Shifting?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no, floating the gears is basically when you have the engine and trans spinning at a close enough speed where you can switch gears without feeling it really change too much. We used to do it in my friends maxima, you would rev past the natural shift point, and pull it out of gear while slowly easing off the gas, and hold the stick right before the point of engagement inside the trans. You can basically feel when it's close enough to just pop into gear without any grinding.
BUT I Would not say to do any of this under any acceleration nor deceleration. just because the change in speed with the different gear ratios may cause some grinding (minimal, but some). you want it so it's holding it's speed pretty level, and if anything, just under that so it's barely slowing down at all.
~Bill

Not necessarily, since you don't have to disengage the throttle like you would by pulling in the clutch, you are only easing off of it so the acceleration is momentarily paused, and your holding your speed at it's current rate. You only should have to go from WOT to like 3/4 or 1/2 at most. After you shift, you can get right back on it.
~Bill

Usually when trying to go fast i dont let off the throttle between shifts.

Anyway if your good enough with the clutch and shifting you shouldnt have it in for more than a few hundreths of a second. Not to mention you gain rpms between shifts and dont have to let off the throttle. Both are good methods but if you can use a clutch good its faster.

I would agree with you there ds, if you time your shifting good enough you should really be able to use the clutch quick enough. That ez pull lever made it possible for me.

Anyway if your good enough with the clutch and shifting you shouldnt have it in for more than a few hundreths of a second. Not to mention you gain rpms between shifts and dont have to let off the throttle. Both are good methods but if you can use a clutch good its faster.

The same could be said for the other...lol. I know several people, including myself, that have rode quads and bikes for years without replacing any clutch components and seldom using a clutch. In a big truck it takes a while to get used to it. Maybe it is the same with a warrior/raptor. I've done it for so long that it is just natural. Although, when downshifting, you actually accelerate the motor to make the transition smoothly. Why argue over this at all. If you like it...good, if not..good.

BTW, this has been covered several times before, here is one: http://www.yfm350.proboards31.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=quadrelated&thread=1143961997&page=1

Yes, it does lower the pull, and the lever is much closer to the bars.

Back