Twin cyl 500cc Warrior build

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this might be a dumb idea but have u thought about putting the radiator in the rear with a fan?

Started out with the original EX500 radiator and didnt like how it was working out, it was just too tall to work the frame rails up over the top and back down and keeping it under the stock hood:
2010-12-09212451.jpg

Ended up with a Honda VF 750 (80's?) that I picked up from Ron's Cycle Land here in Tulsa. Great guys to work with and it's an indoor salvage with TONS of parts. Pick this up with the fan and guard for $50 bucks flat and like it more than the EX radiator:
newvfrad.jpg

What do you guys think? Ideas on getting the frame rails back down to the bumper?

Will they follow the original path they were before you cut them? If not may have to refab them to go over the rad, but make them removable so you can make taking the rad out for repairs easy. Something else I see you might do for some pretection is build a rock screen out of some small grid expanded metal, and might but flairs coming back at a angle according to how far the wheels turn in might keep some dirt and stuff out of it. Unless you are behind another rider throwing a bad ass roost that rad might not get that dirty, just make a routine deal after every ride back flush it, water from the backside out the front to flush the dirt out.

Bones, I will get a pic up when I can, woke up this morning and found that my computer had crapped on its self so I will be posting from my phone untill it comes back from samsung. Basically the frame rails have been cut out up to where the bracket for the shocks are. In a previous post there should be a picture.

Will they follow the original path they were before you cut them? If not may have to refab them to go over the rad, but make them removable so you can make taking the rad out for repairs easy. Something else I see you might do for some pretection is build a rock screen out of some small grid expanded metal, and might but flairs coming back at a angle according to how far the wheels turn in might keep some dirt and stuff out of it. Unless you are behind another rider throwing a bad ass roost that rad might not get that dirty, just make a routine deal after every ride back flush it, water from the backside out the front to flush the dirt out.

I plan on this and may use some thin aluminum, or I saw on another build some this rubber was used to make an inner fender well, I may use something like that, not sure yet.

Elwood, I checked the link but its dead.

Yeah I searched the site and I guess he doesn't carry them anymore. He had a really small motocycle rad. with electric fans for about $50. It would have fit between the fame rails, or under the hood.

Well, I guess its time to raise the dead. I recently moved and moving cost ate up all my money for a while. Just a few days ago I got the garage cleared enough to start doing some work again.

I had not been able to even work on the new radiator after picking it up until today. I used some bar strap to mount the top to the frame rails and did the same for the bottom. It was quick, easy, and shouldnt look too bad once all welded up. Sorry for the crappy cell phone picks:

edittopmount.jpg

editbottommount.jpg

editside.jpg

editsiderear.jpg

editfrontwithplasticswithoutradguard.jpg

I will be going from the upper frame rails down behind the rad and fan to the lower rails where the A arms meet the frame. Once the frame is complete it should all fall together pretty quick. Its hot out, 115* today, so I only get a little done each time I go out. Hopefully I will be able to get a few hours in each day! The saga continues!

I was wondering what happened to you. Can't wait to see this thing done, def going to have to post some vids

Thanks Elwood, good to see I am not the only one drooling to get this thing done.

Im having a hell of a time getting the thermostat mounted, the one off the EX has off set and tilted mounting points. Any good ideas where I can find a small remote type thermostat housing? Searched FleaBay and some on Goog but didnt turn much up.

Here is a pick, you can see the 2 bolts that are in the strangest posistion.
thermo.jpg

Well I kinda kicked myself in the ass today, I was way over thinking the bracket. Went down to Lowe's to see what kind of steel they sold and was suprised that they have a decent selection. Needless to say after about 10 minutes of fab with the new steel I got her mounted and have the coolant lines ran from the motor to the thermo. The lines to the radiator are a little bigger and even with some heat and dish soap it was NOT working out. Seems like after some new hoses and a 'puke' bottle the coolant system will be done. Im thinking of maybe something that stands out a little for the overflow bottle, maybe a old liquor bottle or a small nitrous bottle or something. Ideas?

Back