stroker motor update

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you get to the head you WILL have to replace the rockers and their pivot assemblies if you don't pull them out with a slide hammer first. I did the paint stripping first and when I put the motor back together the exhaust side rocker seized on me. I put plenty of oil on it but it wasn't enough, you'll need assembly lube. That is the reason I haven't got my quad up and running yet, I'll be pulling the motor back out and pulling the rocker arm out in a week or so. I'm currently building a slide hammer specifically for those little bastards. You're motor is looking pretty damn good, but you better apply some sort of urethane or epoxy coat if you want it to last. Remember that the more you keep polishing and buffing that your case will get thinner also. To get your cylinder polished up quicker use the red scotch brite pads, that'll greatly accelerate your progress.

yea it looks really good, if i were you id showcase that thing in my living room, thats way to much work to get dirty ridin, i could see polishing a clutch cover, but unless your anal, you wont want to go over the motor with a q-tip everytime you ride just my $.02, good work cant wait to see pictures

lol. my dad said i should put it on my computer desk. i'm hoping that there will be some way that i can clearcoat it. i havent looked into that yet. i just know abou the spray that used car dealers use to make their motors look all clean and shiny. we bought some but arent sure how long it will last. if anyone knows of a clear that will hold up to the heat, let me know.

make sure you try it on something thats not noticable, I would hate to hear that you polished everything and than some spray messed up your work. Also, just a thought, it might be real hard to get the engine into the quad and back together without getting it dirty before you spray and heat it up by the engine so you may want to invest in some sort of heat lamp. Or will it just dry and be fine without heating?

i will have to make sure, but i think that it will dry on its own, but just take a lot longer. i was concerned about that. i dont want to put it in and then have to try and paint it. if that is what i have to do, then i will just have to take off as much as i can and mask off the rest. i will probably do like you suggested and use a heat lamp or some ceramic heaters.

spraying a clearcoat over polished aluminum will turn it a yellowish color over time....so be careful. You would have to have it powder coated clear to hold up for a long time.

spraying a clearcoat over polished aluminum will turn it a yellowish color over time....so be careful. You would have to have it powder coated clear to hold up for a long time.

i didnt know they could powder coat clear. i might have to look into that.

when you say it will turn yellowish over time, how long do you mean?

lol i had fun polishing this weekend, oil filter cover and my moded brake lever. Found the miracle of Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish, stuff is #1 in my book.

ne pictures yet, sorry im really excited to see how it turns out, have you been able to get ne farther, keep my updated.

i'll try and take some pics today after we get done riding. i've gotten a little further on it. i've pulled the top end off so i could reach some of the tighter spots. it looks a lot better, but since my digital camera is so cheap, i dont know if you will be able to see much of a difference.

i put a couple of pics of where i'm at right now with polishing. i've probably only spent 9-10 hours on it so far, so i still have a looooong way to go. i posted them on my webshots page under "warrior misc" and they are titled polishing motor day 3a, 3b, 3c, and 3d.

Its lookin real good. About how many more hours of polishing till your finished? Its gonna look so good.

i have no idea how long it will take to get it perfect. i think i finally have all the tools to get the job done. the 1/8" mini air die grinder and felt bobs helped out a lot for the really tight places.

wat grade sandpaper r ya up to? 300 grit, 500 grit, 1000 grit, haha thats the only way to really say how far you are, hours mean nothing.

for the majority of it, i'm not using sandpaper. i'm just using the two die grinders and 4 different grades of rubbing compound. i probably should have started with sandpaper. i might try a small spot and see how it turns out. i was only pointing out the hours showing that it doesnt take all that long to get a shine. obviously not a mirror, but a shine nonetheless

yea die grinders are the way to go, I just did a piece of stainless and really appreciated not having to use 5 different types of sandpaper, any new pics? sorry to bother, but Ive always wondered what something like an engine would look like all polished out.

Back