Registering ATVs

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kreed5821

Reaction score
It is in legislation to make it where atv's in GA have to be registered. I know some of you are in states where this kind of law already exists. Seems like a lot of people down here think that it will drastically reduce the number of atv thefts. I don't agree, because most cops are not going to check the numbers on the bike against the tag anyway...lol and a lot of people will just part em out. What do ya'll think?

YEP...and here in NY you are supose to be registered...I havent had mine reg. yet but i guess its time ..only because i dont need to pay for any fines from the law...I have had way to many close calls..hehehe

But i say no!

I know here in NJ, if you don't have your quad, dirt bike, or whatever you have, insured and registered, if you get stopped by the police than you get it impounded because you can't prove you own it, and it's not a legal (off road/all terrain) motor vehicle in NJ. And you can't get it out of the impound lot with out the registration and insurance. I only have mine done so I'm not hassled by them.
I'm not sure if it is meant to deter theft, as much as it is to get a few more $$$ from us that own them. But if one does get impounded they check the numbers and see if it is registered to anyone, then they contact the person to have them come retrieve it. BUT I am not sure if mine was stolen, then impounded, if when I go to get it from the impound if I personally will have to pay the charges of the tow and the spot in the lot ($85 just for the hook up for tow, then however much in the lot per day cost).
But since I don't know if registration would deter theft, I didn't vote in the poll.
~Bill

I wish I knew the statistics for atv theft in states with registration vs. states without it. I think it is just more taxes...lol Like you said $$$$

You can vote though, it is just opinions unless someone can find a study on it.

Its the same as a car plate, you can get in trouble without actually getting caught. Thats the only reason that they have them, that and the money they get from registration.

No here in NJ you don't get a plate w/ the registration, no lpates, no sticker, nothing, just the paper registraion, and paper insurance card, which your supposed to keep with you while riding. and prior to me having my paper work done, I would just run when the lights and sirens were behind me...
~Bill

Californa makes you buy a sticker to ride, but there is no way to know it belongs to a certain person.

Actually I think it's optional here in NY.

Trust me..as far as i know from last year its not optional....been stopped by the law and D.E.C.,never been ticketed but have had alot of threats and warnings..lol

[quote:dsz4xkil]How do you get in trouble if you don't get caught?

You DOn't[/quote:dsz4xkil]

All they need is your plate number and they can run it and find out everything about you, just like a car. So if somone has your plate numbers you might as well just stop cause your screwed even more if you run.

They just started requiring ATV registration in Oklahoma last July.

When I bought my sons Raptor I bought it as used, even though it had been owned for less than 1 month. A guy bought it for his 4-year old daughter and she never rode it. I was told by the dealership that I did not have to register it since it was used. But when I went to the dealership to register the new 350 they told me I had to register the used one since it was purchased after July. Oklahoma charges a 4.5% excise tax on the purchase of an ATV used or new. They give you a sticker with an ID number on it that identifies it to the quad.

With that being said, if a thief sees a sticker on a quad in Oklahoma he knows it is registered and easily traceable as compared to a quad that is not registered. The police would have no way of knowing who owned it.

But of course cars are registered and they get stolen every day.
So in the end it is just more money for the MAN.

Californa makes you buy a sticker to ride, but there is no way to know it belongs to a certain person.
True-unless you get busted for something(of course you could say you borrowed it)-but if you do not have it,you cant ride

Please explain the green and red stickers to me,because I dont get it

[quote:h6rgtrsi]Californa makes you buy a sticker to ride, but there is no way to know it belongs to a certain person.
True-unless you get busted for something(of course you could say you borrowed it)-but if you do not have it,you cant ride

Please explain the green and red stickers to me,because I dont get it[/quote:h6rgtrsi]

I beleive it has something to do with the emissions.

But honestly do you think a little sticker is going to prevent someone from stealing a quad. I dont, if im going to risk stealing a 5000 dollar peice of equipment it wouldt bother me one bit.

Exactly. I have a viper car alarm on my blazer with starter kill and all the goodies. But take someone like me who installs them on a daily basis and the car is yours.

Another example: Detachable faceplates on cd players. Even if you take the faceplate off if someone wants it bad enough they will take it, it doesn't matter.

Latest posts

Back