Shifting?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atv

Reaction score
OK well i was just talking to my neibor about wheelieing and somhow we got into this convo about shifting and he told me only when ur startin and down shiftin you use the clutch but say if ur shifting from 2nd to 3rd do u use the clutch? cause he said that u dont an thats why people pass you

No matter the situation I always use the clutch. Practice makes perfect. I use the clutch while shifting gears in a wheelie or drag racing, trail riding D.) All the Above...The only way to get better and faster is to practice.

I would explain the differance's between shifting with and without useing the clutch, but someone's gonna hop up and shoot their blah blah bull at me. ::)

I dont use the clutch on wheelies, but I have been practicing with it, funny how when you pop the clutch on two wheels you land on your ass ;D

It depends on the situation. I usually use the clutch when trail riding because the gears don't mesh quite as smoothly at the lower speeds and rpms. On the race tracks, in fields, the road, and other open areas I usually shift without the clutch and never had a problem with doing so.

ok lol well ill still use the clutch but i was just wonderin lol ty

Posted by YamaRider on Today at 7:58pm
It depends on the situation. I usually use the clutch when trail riding because the gears don't mesh quite as smoothly at the lower speeds and rpms. On the race tracks, in fields, the road, and other open areas I usually shift without the clutch and never had a problem with doing so.

I know what you mean man, seems like as the revs go up the shifting smooths out

yea well he did PRO MX for motocross and says that the tranny is syncronized... or sumtin like that and i was thiinking maybe it was only for dirtbikes...

Go ahead, tach it up and shift it through a few gears, it will never be able to take it for long. Using that method while going slow is ok, but if your really getting on it your only asking for bad things to happen, the clutch is there use it. Another thing, by using the clutch you can gain some rpms inbetween shifts.

yea i told him im not sshifting lol cause i was selling it anyway so im not going to beat on it

Go ahead, tach it up and shift it through a few gears, it will never be able to take it for long. Using that method while going slow is ok, but if your really getting on it your only asking for bad things to happen, the clutch is there use it. Another thing, by using the clutch you can gain some rpms inbetween shifts.

It won't hurt anything, it's a constant mesh transmission, they're designed to be able to shift without the clutch. My uncle has been riding his motorcycles like that for 20 years and never had anything go wrong. And that's how all the racers shift, whether it be quads, dirt bikes, or motorcycles. It's all the same design, the only way that you can remotely hurt anything is if you try downshifting while decelerating hard, and if the shifter feels stuck and you force it anyways and bend a shift fork. It's pretty hard to do that, it's a good rule of thumb that you should never force a shifter, clutch or not.

[quote:tzlwsp58]Go ahead, tach it up and shift it through a few gears, it will never be able to take it for long. Using that method while going slow is ok, but if your really getting on it your only asking for bad things to happen, the clutch is there use it. Another thing, by using the clutch you can gain some rpms inbetween shifts.

It won't hurt anything, it's a constant mesh transmission, they're designed to be able to shift without the clutch. My uncle has been riding his motorcycles like that for 20 years and never had anything go wrong. And that's how all the racers shift, whether it be quads, dirt bikes, or motorcycles. It's all the same design, the only way that you can remotely hurt anything is if you try downshifting while decelerating hard, and if the shifter feels stuck and you force it anyways and bend a shift fork. It's pretty hard to do that, it's a good rule of thumb that you should never force a shifter, clutch or not.[/quote:tzlwsp58]

Exactly what he was saying...

Look at the EZ pull lever assemblies at magicracing. They use the cr lever style from a honda and bring the lever much closer to the bars, and also make it much easier to use the clutch due to less friction. That lever right there will make you just as fast at shifting with the clutch as without the clutch at all. Remember you don't have to pull the lever all the way either once your into first. I wouldn't dare skip using the clutch, there is no need to if you can fix the speed problem with a simple lever, especially when you just want to toss the parking brake in the first place. Remember the real pros in mx and such buy a new motor or completely rebuild on average once a year, and it's for a good reason too... ;D ;D ;D

[quote:0c06k97w]Go ahead, tach it up and shift it through a few gears, it will never be able to take it for long. Using that method while going slow is ok, but if your really getting on it your only asking for bad things to happen, the clutch is there use it. Another thing, by using the clutch you can gain some rpms inbetween shifts.

It won't hurt anything, it's a constant mesh transmission, they're designed to be able to shift without the clutch. My uncle has been riding his motorcycles like that for 20 years and never had anything go wrong. And that's how all the racers shift, whether it be quads, dirt bikes, or motorcycles. It's all the same design, the only way that you can remotely hurt anything is if you try downshifting while decelerating hard, and if the shifter feels stuck and you force it anyways and bend a shift fork. It's pretty hard to do that, it's a good rule of thumb that you should never force a shifter, clutch or not.[/quote:0c06k97w] That reminds me of this confused teenager that didnt know where the kickstart was on my friends dirtbike and was trying to kickstart it with the shifter and he screwed it right up.

omg thats the funniest thing i've heard all day ^^^^^ ;D i wish i coulda seen that, i've seen dumb people do dumb things but never seen anyone do that.

I use one starting off and downshifting hard. Otherwise no. Most truck drivers do the same thing on big rigs but they call it "floating" the gears. It is much easier with an atv or bike but the basics are the same, if the rpms are right, it will go in slick as a whistle. If you aren't comfortable with it don't do it.

Back