Twin cyl 500cc Warrior build

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burndout

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been working on my winter project on the weekends and its all coming together. The only issue I am having right now is how/where/what kind of radiator to use. Here are some pictures of the build:

Radiator - I dont like this idea
2010-12-09212451.jpg

2010-12-09212309.jpg

2010-12-09202718.jpg

2010-12-09202731.jpg

Front motor mount and frame gusset's:
2010-12-09202623.jpg

2010-12-09202524.jpg

Rear Motor Mounts:
2010-12-09202642.jpg

2010-12-09202508.jpg

rightreartopmotormounts-1.jpg

I made new upper frame rails buy sliding 7/8ths inch round bar through the stock frame rail up front and used the old frame rails to slip over and saddle the new frame rails. They are pinned in with 5/32nd cotter pins so the upper frame rails can be removed, incase the motor blows I dont have to cut the motor out. The rear frame rails were dont simliar, I gusseted in another 7/8ths round bar in the corner of the tail section and is held in with pins also.
2010-12-09202557.jpg

2010-12-09202429.jpg

2010-12-09202447.jpg

rearcrossbargussetairboxwithseatandplastics2-1.jpg

With the plasitcs, I only needed to trim a little off the rear and a little off the seat.
2010-12-09212252.jpg

2010-12-09212342.jpg

topviewwithseatandplastics.jpg

I was thinking about using dirt bike radiators in the place of the bottom of the front fenders.... hell i dont know... HELP!

i'd mount them where the front gas tank mounts are or you might be able to mount them like where the sides of you rad is now if you put the bars back in there

Last edited:
i'd mount them where the front gas tank mounts are or you might be able to mount them like where the sides of you rad is now if you put the bars back in there

under or over the plastics?

that would be the side of the rad

thats a good idea, the exhaust is gonna come out and down under the motor so i dont think that would be an issue with them mounted there, thanks for the input, ill look for the deminsions of the rads and mock something up to see how it would work..

What about a fiberglass front hood? I looked around on YouTube and it seems rather straight forward, I could tape off the stock hood and use clay to build up the inside and use aluminim to make up where the radiator would mount. Maybe I am biting off a little more than I can chew with this one and end up with a pro-street looking snorkle when I wanted something like a banshee. Damn.

I would have considered not cutting the frame and just laying the rad down like the oil cooler mod somehow. Banshee location (up high) would look better but I understand that the Kaw rad may be larger. Definitely keep the stock rad fan functional too. I've owned several EX500's, and though I don't remember ever hearing one of them with the fan running, I would not omit it.

I like the previously mentioned KLR600 idea. Put them in the Banshee location. Or maybe look into a smaller single rad. I'd bet you can get away with it, as the EX only puts out like 50hp-ish. My early ('84-86) Ninja 900's rad was smaller than the EX I think, and they were 95hp stock. The 900 fan ran a lot, but never overheated. Yes, bigger is better, but you're limited here. Worry about scoops and hoods later.

Just curious, why did you use 1/4" for the mounts and gussets? :eek: Seems waaaaay overkill to me. Eighth would be more than sufficient and be much easier to work with. Consider drilling some lightening holes in the gussets, (like the factory frame gusset by the left footpeg) to lighten it up.
JMO.

Are you going to use the stock header pipes into a single muffler?

Last edited:
What about your gas tank? under the seat?

The tank will either be in the stock place modded to fit or in the tail section to have a bigger one, if in the tail section I will have to have a fuel pump since the carbs are gravity fed.

Why did I use 1/4? I had 20 feet laying around. I thought about drilling the holes, my dad helped me with the welding and was hell bent on the 1/4 too - I think he was afraid the front would bend and I would get hurt.

so i was think little more about this and came up with a way to get the rad right in front of the motor so it get lots of air with out cuting your plastics

2010-12-09202524-1.jpg

cut the red out and add the blue that should give you lots of room for something like a yfz450 rad than make some scoops for the sides of the rad out of sheet metal

I cut out a piece of cardboard to see what I have to work with, 16 wide and 8.5 tall is the max that would fit like this. I look into Raptor 700 and yfz450's but they seem to be too tall, if I run one wide I could get away with a fan in the middle or one on the side.... any thoughts?
cardboard.jpg

I like the one you had mocked in there., I can imagine it with a cool cover over it and the bars re-wielded to finish it all off.

How you plan to run your pipes?

I like the one you had mocked in there., I can imagine it with a cool cover over it and the bars re-wielded to finish it all off.

How you plan to run your pipes?

I plan on doing a 2 to 1 and use my old White Brothers E Series. The plan is to come down out of the front and use the stock pipes all the way to the back of the motor as they make an H pipe just before where the slipons went. The H will be removed and will a Y pipe will tie them together and then up to the WB and use the most of the pipe as I can. It will be tight but the stock header pipe fit in the bike frame and huggs close to the motor, and a skid will be on the bottom to protect the pipes and the presious oil filter up front. I thought about using a box style pipe under the motor because it is wide but not very tall. I gotta figure the fuel tank out before i can even think about the pipes. I saw a build similar to this where the guy had used the Nerf bar pipe as exhaust and dumped them just before the rear tire, i just think it would melt the nerf straps though.

Guys, I need some help with radiator sizes, it's gonna need to be 8" or less tall and can be up to 16" wide..... HELP!

Back