Starting a Mild Rebuild/Cleanup/Maintenance have some Q's

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreded

Reaction score
Ok.. so after read a fair number of posts I have concluded that everyone seems to buy the tusk clutch kit, whats the difference between the Heavy duty springs and standard?

I bought this bike used a couple years ago but have not ridden it a lot as I have a 400ex and a Prairie 650 but now I wanna clean this thing up and have no idea whats been done etc(i doubt much has been as looks wise its stock) Any easy way to check if it needs new rings/piston aside from a compression check? Like I mean being more sure than what a compression check would provide

Im not clear on how to check the timing.. I know there is the inspection cap and that needs to line up to the T but where is the second point of interest?

When checking the valves how do I know its on a compression stroke?

Oh and last but not least 2 of my A-Arm bushings will not take grease.. the gun goes on solid but I can press the handle down for the life of me, do I just need to disassemble and clean or replace? What bran a-arm bushing kit would you recommend? This look good? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Warr...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a736d6c73&vxp=mtr

Also I went to tighten the engine mount bolts and both front and back where stripped so I cut the bolts out(man they are hard steel) and the upper mount is broken off on one side so I ordered a new set of upper mounts of ebay for $27 shipped

Couple images after 15min of work, Cant believe how easy this thing is to pull apart... To pull the same area apart on that prairie behind it took me about 1.5h
20120423_200057.jpg

20120423_195433.jpg

Last edited:
Is there anyway to return the frame and heal guards back to factory condition? i dont think they are painted I think might be powder coated? its kind of a matte silver colour

yeah lots of elbow grease lol nice tires man

frame appears to be rusting in some spots however i believe its supposed to be aluminum is the entire frame aluminum?

Not sure if you are making fun of my bald back tires or actually complementing them lol

no it's all steal strip it all down and paint or powder coat everything about the only way to get it looking new again

frame appears to be rusting in some spots however i believe its supposed to be aluminum is the entire frame aluminum?

Not sure if you are making fun of my bald back tires or actually complementing them lol
I like the front tires

I like the front tires

thanks.. they wear really well.. they are BKT Wings a friend just bought some from a local tire shop for $75ea for rears and $60ea for fronts.. they last well, ride well and are cheap how can you go wrong? :p

I know I asked quite a # of questions, dont expect one person to answer them all so if you know the answer to one please say so :)

My most pressing Q at this time is if a compression check is a good enough way to determine if I need a rebuild

Dont buy the tusk clutch, get barnett or driveline

thanks barnett is to expensive for my blood so driveline it is... this quad is mainly going to be used by my GF so it wont get a ton of abuse or use even

How much harder do the stiffer clutch springs make it to pull the clutch lever?

a lot but that clutch grabs good, ive pulled a couple short holeshots because of them

my GF can hardly pull the clutch lever as it is LOL.. maybe ill install the stronger springs and do the raptor clutch mod at the same time I would assume this would level it out :p

th_motormount1.jpg
th_engmtn2welded.jpg
I just welded mine (upper eng. mounts) n reinforced with a washer welded in. (Bones...lol) Im also in process of sandblasting and gonna repaint frame n all components. We be kinda doing the same thing together, ill b checking up with ya, im stripped except for motor n wiring harness (that scares me...took **** loads of pics) I got some threads you may wanna glance at, some info there.

Last edited:
th_motormount1.jpg
th_engmtn2welded.jpg
I just welded mine (upper eng. mounts) n reinforced with a washer welded in. (Bones...lol) Im also in process of sandblasting and gonna repaint frame n all components.

good job on the welding.. I was going to weld a washer onto it but then saw new ones where only $20 and my welding skills are currently sub par so bought new :p

I used to own a sandblaster but now I am either going to have to do it by hand or take it someplace to be blasted probably do it with the aid of a random orbital sander and then do by hand where it cant reach

another tool I sold a while back was a Bead blaster.. I sure would love to have that still I always regret selling tools.. Felt like I never used it but in reality I used it all the time for small crap like cleaning bolts or spark plugs

Never bought a spark plug when I owned the bead blaster.. just pulled it out bead blasted, re-gapped and re-installed

well i have old quart style sand blaster, cant get a nozzle any were, so I bought 1 at harbor crap, will not shoot medium grade black beauty, but i did run sifted play sand today and it worked ok, gotta be easier and quicker than sanding i think, it was $20 w/ there 20% coupon, i got about 10 cfm at peak from compressor, ill b back at it today.

Last edited:
Ok well I did some major cleanup and forgot to take pictures.. I decided not to repaint it as the powder coating for the most part was in great shape and I found some paint that was a dead on match so I sanded the bad spots and painted it.

Now I know its running rich so I need to Tune the carb, I just dont understand how to know what jets to buy etc. I seem to recall that the dynojet kit isnt very good on the warriors and you guys recommend Keihin jets can I get those in a kit? Do I need a kit? do I need to buy like 10 jets so I have enough to adjust up and down? I just dont have a clue where to start on the whole jetting thing and I have read 100's of posts on here about it and people talk as if they all have a giant drawer full of jets so its easy to try this or that

Thats a nice looking bike loving the front tires and im not much of a mechanic but i believe the way to check the timing is to line up the T and stick a screwdriver pencil whatever works in the spark plug hole and see if ur piston is top dead center. Atleast thats what my mechanic did when we changed my piston on my raptor

Thats a nice looking bike loving the front tires and im not much of a mechanic but i believe the way to check the timing is to line up the T and stick a screwdriver pencil whatever works in the spark plug hole and see if ur piston is top dead center. Atleast thats what my mechanic did when we changed my piston on my raptor

damn I feel dumb now lol.. seems so obvious, Thanks for the tip

Back