

I've seen it done... its all in what you like. But for aggresive riding the thumb throttle just didnt work for me. I found myself moving my arm around more than actually concentrating on what i was doing. But thats only me

I think I already know the answer to this, but I wanted to make sure. When I bought my quad it had the Edelbrock with the thumb throttle. The only way to go to a twist throttle is to get the twist throttle Edelbrock carb right? There is no way to convert it I don't think, but I figured I would ask. I am not sure if I even want to do it, but I was curious.

I think I already know the answer to this, but I wanted to make sure. When I bought my quad it had the Edelbrock with the thumb throttle. The only way to go to a twist throttle is to get the twist throttle Edelbrock carb right? There is no way to convert it I don't think, but I figured I would ask. I am not sure if I even want to do it, but I was curious.

It's just a different cable with the twist throttle grip added.

Latest posts

Back