Stock Machine vs. Mod Weight

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reactant

Reaction score
So... what's y'alls thoughts on stock/as close to versus heavy modding? They obviously both have their downfalls and benefits. From my point of view, these are what I can see...

Stock benefits include:
Manufacture recommended
More options
Well-rounded, not centered for a single thing
Ensured reliability (at least with Warriors)

And downfalls:
Not superior for one thing
May lack in power and/or speed
Factory stuff may be limiting quad unnecessarily
Easier to work on (complies exactly with the manual)

Modded benefits include:
Can optimize for a certain riding style
More power
Lighter
More speed
Better suspension

And downfalls:
More people are modding nowadays, so you're less unique
May loose reliability
Doesn't comply (exactly) with manual anymore
Maybe voids a warranty

Now, obviously I'm trying to look at this in a most logical way possible, not focusing on my or anyone's personal opinion, but I do cross the line in a few places. Notice how "certain riding style" is highly emphasized. This is because basically everything in the "Modded Quad benefits" section is based on what you decide to do. You can't have everything for every possible riding condition with a modded quad, so you pick and choose for your purpose. Keep in mind, when I say modded, I don't mean exhaust & filter, I mean exhaust, filter, cam, bore and/or hi/comp., plastic shaping, every possible thing you could do to the suspension and frame, everything.

Also note that style comes into play here too, but is based on opinion. Some LOVE the stock look, feel, taste, and everything in between, while others want to augment their machine in every which way to where it's eye candy for them.

Not trying to make a choice or anything, I'd just like to see where people stand on the subject of modding. As in my sig., I have light mods to fit my needs (woods), just want to see how people see it when looking at it in a black-and-white perspective.

I am definitely favoring the modding side of this argument. For me, it's just as fun to customize and make the quad your own as it is to ride. I enjoy feeling the changes I have made on my quad as added performance when riding, especially on the custom pieces I have made.

I am definitely favoring the modding side of this argument. For me, it's just as fun to customize and make the quad your own as it is to ride. I enjoy feeling the changes I have made on my quad as added performance when riding, especially on the custom pieces I have made.
Can definitely see what you're saying. I love modding too, but there's just something about seeing a totally stock machine that's been kept in pristine condition…it's a great sight.

#1 Negative of a large modification... Large span of down time that would've been better spent riding. Can't feed withdrawals with the 25 cent helicopter in front of the grocery store!

#1 Negative of a large modification... Large span of down time that would've been better spent riding. Can't feed withdrawals with the 25 cent helicopter in front of the grocery store!
Totally overlooked that! Very true!

That's why you do it during the winter months. I never ride during the winter. Best time to tear a machine down to the bare frame. Just get all parts collected before taking the machine out of commission.

That's why you do it during the winter months. I never ride during the winter. Best time to tear a machine down to the bare frame. Just get all parts collected before taking the machine out of commission.
True, if I didn't like riding in the winter so damn much! I find the lack of traction quite interesting!

I ride in the winter too, and enjoy it a lot. The perfect time to work on your quad is late fall-early winter. It's cold out, but no snow. When I mod, only mod a little at a time. Usually I can get the mods installed in one or two days, and then ride when done. This way, I'm never out of a quad and can still change parts on it. Now when I eventually frame off the quad, then yes, that'll be done during the winter.

My niece and nephews always make me drag them around on something whenever we get snow. But I'd be riding in it regardless.

I have never heard anybody describe winter time lack of traction as "interesting"! I may have just pee'd myself a tiny bit!

Turning a Banshee into a solid hunk of ice can happen faster than you think. When ya get the K&N's a little damp and they freeze... **** stops working! I bought the Warrior because the Banshee is temporarily dismembered and I needed something to ride.

Reactant...ya gotta get a pair of 4SNOW's. The lack of traction is not quite as interesting! ROFL!!!

thats exactly what im doing right now... but money is tight with christmas and all... need to sell more of my parts!

My niece and nephews always make me drag them around on something whenever we get snow. But I'd be riding in it regardless.

I have never heard anybody describe winter time lack of traction as "interesting"! I may have just pee'd myself a tiny bit!

Turning a Banshee into a solid hunk of ice can happen faster than you think. When ya get the K&N's a little damp and they freeze... **** stops working! I bought the Warrior because the Banshee is temporarily dismembered and I needed something to ride.

Reactant...ya gotta get a pair of 4SNOW's. The lack of traction is not quite as interesting! ROFL!!!
Lol I just go for a turn, go into a drift, and come about 4 in. away from slamming into a tree. I just think to myself, "Holy ****, that was close!...........faster!"

WP_20151028_11_51_06_Pro_zpsupbpo7px.jpg

Too cold for me. Have no place to ride around my house anyway. The only place to go for a day trip is closed until April. I've been tempted to ride Hatfield in the winter. But, the though of trudging through snow, cold, most likely wet, just doesn't give me a hard-on.

Too cold for me. Have no place to ride around my house anyway. The only place to go for a day trip is closed until April. I've been tempted to ride Hatfield in the winter. But, the though of trudging through snow, cold, most likely wet, just doesn't give me a hard-on.
I do pretty good, bring soup and hot cocoa for when I start to freeze. I usually don't end up being super cold much. I just stay super jumpy to keep the heart rate up.

I think everyone I know (including myself) who rides in the winter uses the exhaust to keep warm.

That's a damn fine Warrior!

Thank you kindly Sir... I don't always have the Snows out back. It had been raining for days when I took the picture. Somehow they set it off but I'll be damn if I know why. Motosport had a ridiculous tire sale on cyber Monday and I got a pair of Artrax MXT-R 19x10-9's for $80!

Latest posts

Back