stroker motor update

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bickel76

Reaction score
this is probably going to be a thread that will go on for months and months to come. i started polishing my case today and had some pretty good results. i only spent about 2-3 hours on it today. here are a few pics of the progress.
PolishingMotorDay1a.jpg

PolishingMotorDay1b.jpg

PolishingMotorDay1c.jpg

in the third picture you can see what happens when your chain breaks and you dont have a case saver. pisses me off that i didnt ask about that when i ordered the motor. oh well

Yep....I'll be pulling my motor and dropping it off with you in the coming months :) HAHA

I need to come visit you sometime soon anyway, now I really want to check this engine out. One day I won't be so busy and get over there.

sorry guys, i wasnt thinking. i guess i should have posted this in the pics section. pelphrey, feel free to move it if you want to.

Dude, you're the man! I wouldn't even have the patience to do just the clutch cover, much less the entire engine with all those rough surfaces and hard to reach spots. It's not even finished yet, and it's already BY FAR the best looking YFM motor I ever saw.

Looking good bro any tips other than alot of that elbow grease.

What kinda polish and what kind of buffer did you use?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
polishing bricks and a die grinder with a buffing attachment

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47869
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93621
those are the two tools. i dont have the mini die grinder yet. i'll probably pick one up tomorrow.
http://www.hobbytool.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=430
and that is the polishing kit that i've been using.

to be honest with you guys, the pictures make it look better than it really is, but she is comin along a hell of a lot quicker than i thought it would. i wouldnt recommend trying to polish it while still in the quad. probably something to consider during the winter months.

Looks great

Just one question... why?

After one ride in the mud and water its going to look just like before and you cant polish much without taking out the motor. Unless your just going to dune ride it or something.

the main reason is that it gives me something to do. yeah, i know that it will be a pain to keep up with. while i'm saving up for all the parts, the motor is just sitting there. the tools are cheap and it doesnt cost anything to polish it.

Looks great

Just one question... why?

After one ride in the mud and water its going to look just like before and you cant polish much without taking out the motor. Unless your just going to dune ride it or something.

and either way, it will look better than the one thats in it now

thats looks pretty sick right there... i was trying it on my bumber but it only came out as like a Bright silver... not crome looking... but that looks sick man

no freakin way would i sit there n polish all of that. you have some patience my friend. but when it gets all muddy n crudded up are you gonna do it again??looks good but not for my type of riding.

i'm not sure what i'm gonna do once it gets all muddy. we have something to spray on motors that is like a clearcoat, but i dont know how long it lasts. it will be easy to spray that stuff on when the motor is out of the chassis, but i dont know about when it is installed.

What did u use to strip the old paint off with?

i tried a number of strippers and a stripper called aircraft stripper seemed to work the best, but it was a bitch. i had most of it off, but it would have taken me days to get the tight spots stripped. the factory paint didnt want to bubble up like spray can paint. after i got fed up with trying to strip it, i decided to try the sandblaster. it worked like a charm. i dont recommend it unless you plan on tearing your motor apart. i had my stator cover on tight, but didnt have a gasket on it and there is now sand in there. no big deal since it is getting totally rebuilt.

Back